How many of you have a iPod or similar device...

• Members

I use it in the car, excersizing, airplane and for data storage/transfers.

I went to the extent of modifying the car cigarete adapter so that it is wired directly into the car stereo system. I bought Shure E3's for the airplane/traveling which was HUGE.

Using it for data tranfers has been more than useful...between mac/pc, software updates, sessions, plug-in settings, etc.

I'm just getting into podcasting and haven't used the ipod for that yet. I'm listening to podcasts on the ibook while I'm surfin the web as I am while posting this.

I love it. Definetly has been a useful device.

• Members

I have a gen 3 40gb. I'm in the process of getting my entire CD collection into a (separate USB buss powered) HDD. I use the itunes playlist feature to keep what I need/want for any potential show in there for preshow, along with a good selection of my current favs for listening. I have a dock for the car as well. I use isync to keep my address book and calendar up to date, make notes for certain artists live shows, it's a fabulous device, far from just a trendy fad IMHO. It is very functional and performs many things for me in a small and convenient package.

Once the CD collection is converter into the HDD( AAC@192, which unless you're critical studio listening, I defy anyone to tell the difference) I'll take my very large pile of CD's to the used CD store, pay for the ipod and all the accessories, and have a nice wad of cash left over (my collection numbers in the several hundred, the local used CD store, who knows me well, has told me they'd pay between $2-3 disc.)

I doubt I will ever buy a CD again.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I'll take my very large pile of CD's to the used CD store

Just out of curiosity, is this technically legal from a copyright standpoint? I'm honestly not saying one way or the other, and I'm seriously not trying to be an asshole or anything like that. I'm just asking. Seems like with a lot of software license agreements, you're technically not allowed to use the software any longer after you've sold it. Just wondering where music copyright law falls in a scenario like this. I could see an argument made that the iPod "backup" is only legal for the owner of the physical disc. Kinda like the "license" traveling with a software installation disc or whatever. Any copyright lawyers on here?

• Members

i have a 30 gig creative zen xtra.. images.jpeg

the things great. i use it for music on the go/portable harddrive..

i picked the creative do to being at the right place at the right time.. mine was a brand new open box discount at circuit city.. $140 over a year ago.. 30 gig was a big deal then for mp3 players.. i was also happy to see later that creative gets the best reviews for sound qaulity, so that pleased my techy side...

i use itunes for my home music library. most of my music is in apple lossless format. i export it to mp3 if i want it on my zen...

my GF has a ipod, they are a great design. if you want ease of use and total itunes integration thats the way to go.. they have also become a popular data transport device in the post audio commercial world. i see them come in allot as portable drives..

so i'd say with my experience with both if you use itunes get a ipod, use winamp or some other get a creative/iRiver.

• Members

I have a 40gig model that I got as a present a year ago. Never really used it until recently, and I'm finding the concept of storing a bunch of favorites from various albums in one place very intriguing. Seems that the car will be the place it gets used most, although the radio transmitter device sucks in terms of sound quality. Need to get a hard-wire set-up for the car.

BTW, what is the fidelity (quality) of the music transferred to the iPOD via iTunes?

• Members

Originally posted by rhythminmind

i have a 30 gig creative zen xtra..
images.jpeg

the things great. i use it for music on the go/portable harddrive..

Me too. I also got mine on sale, though not that good of a price. :mad:

I've just been burning CDs in my own collection for music on-the-go ... I use 160kbps WMA format ... seems to be the best sound-to-space compromise. I compared MP3 up to 256kpbs, WMA up to whatever its highest number was allowed, and WAV files. The WAV sounded best, then WMA, to me. But WAVs were so much "bulkier" I went with WMA.

As for the copyright question earlier, I'm not an expert but as I understand it, you may make personal copies of any intellectual property of which you already own the license. So, as long as I own my own copy of a CD, I can also make duplicates in any form I wish, as long as it's only for my personal use (ie, I'm not giving the original to a friend and keeping a burned copy or vice versa) and not selling the copy.

Conversely, I suppose burning the CD or ripping it to a hard drive and then selling the original CD would be illegal because I've transferred the license then?

• Members

Originally posted by rhythminmind

the same... it just copies the file over... it's up to you to pick the format first.. look at your import settings..

Thanks, I didn't even know that option was there. Now, of course, that opens up more questions:

1) Default is AAC at 128 kbps -- any advantage of using higher kbps settings in terms of sound quality, or does this just affect transfer rate? If the latter, why not use the highest?

2) There are other encoder options, but I have no idea the advantages/disavantages of these options. Is there a short answer or a place I can go to for more info?

Thanks.

• Members

I have a Pocket PC (2003), with Media Player. I use iTunes (v5.0 just released) to find my favorite talk shows. They come in handy when I take those drives off the mountain I thought I wouldn't be doing...:rolleyes: Yes (for the interested), I use an adapter to play through the car radio.

I still put my music on CDs...

• Members

Originally posted by Bluewater

Thanks, I didn't even know that option was there. Now, of course, that opens up more questions:

1) Default is AAC at 128 kbps -- any advantage of using higher kbps settings in terms of sound quality, or does this just affect transfer rate? If the latter, why not use the highest?

2) There are other encoder options, but I have no idea the advantages/disavantages of these options. Is there a short answer or a place I can go to for more info?

Thanks.

As I noted earlier, I use AAC @192, which, after doing some pretty major critical listening, is for nomal listening, impossible to distinguish from the original.

You can (and I seriously considered this) import the 16 bit wav file, but it takes up a lot of room 9the same as the CD) I've some high end stuff that I plan on doing that with.

The advantages of going MP3 is size. You can put tens of thousands of songs in mp3 format into a 20gb ipod, but the quality suffers.

AFA importing CD audio to an HDD, you can copy it for your own use all you want legally, and you can sell the disc, you just cannot sell the copies.

• Members

Originally posted by Bluewater

Thanks.

for your ipod i would use AAC codec.. the higher the rate the better the sound and the larger the file...

i have all my music in Apple lossless or FLAC for home HIFI listening.. i then convert it to MP3 or AAC for my/my GF's player..

• Members

I'm hanging out to get one that can record 24/96 wave files and transfer them via USB2 to my PC. That way it's not just an MP3 player, but a song idea recorder and a sample sound recorder.

The Roland R1 was looking pretty good, until I saw the M-Audio MicroTrack. Our agent doesn't expect them here until December ...

• Members

I just bought a Sandisk 512MB player a couple of weeks ago. I got it prior to taking a trip to Yosemite and King's Canyon in California. It takes up a whole lot less space in my backpack (carry on luggage) so there's more room for books and other entertainment material for that long flight from the east coast.

It works great! My only complaint so far is that the ear buds don't stay in my ears, so I use the headphones from my old Kenwood CD player. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I'm hanging out to get one that can record 24/96 wave files and transfer them via USB2 to my PC. That way it's not just an MP3 player, but a song idea recorder and a sample sound recorder.

The Roland R1 was looking pretty good, until I saw the M-Audio MicroTrack. Our agent doesn't expect them here until December ...

The Sandisk 512 player I just bought has a built in mic for recording as well as a AM/FM radio and transfers files via USB 2.0

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Yuo'll be hanging a long time kiwi. the drives are very slow(4200rpm as I recall) far too slow for that type of file playback, nevermind recording.

I don't think so - they are advertising this already, and I believe it's in stock in the USA. Just takes a bit longer to get out here ...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

And it can record to compact flash. Silence is what I want.

Edit: I was meaning 24bit 96kHz - not 24 tracks. Now that would be nice :)

• Members

20GB iPod. Love it to death. I use it for all my personal CDs and it really saves the hassle of dealing with CDs.

One great audio related use for it is to throw 15 or so of my favorite tunes (Audio wise) onto a playlist and then toss my newest work in the middle, put it on shuffle and listen on the way to work.

Once it hits my piece, by surprise, it gives me a great idea of how my recording sounds against some of my favorites of all time. :)

• Members

Originally posted by rog951

Just out of curiosity, is this technically legal from a copyright standpoint?

"Space shifting" your personal music collection from one format to another for the sake of convenience is generally assumed to be a copyright fair use under the Sony line of cases.

There is no fair use argument, however, when you sell the original CDs to someone else, yet retain copies for yourself.

• Members

I had recently been an advocate of the Creative Labs line of Zen players. The price/space factor it had over iPod's made it my player of choice. I first had a 30gig version and filled it. I moved to a 40gig Zen Xtra and enjoyed it until a most annoying problem started to occur.

Creative Lab engineers had the bright idea of having the solder points of the headphone jack double as the points that hold it to the board. As you can imagine, repeated stress of plugging and unplugging headphones, as well as the stress placed on the jack itself while the phones are plugged in and pushed to either side by your bag, pocket, or whatever, eventually will cause the solder points to detach. It first starts with the left channel, and in time, the right will go too.

Creative Labs only repair option is to replace the entire board. A $125+ repair job. There are some DIY solutions out there that show how to resolder this point back together... but in the end, it will fail again eventually.

After this happened twice to me, I finally moved to a 60g iPod photo. Hands down much cooler than my Zen players in many ways. I keep my enitre CD collection on it and a multitude of podcasts.

I use the Etymotic ER6i in-ear headphones. These have to be one of the best ear-piece purchases I have ever made. They sound fantastic. Plus, being that they are in-ear, it blocks out most of the external noise from the outside environment. This makes it fantastic for me when I'm doing chores and yardwork. I'm completely immersed in the music and often forget that I'm doing manual labor. Mowing the lawn is great too now. I find I can't do any chores/labor w/o my iPod in tow. Whether I be listening to a podcast or music, it must be there :)

Of course I do the normal uses of plane trips, traveling, etc. I even love to go to stores w/ self checkouts as I don't need to talk to anyone and can have my tunes going while I shop.... I'm THAT addicted now.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

There is no fair use argument, however, when you sell the original CDs to someone else, yet retain copies for yourself.

Correct. Plus, it gives me the willies to have my music only on one or two hard drives. Too much chance of Bad Things happening. The original CDs are my ultimate backup.

Archived