Does anyone remember Dr. T

Wow... Dr T's. There's a blast from the past! :D

I was never an Amiga user... I was an Atari nerd. I do not recall if there's a utility that lets you read Amiga floppies on a PC... you can write to / read standard PC floppies with some Ataris though. IMO, the "safe" way to go would be to convert the files on the Amiga to SMF's - if the program even supports that. Then go Googling for a solution for reading the disks...

Okay, I did that last step for you. Check out this site, and you'll see that PC's can't read Amiga disks directly. :(

Which means that you might just be better off doing a direct MIDI to MIDI hookup between the two computers and recording the MIDI info directly into your PC that way... play it back on the Amiga's sequencer and record that data into your PC sequencer. If all else fails, that should definitely work. :)

Originally posted by Jotown

Phil, do you remember it it was possible to save to standard midi files in Dr. T's? And would those disks be readable?

Thanks in advance.

I don't recall if Dr T's ever supported SMF's or not... but the disk incompatability issue is a seperate one... that's at the basic level, and Amiga disks and PC disks are just not compatible. However, do a Google search with "Amiga floppy disk read PC" and you'll come up with some suggestions... also, be sure to check the link I listed earlier for more info. :)

• Members

Dr. T's and Amiga. That goes waaay back. I started with Dr. T's on a Commodore 64.

I sold my Amiga long ago but still have my Dr. T's software and manual. It does support standard MIDI files (file type .MID - it says it can save format 0 and format 1 files).

Although the PC cannot read/write Amiga floppies, the Amiga can read/write certain PC floppies. I did this all the time to move files between PC and Amiga. The catch is that it has to be the older DSDD 720K floppies. The more common 1.44M floppies do not work in a standard Amiga drive. It also requires special software on the Amiga to recognize the MS-DOS file system. I remember using the MSH software mentioned in the link Phil supplied above.

So if you can find some of those old 720K floppies (1.44 might work if you can format them in 720K mode) this might be a possibility.

• Members

Wow, other Amiga users exist!

I used to do a lot of transfers back and forth between Amiga and PC. Often I only had 1.44 discs and had to format them as 720K.

It was a long time ago but recall the trick was to cover the proper hole in the floppy case. I believe the 720K used to have only one small hole that had the write protect tab. The 1.44M floppy has two holes, one without the write protect tab. I used to put tape over the hole WITHOUT the write protect tab. I could then format as a 720.

DRHDRH

• Members
Originally posted by DRHDRH

The 1.44M floppy has two holes, one without the write protect tab. I used to put tape over the hole WITHOUT the write protect tab. I could then format as a 720.DRHDRH

And do you format in the Amiga computer or the PC?

Archived