condensor mic: rodeNT2 vs SP B1?

• Members

howdy, im looking to purchase my first (semi) decent mic and have kinda narrowed it down to these two (Rode NT3 and Studio projects B1 ) but am still open to other suggestions.

i am wanting to record acoustic and electric guitar; clean to pretty distorted, djembe, didgeridoo and voice, so need something really versatile. Should i be looking for a large diaphram condensor do u think? i have been told that the nt3 is awesome for its price, 300ish australian, almost twice as much as the B1, would it be worth the extra cash?

cheers,

mick.

• Members

the nt1 is considered the best bang for the buck out there. but I wouldnt use it for recording amps, for that you would want either a senheiser 609 or a sure sm57

the nt3 is a great mic and would do the acoustic guitar as well as vocals extreemly well, but my personal fav is the area 51 or a51 from adk. the hamburg edition is superb

• Members

Studio Projects' C1 is better than the B1, though you'll need to EQ the high-end out to get them to sound their best. Non-tube Rode mics have sucked out mids & hyped top-ends, people tend to like the sound when comparing them side-by-side other mics but they sound terrible in a mix IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

Studio Projects' C1 is better than the B1, though you'll need to EQ the high-end out to get them to sound their best. Non-tube Rode mics have sucked out mids & hyped top-ends, people tend to like the sound when comparing them side-by-side other mics but they sound terrible in a mix IMO.

not to my ears - and certainly not for most of the applications here.

I've never used the NT3, but I know the B1 does a good job on acoustic, electric and drums and will do a reasonable job on voice (And it'll do a great job on someone with a great voice)

NT3 is a very different mic - apples and oranges.

-Daniel

• Members

thanks for all the comments. Im guessing the fact that the B1 is a large diaphram compared to the smalled nt3 diaphram would make a pretty big difference but i really dont know anything about mics. you guys think i should be looking at a large diaphram?

all the music stores around here seem to love the nt3, most of them say that its a big step up from the real cheap entry level stuff, like the B1.

Archived