Can someone explain how to use an outboard reverb for me?

• Members

I'm still learning the ropes here!!

Right now I have a Behringer virtualizer pro (or modulizer pro...can't remember as it's been in the closet).

I haven't fully decided if I'm going to go hardware or software with the verbs. I thought I'd experiment a bit with each.

So I have this behringer lying around but I don't know how to use it.

So here's the basic elements of my setup:

I've got a PC running Cubase SL

MOTU 2408 w/PCI card.

Ramsa 12 channel console

The MOTU has 8 channels going to the Ramsa and 8 channels coming back from the ramsa.

Now if I wanted to use the hardware reverb to track, I know how to do that, it would be the same as running one through a mixer at a live show.

the problem is that I don't want to add the reverb until after the track is made.

So I'm guessing I'm going to have to record the track onto cubase, send it back into the board and add the fx at that point to my liking and then record it again like that.

Except I don't know how to do any of that. :(

Where's correct - post fader aux sends are the key here. You can do it exactly as he described - using the board, or you can do it inside of Cubase, using your audio interface.

Assign an output or two on the MOTU to aux sends in Cubase... IOW, Cubase will then send the aux send signal OUT OF the MOTU. Plug that into your effects unit. Then take the two outputs of the effects unit and patch them into two of the inputs on the MOTU. As Where said, make sure you have the wet / dry mix on the effects processor set to 100% wet. Now set up a stereo aux return in Cubase, and assign the input for that to the two hardware channels on the MOTU that you just connected the effects processor's outputs to. Raise the aux return fader, and then raise the aux send levels on the individual channel(s) / track(s) in Cubase that you want to apply reverb to.

• Members

Sounds

1) Very confusing :D (I'm still learning :( )

2) Like I don't have enough cables (for instance, it sounds like I will need some TRS cables)

3) I'm about to have to sacrifice some of the MOTU channels. This is sad as I only have 8. I'm not doing many tracks at a time or anything but I'm setting it up to where each track outside of my two monitoring tracks are dedicated to various things. (2 for keys, 1 for 57, 1 for condensor mic, 1 for bass) .

Or am I misunderstanding? Sorry to be thick guys.

I'll go home and look at this stuff a bit closer at the ins and outs and about setting up an aux send in Cubase (which I haven't done) and then I'll return and ask if I'm still confused.

:)

• Members

Probably this will help you to decide to use software reverb!

A great sounding hardware reverb, with digital i/o (s/pdif) is probably the best solution at the moment.

I made the decision to use software reverbs a few years ago, and there are some very nice plugins that are better than many budget hardware reverbs. But for all that, i'm re-considering getting a nice Lexicon or TC.

Whatever you do - don't use the Cubase reverb plugins! They are shockingly bad. You can get MUCH better reverb plugins for free, so you would be crazy not to grab them.

Convolution reverbs are useful (they basically use a sample of reverb - either real or taken from expensive hardware). SIR is the freebie for PC VST users, and you can get impulses from Echo Chamber or Noise Vault and others.

As far as algorithmn reverbs go, I like the one from www.artsacoustic.com if I wanted just one reverb to do everything. This is amazing - it even does inverse reverbs, something you pay big money for in the hardware world.

Freebies worth grabbing:

Kjaerhus Classic Reverb

Magnus Ambiance

DaSample GlaceVerb

I found an obscure freebie the other day - sorry can't remember the name - which has jumped to my #1 spot. But reverb is so subjective, and source dependant, that no 2 people can agree on what is a good reverb.

Grab them all, try the shareware demo's. I have made some amazing reverbs by combining two together (either in series or parallel). Some reverbs have smooth tails but nasty early reflections. Some have great early reflections but nasty tails. So use what works. Some can do a great smooth low end, and others can do a great smooth hi end - so layer them up. If they lack modulation - modulate them with another plugin. If they lack pre-delay, or eq - you know what to do.

You can get lost trying to make great reverbs. If you just want versatile quick easy results that are very tweakable - try the www.artsacoustic.com

Archived