57 and/or 58

• Members

Are these mics the same with aesthetic differences only or are the components quite different for capturing different sources?

I'm considering a 58, but if it performs the same as a 57, why bother?

Jim

• Members

They have different response curves, due to the difference in the housings.

Which is "better" depends on what the intended puprose is. Both are good mics for vocals, instruments, etc, but not what would be considered "high end" for live, and evel less so for studio.

Both however are certainly leaders in pro audio, the sm57 is a standard for guitars and snare drums both live and in the studio, and the SM58 is the definitive live vocal standard for decades. Are they "the best"? IMHO no, but they are very good.

• Members

I would grab a 57 if you don't have one. The are very useful, and practically the standard that you compare everything else against.

You could in theory screw the cap off a 58 and practically have an 57, but that's a bit primitive. You can basically put a pop shield on a 57 and practically have a 58. The 57's are cheaper, so why not.

Be wary of these bloody chinese fakes. If you deal seems too good to be true, make some inquiries via Shure. You will be the loser otherwise.

• Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

The guy who designed both mics works at Audio Technica now. Our Audio Technica rep heard it straight from the horse's mouth.

I don't normally get this pedantic about this kind of subject, but since we did have a big argument about it I'm interested in really nailing down the true answer.

That being said...

The AT rep reporting what the designer said is a classic example of what the urban legend people (Jan Harold Brunvand has written several books on the topic) call a "Friend of a Friend", or a "FOAF". Basically all urban legends seem to happen to a FOAF, making them hard or impossible to confirm.

I'd add the question of "when did this person design the 57 and 58?". How many times have either mic been redesigned or tweaked? There's at least the transition from the Unisphere product to the SM product.

Archived