help me find year of manuf. - electra omega?

fishfartz

• Members

i picked up an electra omega les paul copy today

it is actually a very nice guitar, right up there with some of the best LP copies ive seen and played over the years.

it has the vari-tone 5 way switch on the top, and near the normal volume knobs there is a volume and tone, as well as 2 seperate toggles. all in all with those controls you can get alot of out of phase tones and coil tapping, and it is very responsive. there is a tremendous difference when switching through the controls to tight bass-heavy, loose chunk and i am really digging the clean "jangly" sound in spot 1 on the vari-tone with the toggle down - it is the most jangly 60s sound ive heard other than a legit rick.

anyway - it is model # X210 - electra omega

serial # 18021

black LP copy with abalone blocks (looks like abalone) and abalone electra name on headstock with the peace sign done in same material.

ill try and post pics tomorrow if needed

im curious about the year of manufacture as well as any other info. the fretboard was filthy and the headstock has been cracked and repaired but i see no problems yet as far as the headstock goes.

im really digging it. thanks for any help. it has that classic LP tone, as well as many, many more that make it a very versatile guitar. switching through the varitone and toggles i went through quacky "bad moon risin" tones, tom petty jangle, to nice extrmely thick crunch

• Members

Originally posted by fretmonster

Sounds like a definite keeper fishfartz. Do you like it as well as the Aria SG? I love those old Matsus and you seem to know where to find em. (Truth is my wife won't let me have anymore so I'm holding firm at ten).
:D

you gotta put your foot down! JK, 10 is pretty fair

actually man, it sounds so much better than the aria. i really dig the aria and the only thing wrong with it is the frets are worn down very low, and the pups were not wired right - and i couldnt get them wired correctly. so only the bridge bucker is wired on the aria. i tried & tried but failed at getting the SG wired correctly (ive done it plenty in the past, just something not working out here) - but i do like it alot.

now the electra seems to be a much more solid guitar, and it has alot of great sounds. i think the electra is far ahead of it as far as quality and construction, im real happy with it. i noticed the volume knob is "iffy" - i have to wiggle it to get it working, i tried the ol' shot of contact cleaner in the pot but no go, but thats an easy fix (replace pot)

so yeah, im really digging it alot. it has so many sounds i think its going to be very handy when recording, its surprising just how different each spot on the varitone switch sounds, as well as the 2 toggle settings.

i think its definately a keeper:)

• Members

Originally posted by tim gueguen

Unless you've misread the first number your guitar is an '81. Most of the Matsumoku made guitars after 1976 used a dating system where the first or first two numbers of the serial number are the year it was made. So a guitar with a 1 as the first number should be an '81.

yes, i doublechecked and the serial # is 18021

i appreciate the feedback, ive been having trouble finding any info on these, and was very curious about this one

i found this page -

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/electra/x210.html

this is the exact same model guitar i found yesterday, except mine needing some good cleaning!

i think it was made from 76-82 (from what i gather) -

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

you gotta put your foot down! JK, 10 is pretty fair

actually man, it sounds so much better than the aria. i really dig the aria and the only thing wrong with it is the frets are worn down very low, and the pups were not wired right - and i couldnt get them wired correctly. so only the bridge bucker is wired on the aria. i tried & tried but failed at getting the SG wired correctly (ive done it plenty in the past, just something not working out here) - but i do like it alot.

now the electra seems to be a much more solid guitar, and it has alot of great sounds. i think the electra is far ahead of it as far as quality and construction, im real happy with it. i noticed the volume knob is "iffy" - i have to wiggle it to get it working, i tried the ol' shot of contact cleaner in the pot but no go, but thats an easy fix (replace pot)

so yeah, im really digging it alot. it has so many sounds i think its going to be very handy when recording, its surprising just how different each spot on the varitone switch sounds, as well as the 2 toggle settings.

i think its definately a keeper:)

Varitone switch huh, sounds like a Lucille. I used to watch those guitars alot on Ebay cause the user reviews were so good. Enjoy bro and kick us out some cool jams so we can hear her.

• Members

Varitone switch huh, sounds like a Lucille. I used to watch those guitars alot on Ebay cause the user reviews were so good. Enjoy bro and kick us out some cool jams so we can hear her.

thanks for the thoughts fretmonster

i really plan to do some recording soon, and im sure this will come into play heavily. it just blows my mind how many completely different tones are available on this due to the 5-way varitone and 2 toggle switches. the differences are nothing subtle - i literally can go from jangle/spanky tom petty cleans to bass-heavy thump cleans, to bright & snappy.

i think tonight i may record it playing through a piece of music and get my old lady to flip through the settings so i can show just how different the tonal settings are clean - as well as dirty.

its funny, i used to have strats all over the place and an LP and/or something with humbuckers for the bucker tones, but after getting the lite ash 2 years ago ive sold my strats, and between the aria SG and this i think im done collecting electrics for now. i need a bass for recording and miss having an acoustic around but as far as the electrics i think im actually good to go :)

maybe ill do some recording here in a bit with the electra

• Members

Cool, I just checked your link. That's a gorgeous guitar man. What condition, how much? That varitone function is very cool. Look forward to the jams. Later bro

thanks bro

i actually got it through a trade, i have always had extra amps laying around (mostly tube combos but other SS as well) and i traded a marshall MG15 "mini-stack" that i used to run my vocals/processor through at home in the bedroom when writing. i spread the "stack" out with a speaker on each side of the room and ran my mic through it, but i havent used it in over a year so i wasnt missing anything by getting rid of it

the condition i would describe as very good, other than a repaired crack in the headstock - but it was repaired pretty well and there are no tuning issues or anything like that because of it.

all in all id say very good condition except for that

i am starting to record some things and ill be sure and post them hopefully by tomorrow

take it easy there fretmonster and thanks for the words, its always exciting to pick up something new. i got my wife to flip through the settings on the varitone while i recorded, ill post that later today but in the meantime ill be recording something fun to use some of its different/usable settings as well

Archived