Focusrite TT Pro...Neutral?

• Members

People,

Looking to move to a solid state preamp; & want basically linear amplification with little or no coloration. I know Grace Design (& even FMR) preamps fit that bill...but I'd rather have Line inputs vs. Hi-Z. The classic Focusrite stuff (Reds, ISA'a, etc.) all have signature sounds (tonal character), but then I found the Twin Trak Pro...which is solid state, transformerless & Class A.

So...how transparent are they?

Anyone have experience with this peice?

Thanks,

mark4man

• Members

The following is not a joke. My experience with the TT Pro is that it sounds quite edgy. I was super disappointed with it on vocals. I have found that it totally rocks for kick drum (with a Sure Beta 52 mic). Also if it ever needs service there is only one service center in the USA and that's in Las Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Like anything else, it'll work better on some things than on others. I just tracked an entire project trhough the TT Pro. While impressed with most of the sounds I got, sometimes the vocals didn't record quite as well as I'd hoped. It's one of those units that sounds fantastic when it is just on the brink of overloading.

But, the dynamic nature of vocals didn't lend well to the abilities of the TT Pro. My miggest complaint is lack of complete control of the dynamics. They're OK, but I'd like to have a variable control over my attack times. Also the ratio was hard wired (with the exception of a "Hard Knee button). so, basically, you had to control the amount of compression by level and "threshold" settings. Again, in highly dynamic situations, that could spell disaster.

It performed really well on virtually everything else: acoustic guitars, bass DI, mandolin, banjo, etc. But, hopefully next time I track in my buddy's 002 project studio, he has a nicer pre for vocals. I think he's eyeing a VT-737 on eBay. I could "get by" with that..;)

Cheers!

Spencer

Archived