Rode NT5 vs AT4041 for drums overheads

• Members

I'm looking for a pair of mics to use for drum overhead micing. I narrowed the list down to:

- Rode NT5

- AT4041

(based on budget and opinions about these mics)

(If you think I should consider adding other mics to the list, please tell!)

The Rode's are a bit cheaper. Do they sound cheaper too? Is the AT4041 worth the extra bucks?

I'm recording rock/metal. Thought you'd like to know that!

I've never spent any quality time with the NT5's, so I can't comment there. Rumor has it that they tend to be pretty bright, but that's second hand info, so don't put too much stock in it. The AT4041's are, by far, some of the best sm dia condensers on the market IMO - especially considering their price point. They're very good mics, and I don't think they'll disappoint you. And they work very well as drum overhead mics. :)

• Members

Phil, Where, thanx again!

The Oktava MK-012 (Are these the same as the MC-012's?) look nice too, and I read nice reviews about them. Plus they're pretty cheap! Would any of you choose those over the 4041's?

I think I'll check them both out anyways!

I've got a few MC-012's and a pair of AT 4041's. Both are good mics, and I like having the option to use either as the situation demands. The quality control of the MC-012's (yes, they are the same mic as the MK-012's) that were available at Guitar Center wasn't up to the A/T standards, and it was easier to get a weak mic or downright lemon with some of those. Plus, there has been some question over the later versions of the Oktavas - some of them were apparently being made in China instead of Russia. There are some telltale differences between the Russian and Chineese built models, and we can explain some of them to you if you want. Guitar Center, last I heard, was blowing out the last of their Oktava mic stock and wasn't going to be carrying them anymore, or at least so I was told by the guys at one of the local stores. The genuine Russian built mics are still available though, and the company that sells them hand inspects and selects them, meaning their quality level is generally better than the mics that are only inspected at the Russian factory in Tula. You can get to their website by clicking right here.

In general, the Oktavas are a little bit darker sounding than the 4041's, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your source and the sound you're after. But both mics are very good sounding, and among the best budget friendly small diaphram condensers on the market IMO.

• Members

Here's a nice comparison test between the MK-012's, AKG C1000's and EV 635a's. The last two are no match for the Oktava's, that's for sure!

First third are the Oktava's, second C1000 and third the 635a's.

http://www.debris.com/media/mics/oh_test1.mp3

Same goes for:

http://www.debris.com/media/mics/oh_test2.mp3

The Oktava's win hands down in terms of presence and range! Wow!

Too bad there isn't an MK-012 vs AT4041 online... At least, I didn't find it.

The review: http://www.debris.com/journal/1347

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Well, I've got a few of each, so I could probably eventually do a recording on the same source with each type of mic... but due to my incredibly busy schedule at the moment, it isn't going to be any time soon.
:(
Sorry about that.
:(

Oh that would have been great! Too bad I need the mics two weeks from now :eek:.

I'm checking the sound-room-site now. I'm in The Netherlands, I hope they do overseas shipping (fast and cheap! :D).

• Members

Personally I'd go for the 4041's over the Oktavia's, but that's not diss'n the Oktavias, they are amazing. However I think the 4041's are more accurate, and if you need gain (ie the source is low level) the 4041 has some serious output, best I've seen on any SDC.

• Members

I dont have any AT mics, except for the 4033. I would like to hear the SDC ones, I dont think I have even seen any AT SDC's...

I have used the MK 012 Newer Russian made pair I own on many acoustic tracks, and I have to say they are close to stellar! I am comparing them to the Rode NT-4 Stereo mic, and the AKG C1000s.... however, I recently pulled the foam out of the capsule (That I didnt know was there) in my AKG's, and the clarity and output was very noticeable. You might try this if you have them, or you might already know this. The 012's have almost 2wice the output as the AKG's, and are actually warmer sounding, but not in a muffled way at all. Ken at Oktava USA brags about comparing them to the Schoeps SDC models, but I dunno. All I know is they sound dang good, and way better than the Rode nt4, which isnt a cheap mic. The C1000 with no foam has more high end clarity than the Oktavas, but you have to make your poor guitar swallow the mic, distance wise, to get enuff gain.

• Members

I have a matched pair of the Oktavas that I purchased from Recording Services (this is the official Oktava USA distributer). They sound good, but one of them is VERY succeptable to LF rumble (30-50Hz) or even the slightest stand/handling noise. BANG, BANG, BOOM! I think they're good mics though, but they are not a perfect match, in fact none of the matched pairs are going to be perfect on them. They are matched for output level, and matched at key frequencies, but are not like other brands of mics that are within 1dB of each other for the whole spectrum.

Also, here's a link to a listening test that I did comparing the MC-012's to the AT4041's on stereo acoustic guitar, and should give you an idea on the difference in character between the two mics.

AT4041

MC-012

• Members

Originally posted by Matt Hepworth

Also, here's a link to a listening test that I did comparing the MC-012's to the AT4041's on stereo acoustic guitar, and should give you an idea on the difference in character between the two mics.

Wow, thank you Matt! This is very helpfull.

The Oktava's are darker sounding, and although they're dark in a nice way I like the AT's bottom end better. it sounds tighter! And the top end... Wow... Very nice. Yeah, I think The AT's are definately the mics I'm after.

i'm just curious: Which technique did you use to mic the guitar?

• Members

I can't remember. Seems like left one just off the soundhole and perpendicular to the front of the guitar, with the other about halfway up the neck. I think they were around 4-6" from the guitar and 12-18" from each other.

I think those samples I posted were recorded through the super cheap, but pretty good M-Audio DMP3 preamp.

• Members

Originally posted by Matt Hepworth

I can't remember. Seems like left one just off the soundhole and perpendicular to the front of the guitar, with the other about halfway up the neck. I think they were around 4-6" from the guitar and 12-18" from each other.

I think those samples I posted were recorded through the super cheap, but pretty good M-Audio DMP3 preamp.

That's ok. At least I can hear the differences very well.

Archived