1990 Mexican Strat

glennhl

• Members

I picked up a 1990 Mexican Strat from SuperPawn today in Phoenix. Very pretty blue body with a maple neck. Serial Number MN00XXXX. I assume this is a very early Mexican Strat. It has a very unusual feature, the truss rod hole in the headstock is filled in with a darker wood plug. If I need to adjust the truss rod, I'll have to either take off the pickguard or loosen the neck.

Anyway, I'm curious, is this a very rare or desirable guitar? How many of the Mexican Strats were made with the heel truss rod adjustment? I saw a 1991 on Ebay that had the headstock adjustment.

It plays fine, I may lower the action some. It has a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail Humbucker in the bridge position, it sounds great! Any information or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Members

The Mexican factory began producing guitars in 1987; early MIMs such as that are not generally highly desirable as "collectible." I'm of the opinion that the newer MIMs are better than the older ones, it took Fender a while to get that factory up to speed.

Bottom line though, if you like it and it feels and plays great it's a keeper.

:cool:

~Blackbelt

• Members

You'd be surprise at how many of the MIM parts are NOT made in mexico. From pickgaurds to electronics. The bodies are made in mexico, they are pretty much just assembled there.

There is a factory tour floating around in these forums somewhere that tells you exactly what is made where, i think it was the tour that told you.

Anyhow, hows it play? what did you spend on it>?

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

You'd be surprise at how many of the MIM parts are NOT made in mexico. From pickgaurds to electronics. The bodies are made in mexico, they are pretty much just assembled there.

There is a factory tour floating around in these forums somewhere that tells you exactly what is made where, i think it was the tour that told you.

Anyhow, hows it play? what did you spend on it>?

It plays very nice, and I love the sound of the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup. I paid $150 for it.

Thanks,

Glenn

Archived