... 2 things I wish to discuss...

• Members

...first of all today is my Birthday...46! My day job gave me a hearing test which revealed my hearing was "a good normal". An EXCELLENT report given the 200+ rock concerts and the many years of ear abuse (guns, lawn/power tools, riding in the car with top down/window open, loud music...etc)! Given this, I was TOO happy with the results! So...my message and advice to others...PLEASE protect those precious ears!!! OK, next...3rd quarter bonus at day-job-work will be enough for any Soundelux mic, but not enough for a Brauner VMA. I am asking for input on the best Soundelux mic for male AND female vocals. Other mics will be purchased in the future, but I need something that will cover "most" bases in the meantime. Any input will be appreciated. Thanx and peace to all . . . Dogbreath

Hey Dogbreath - happy birthday buddy! :cool: Today's my wife's birthday... but I'm smart enough to know better than to tell everyone how old she is. ;)

Congrats on the good hearing test results. Good reminder about the importance of taking care of your hearing too. :cool:

As far as Soundelux mics, let's take it from the top with a couple of questions of my own for you: What sort of budget do you have and what styles of music do you normally work with? And what sort of "male and female vocalists" are we talking about here? Or does the mic need to work with as wide a range of male and female vocalists as possible?

• Members

Hey Phil, thanks for the well wishes and prompt reply. As for the budget, the bonus at work may approach $4,000 for this 3rd quarter. That said, I work with a broad spectrum of people...rockers to contemporary gospel...with weak and strong vocals, male and female. What I need is a Soundelux mic that will handle the broadest spectrum of singers. Phil, I think you have the 250 and 251...which one of these would cover the highest percentage of vocalists? Or woud the Soundelux E47 be my best 1st high performance mic? I mean, sure, no mic will do it all. I need one to cover the most ground for a first "big time" mic. As of right now, my mic closet includes: Shure KSM44(2), Shure KSM32(4), Shure SM 81(2), 57's(2), Beta 57's(2), Neumann TL103(2), EV RE20(2), Sennheiser 421(4) among others. Thanks~~~ Dogbreath

Originally posted by seaneldon

ELUX250 and a smokin' preamp/channel strip.

The ELUX name doesn't apply to the 250... it's called the "E250"... but I do agree that it would be an excellent choice, and the extra money should be put into a high-quality preamp, if one is not already in the inventory.

• Members

Consider auditioning the Lawson L251. I have never compared it to the Soundelux version (Phil?), but I am really happy with the Lawson. It's $2400, considerably under your budget, so you can blow the rest on a nice mic preamp, another mic, or beer. Or better yet, it's only three shopping months until my birthday! :D

Happy birthday, btw.

• Members

Yeah, Ken...when? ;) OK...so I'll do the Soundelux 250 thing although I will have to do so on a "word of mouth" basis. It's really what I wanted to hear anyway!!! There's no "try before you buy" places nearby. Who has the cheapest $$$ one. Also, the pro pre-amp suggestion makes me ask about the Neve Portico 5012. Few "pro's" have put any input in on one of these. I can get 2 channels of this plus the Soundelux 250. I DO want GML and a DW Fearn in days to come. Just to let you guys know where I stand, I am building the mic collection now (see earlier post). I have tons of stands and cables. I figured I would get the nickel and dime stuff first...technology that wouldn't be changing every week. No DAWor software yet. More ???'s later. Thanks again for the most happy B-day wishes and Peace to all . . . Dogbreath

Archived