Work horse mic pre needed.

• Members

I'm looking to purchase a dual mic pre (1k-2k range) that can cover a lot of ground in a home studio. The main purpose will be for electric guitars and vocals. I'd be interested in all suggestions of pre's, including those that 'color' and those that are 'clear'.

Thanks,

J

• Members

There are a lot of great mic pres on the market, especially once you get into the $1k/channel range. I have a Great River MP2NV as my main pre. I can't say enough good things about it. It has sounded great on everything I have used it for (vocals, guitars, bass DI, and drums).

You might want to check into renting a couple of pres before you buy, or buy it from someone with a good return policy.

• Members

In the colored world, check into a used (they don't make them new anymore) TL Audio C-1, the older ones with the square (as opposed to round) meters are IMHO better.

I've got 2 (4 channels total) superb preamps, excellent compressors. I use them for kick drums, overheads, vocals, guitars, reeds, etc., with excellent results.

• Members

in the colored camp, im pretty sure the great river is one of (if not the) most favored pre's in these parts. it has a great sound, ive thoroughly enjoyed many a recording done thru gr pre's. another colored pre to look into are the a-designs pres. on the more cleaner side, you might want to check out the speck micpre which goes for about $800/channel. its still not real clean but definitely more so than gr. for ultra-clean, your best bet at 1-2k may be the grace 201. i guess it all depends when u make up ur mind whether u want clean or colored. btw, whgat mic are u using?

• Members

Thank you all for the suggestions! I will be doing my due diligence. Unfortunately, I live in an area where test-driving these things is virtually impossible. Currently, my main mic is a KSM-44. I also have the full gambit of various other cardioid and small & large diaphragm mics. I do plan on adding a to that as well.

Thanks,

J

For vocals and guitars (assuming rock / electric guitars is your main need, and not transparent acoustic guitar recordings), I'd suggest Great River NV series, Vintech Dual 72, or maybe a couple of API's in a lunchbox. It's UNDER your budget, but I've really been digging the FMR RNP / RNLA combo on both guitars and vocals. Good stuff, and big bang for the bucks. :)

• Members

For vocals and guitars (assuming rock / electric guitars is your main need, and not transparent acoustic guitar recordings), I'd suggest Great River NV series, Vintech Dual 72, or maybe a couple of API's in a lunchbox. It's UNDER your budget, but I've really been digging the FMR RNP / RNLA combo on both guitars and vocals. Good stuff, and big bang for the bucks.

if he went the FMR route he could take the money he saved and get a Beyerdynamic M160 and get guitar tracks that would have a lot of trouble sounding bad.

Thanks for the great ideas! FMR looks like the ticket for me.

And furthermore, the M160 looks like the mic I've been looking for.:)

Archived