Unmatched AT4041 for drum overheads OK?

You can try the low tech approach to "self matching" if you're really majorly concerned. Stick the two mics as close together as possible and record something, with each mic getting printed to a seperate track. Pan the two tracks dead center, then flip the phase on one and see how much "disappears" - the more you're left with, the further apart the response of the two mics is.

I've done similar things with Oktava MC012's, which can vary a bit more, but with the AT4041's, it hardly seemed worth the hassle. They do have pretty tight quality control and similar frequency responses mic to mic.

• Members

The AT4041s are used in a lot of recording studios for drum overheads and acoustic guitars and other things. Small wonder, as they're very good for the money. I have AT4051s, with interchangeable capsules. These are quite a bit more than the AT4041s, but sound very nice on just about all applications that you would use a small diaphragm condenser on.

• Members

i haven't seen any reviews of these in the "user reviews" area, it would be nice if some of you would add some, also, in general , do you really need matched pairs at all? it seems with higher end mics that it shouldn't be a big issue... i for one would rather get one sdc, then buy another later.. for budget reasons

• Members

Originally posted by patshep

also, in general , do you really need matched pairs at all? it seems with higher end mics that it shouldn't be a big issue... i for one would rather get one sdc, then buy another later.. for budget reasons

As people have already mentioned, A-T has good quality control, so the answer would be no. This ain't very Golden Ears of me, but quite frankly, most people are just not gonna need that anyway.

For companies with not-so-good QC, the thing to do would be to audition them and get two that are alike.

I think that you could buy one AT4041 and buy another later and not have any problems with drum overheads, acoustic guitar, or just about anything else that you're gonna record.

Archived