got the brick!

pix

• Members

yo mamma!

this guy really sings. Notice that this is my very first pre amp/DI so this may sound like a guy praising a yugo because he used to ride a donkey but nevertheless I just rediscovered my guitar and bass. They sound huge and present on this thinjg like never before.

Big ups for groove tubes!

• Members

bass is a washurn XB100 (cheapo GC deal) and guitars are a MIM telecaster and blackout HH telecaster. It really makes the single coils sing and it's amazing with humbuckers solos. I really like how thick and present the sound is. Not harsh at all. Plain big.

this was just DI so far. I'll do some mic tests over the weekend.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

You got two of 'em Kylen? What have you tried them on?

Yes I just picked up another Brick at Guitar Center. I'm doing something a little different than you guys right now, not recording right now in terms of studio and bands. I'm transcribing and rebalancing (I'm not a pro so I don't want to mislead by using the term remastering which is used in the commercial world) my catalog of live and studio recordings and tape masters in the digital domain. So in my humble project studio I run the tape decks into these 2 GT Bricks for a little tube and transformer assistance. I'm trying now to judge what improvment in quality these make if any - they sound nice, I'll say that. I'm about to do a re-amp (per Steve Hoffman remastering engineer technique) thru them and push into them a little harder to see what natural eq and dynamics properties they have, if any. A little long-winded but that's what I'm up to right now! I've been bitten by the remastering bug!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I'm about to do a re-amp (per Steve Hoffman remastering engineer technique)

Link please?
:)

Hi Phil...my inspiration is from the Steve Hoffman interview I read in which he uses tube amps and transformers to affect EQ and dynamics in his remasters, if he wants a brighter EQ he changes tubes or goes solid state - that kind of thing:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=59070

Of course I'm certainly being optomistic and reading between the lines thinking a couple of GT Bricks would do the same but it's a start! :D

• Members

i have a brick. it's one of my favorite bass di's ever, particularly with my American Fender P-Bass and my (really cool and also well made) Japanese Marcus Miller signature J-Bass (can you say "ever tone ever"?). it also works well for dynamic mics on a beefy snare drum.

what's my favorite thing about the brick? the price.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

That's a really great article, Kylen. I hope you keep us posted on what your experiences are with the Bricks and re-mastering.

Thanks Ken - it sure is a fun and inspiring read. I like using the Brick as an interface between the decks and the DAW. I realize it's not fair to compare against Manley mono blocks or Ampex ATR100 tube decks (which I've never heard anyway!) but the Brick sounds pretty sweet to my ears and budget ($375 per channel). Of course getting a great sound in the front end like you do helps more when it's time to remaster!

Archived