Your favorite engineers? and their must have work..

• Members

My favorite engineer of all time so far is Jeff Balding, especially in Trisha Yearwood's album Real Live Woman, which I think sounds fantastic! Trisha Yearwood's latest album is fantastic sounding too! He has contributed on many well famous artists' albums, artists like Trisha Yearwood, LeAnn Rimes, Celine Dion, Faith Hill and Lonestar. This year he has mixed albums for Trisha Yearwood, LeAnn Rimes, Trace Adkins, Sawyer Brown among others.

Steve Marcantonio is another of my favorites, but right now Jeff Balding is the engineer that scores the highest.

• Members

For more roots-ier, organic sounding stuff: No question; Chuck Ainlay - more specifically, the astonishingly good job he's done on the last three Mark Knopfler CDs. Also, Alison Krauss & Union Station's engineer, but his name escapes me at the moment (stoopid Spencer).

For hard-edged stuff: 1) Randy Staub, that guy knows how to makes things sound aggressive and huge. I've bought CDs just because I've seen him listed in the credits. And he's originally a Canadian! :D 2) Andy Wallace, what I've heard from him lately has convinced me of this guy's abilities. For example, the difference between his mixes and that of TLA's on Sum 41's latest CD is night and day: TLA can't hold a candle to AW. Andy's have depth, impact and clarity whilst TLA's sound like compressed mash.

There's others - but the coffee hasn't hit my brain, yet.

Great thread!

Cheers!

Spencer

Brendan O'Brien - Matthew Sweet "100% Fun"

Tom Dowd - too many to list, but Layla is a good place to start... follow that up with some Aretha, and some Allman Brothers, and some... :D

Geoff Emerick - Can you say "Revolver?" How about Sgt Pepper? Or Abbey Road? How about Elvis Costello's "Imperial Bedroom"? ;)

Good topic! :cool:

• Members

Off the top of my head...

Terry Date - Deftones "Around the Fur," Handsome "S/T"

Brendan O'Brien - Incubus "A Crow Left of the Murder"

Ben Grosse (mixing) - Sevendust "Animosity", Vertical Horizon "Go"

Rick Parashar - Pearl Jam "Ten", Temple of the Dog "S/T"

Nigel Godrich - Radiohead "OK Computer," Beck "Sea Change"

Rich Costey - The Mars Volta "De-Loused...," Cave In "Antenna"

Dave Sardy - Far "Water and Solutions"

Ken Andrews - Year of the Rabbit "S/T," Failure "Fantastic Planet"

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

the drum and guitar sounds on "Watching The Detectives" in particular. Gives me chills.

Distortion is your friend.
;)

haha, no seriously that's one of the recordings that got me interested in this business. if someone could take a regular damn song and make it sound so sonically perfect (it's one of the few elvis songs where i wouldn't change something about the recording), that's a talent i needed to have.

funny little tidbit, more than once i've completely ripped off those drum/guitar tones without even realizing it. i'd just kind of hand the guitar player a telecaster and pull out my blackface twin that is permanently on 10, and put that delicious overdriven reverb on all of the drums, and not notice it until i realize that they're playing bad long island emo and not awesome white guy reggae.

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

I thought Terry Date did that one...

Nope, Rick Parashar

maybe I'm confusing him working with Temple AND Soundgarden when he really only worked with Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger). I don't know. I'm flirting with sobriety and drunken-ness right now, so don't mind me.
:p

I've heard rough mixes from "Superunknown" before it was "mixed for release"... no offense to Mr. O'brien, but they buried the final product... I mean ate it for breakfast and {censored} it out before lunch kind of buried.

Jason Corsaro did a really excellent job on that record... even if he and Mr. Beinhorn got along a little worse than oil and water.

• Members

Daniel Lanois and Malcolm Burn engineering "Wrecking Ball" by EmmyLou Harris. Led Zeppelin's stuff from the first album through "Physical Graffiti", early Stones stuff like "Exile", and whoever did "Glow" by The Innocence Mission. Early ZZ Top sounds gorgeous - dunno who engineered that stuff either, but the guitar tones are amazing.

• Members

This guy is my almost favorite engineer, who Mr. Crewe was trying to remember a few posts back. He uses only Mastering Lab mic pre's and for the love of mic, can anyone tell what they are and and how to get one? Are they $$$$$$$$?

Spencer Capier:)

• Members

there was a soul coughing record he did that opened my eyes, or ears rather. El oso, (i think thats the name, had a yellow cover). The reels for that record are (maybe 'were' now, who knows) at the studio i worked at. I remember talking someone into letting me put it up and listen to the individual tracks. holy jesus. i was an intern at the time and knew even less then i do now, but the drums....man. three pairs of mics, and they were labeled really weird, cant rmember what but it wasnt, room, or oh or something. the rest of it sounded great too, but the drums just blew me away. especially since using 1 or 2 pairs did not give you anything close the drum sound.

Archived