Kramer Focus Any Good?

Old Rookie

• Members

Got a couple of Dragonfire or Draganfire Strats coming. I am now thinking about the Kramer Focus in surf green, but they are out of stock.

Anyone own the a Focus and what type of weight do thaey have? Also wondering if they are as solid as the Squire Standard Starts and are they any good? :confused:

• Members

I'm curious about how much are they going for now? I own an old one from the mid 80's that I pad about $400 for back then, It's basically a mid level guitar. Good enough to gig with but not even close to a first line axe. Mine always had intonation problems. The guitar tech that worked on it right after I bought it told me it could never be set perfectly due to design flaws (although he did scowl when he saw the Floyd Rose tremolo and mumbled something in German as he looked it over when I brought it in). You get what you pay for, I guess. But maybe the new Kramer's are designed better. I'm curious.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Rookie

Got a couple of Dragonfire or Draganfire Strats coming. I am now thinking about the Kramer Focus in surf green, but they are out of stock.

Anyone own the a Focus and what type of weight do thaey have? Also wondering if they are as solid as the Squire Standard Starts and are they any good?
:confused:

You gotta let us know about those DragXnfire guitars. I can't find any reviews or comments on them anywhere

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

You gotta let us know about those DragXnfire guitars. I can't find any reviews or comments on them anywhere

I have an 80 something Kramer Focus 2000 that is a nice player and stays in tune as well as any Floyd Rose equipped guitar I know of. This has a somewhat Strat style body and does not have a pointy headstock. It's weight is pretty well comparable to a regular Strat, IMO.

• Members

heavy plywood bodies. cheap non sealed tuners and the rest of the hardware is functional at best. Pups do strat sounds.

SX strat is better by several miles.

Got the boy one changed tuners and bridge and it is playable now but not a go-to guitar in a room full of budget guitars. Gathers dust pretty well though.

• Members

I got a Kramer MusicYo Focus a few years ago when they were made in Korea. The body of the Focus was plywood. The pickups were acceptable (I did replace them). The tuners were total {censored} (I got Gotoh tuners to replace them) . The other hardware was acceptable. The best part of the guitar was the neck. It had a solid feel and was very comfortable to play. I recently tore the guitar apart and used the neck, tuners and some of the hardware to construct a Frankenstrat from a MIM Fender Satin body. I don't know where they are made now.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Rookie

Anyone own the a Focus and what type of weight do thaey have? Also wondering if they are as solid as the Squire Standard Starts and are they any good?
:confused:

Into cheap guitars, are we?

• Members

Well, I'm going to give this a positive review.

My son has one of these. They are on sale at Music.Yo for $69.

This is the VT-111s.

They feel nice to play. The neck is nice. Pickups and all else is good for the price.

Weight is around 8-9 pounds.

The body is nato-alder and nato neck.

Finish on the guitar is very good.

Tuners are the typical low end but they work. The guitar stays in tune. If you do lots of bends you'll have to re-tune of course like any other.

The reviews on these guitars at HC are good.

Set up out of the box was quite good.

I'd go for it if that's your budget. As it says in the ad, buy 4.

Kramer: A division of the Gibson music company. Built to rock Hard.

As regards to SX, etc. I've got an SX LP copy. It's nice. Most of the SX guitars need some work to make them playable it seems.

The Focus was playable right out of the box.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

I have an 80 something Kramer Focus 2000 that is a nice player and stays in tune as well as any Floyd Rose equipped guitar I know of. This has a somewhat Strat style body and does not have a pointy headstock. It's weight is pretty well comparable to a regular Strat, IMO.

Make sure you don't confuse the Japanese-made 80's Kramer Foci with the current cheap (Chinese?) offering by the company with the same name.

However, if you're looking for a good used guitar, an 80's Focus 3000 has H-S-S configuration with a splitter for the hum, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, alder body, and a genuine Floyd. They usually go for $200-$300 on e-bay and are a much better deal (IMO) than the Music-Yo ones.

If you really must have a strat on a budget, find a USA made Peavey Predator. They also made them abroad beginning in the early 90's, I believe, so make sure it says "Hand Crafted in the USA" or something similar on the headstock. I've seen these go anywhere from $70-$200.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorxtman

I got a Kramer Focus yesterday. The one that's $70 now. Go back a few posts and you'll see the review. Unbelievable deal.

These inexpensive Kramer guitars are decent players. For the money their hard to beat.

And they plays pretty damn well. It feels good to play for some reason.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by acravero

Make sure you don't confuse the Japanese-made 80's Kramer Foci with the current cheap (Chinese?) offering by the company with the same name.

The one I have is Japanese.

thepair.jpg

Got it, along with a 15 watt solid state Crate amp, and a brown Gibson rectangular hard shell case for an LP for the budget busting grand total of $45.00. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Kevman

heavy plywood bodies. cheap non sealed tuners and the rest of the hardware is functional at best. Pups do strat sounds.

SX strat is better by several miles.

Got the boy one changed tuners and bridge and it is playable now but not a go-to guitar in a room full of budget guitars. Gathers dust pretty well though.

I know what you mean. I made the same mistake with my son about 10 years ago getting him a crappy laminate strat Squier. Back then they were about a $300 guitars selling for about $219 discount. So you paid more back then and got less than you do now.

I did the tuner replacement and pup replacements. Also got him black knobs and trem are to customize it a bit. Shame I didn't just spend a little more since it's still stuck with that horrid laminate body tone.

Good for stickers and "dust"!

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

The one I have is Japanese.

thepair.jpg

Got it, along with a 15 watt solid state Crate amp, and a brown Gibson rectangular hard shell case for an LP for the budget busting grand total of $45.00.
:D

I like the guitar on the left. What is that??

Archived