Picked Up A Peavey HP Signature EXP Today..

OldFenderGuy

• Members

And it's a real player.....

Last week a friend was on his way to Kansas City to play a few gigs. He had a new Peavey HP Signature EXP with him, and I played it for an hour or so... One of the best playing and sounding guitars that I have used during the past 30 years. I offered to trade my Epi LP Custom (with Gibson 490/498 pickups) for the EXP, but he wouldn't go for it. :mad:

So I went and got one myself.... It's something else, can't give it enough praise.... 24.75" scale length, ebony fretboard (uncluttered except for one inlay between the 11/12 fret), mahogany body with 5/8" maple cap, set one piece mahogany neck, transparent black finish, and perfect fit and finish... :cool:

exp2.jpg

exp3.jpg

exp6.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

You GASsy bastard! Did you keep the Epi?

:D

Yeah, I still have the Epi, but a friend of mine is getting up the money to buy it....

Just don't feel like I need it after playing this EXP... It has the "classic LP tone" I've been looking for, and I really like the fit and feel of the guitar, especially the ebony fretboard with great access to the upper frets... Oh, BTW, weight is only 7.95 LBS.

• Members

Originally posted by Zippy_The_Chimp

I got one of those but I should have got the black finnish I got the tiger eye instead

Wish I had a better camera, as the black finish is much nicer than shown in the pictures..

It's not a 'solid black', but a transparent black, looks great. :D

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

:D

... It has the "classic LP tone" I've been looking for, and I really like the fit and feel of the guitar,

Sounds like OldFenderGuy oughta change his name to FormerFenderGuy, or ClassicLPtoneguy or at least MostlyFenderGuy. Pretty guitar by the way, and I think I may be mrgettingasguy.:p

• Members

Originally posted by fretmonster

Sounds like OldFenderGuy oughta change his name to FormerFenderGuy, or ClassicLPtoneguy or at least MostlyFenderGuy. Pretty guitar by the way, and I think I may be mrgettingasguy.
:p

i kinda have the same problem...

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

How many friggin guitars do you own now OFG???
:eek:

I'm at 7 right now and gonna sell 2 to get back to my self imposed limit of 5.

Well that's not a "fair question" as I have been collecting and playing them since the 1970's.... :cool:

But I would venture to say that I probably own between 65 to 70 guitars at the current time, with most of them being stored with a relative in a climate controlled location. Right here at the house I have around 10 at any given time.

• Members

Well that's not a "fair question" as I have been collecting and playing them since the 1970's....
:cool:

But I would venture to say that I probably own between 65 to 70 guitars at the current time, with most of them being stored with a relative in a climate controlled location. Right here at the house I have around 10 at any given time.

Good god man. :eek: Have u met my friend Bbreaker? :D

I can't imagine having that many guitars let alone that many in storage.

• Members

Originally posted by fretmonster

Sounds like OldFenderGuy oughta change his name to FormerFenderGuy, or ClassicLPtoneguy or at least MostlyFenderGuy. Pretty guitar by the way, and I think I may be mrgettingasguy.
:p

Hey Now.... :D

This is a very nice guitar though, great, great tone and a joy to play.... After an initial break in period I'll probably send it to Phil Jacoby and have it Plek'd, which should make it even better. Could easily turn it into a #1 player.

exp12.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

How does this model compare to the $300 goldtop one?

I think the $300 goldtop is the HP EX series, not the EXP.

From what I understand the EX is a very nice guitar and has received very good reviews, but it is a different animal than the EXP series.

Main differences include;

EX - Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 22 frets

EXP - Mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, full 24 frets

EX - Basswood body

EXP - Mahogany body with 5/8" maple cap

The EXP has higher quality hardware/pickups as well.

The EX is manufactured in China, while the EXP is more or less a handmade instrument manufacturer in Korea.

The EXP is an exact copy of the custom MIA model, and my friend has both models. He said about the only difference he can see if the $1,400 difference in price.

• Members

Well that's not a "fair question" as I have been collecting and playing them since the 1970's....
:cool:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

G.A.S. HERO !!!!

:D :D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarNoobie

G.A.S. HERO !!!!

It's a curse, yep.... :mad:

Right now I'm waiting for the Nelsonic Powerload that I purchased from a fellow Forum Member...

Hopefully that will calm down the GAS pains for a little while.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

I'm gonna have to check that guitar out now. I can't believe you're moving that Epi already though. Kinda like batotman and his Epi.

The EXP sounds better to me than the Epi Custom with it's Gibson 490/498 combination. Real warm and 'woody'. Plus I like the body shape more, weighs only 8 pounds, and the ebony fretboard is hard and fast playing. Honestly, it's one of the finest guitars I've ever played. :cool:

exp14.jpg

Archived