Best way to strip neck?

JcKerr

• Members

Hey, I have a tokai MIK love rock that I'm thinking about stripping the back of the neck on... I did it to my old LP copy and loved the way it felt. It has a maple neck so i think it's a pretty good candidate. last time i just took sand paper to the neck and it ended up okay...

would someone walk me throught the "proper" procedure. i'd like to make it look somewhat professional... maybe a nice line at the top of the neck like on ZW's guitar, but i'm not sure quite how to do it. also should i finish with anything after i strip...

or should I just leave it alone?

• Members

Yeah, as JcKerr said you'll have to sand off the poly finish that is on the neck and then apply tung oil to seal the wood. I tung oiled my bass neck and it feels great :) The only downside is, depending on how often you play, every 3-6 months you'll have to sand it down with steel wool and reapply. It starts to get dirty since it is absorbant, whereas poly isn't.

• Members
Originally posted by Samicklover

The only downside is, depending on how often you play, every 3-6 months you'll have to sand it down with steel wool and reapply. It starts to get dirty since it is absorbant, whereas poly isn't.

I've never had that problem myself. I use pure tung oil. Just be careful. It's very flammable.

• Members

I would just sand it down. Then I would use Birchwood- Casey Tru-oil then follow up with Birchwood-Casey gunstock wax. You can find the true oil at any wallmart the wax is trickier and if you cant find any let me know I ordered six bottles off of ebay so I can sell a bottle if you need it. The true oil is great but the wax makes it 10 times better.

Archived