Keeping AW2816 or buying AW1600 ?

• Members

I have a Yamaha AW2816. I've pretty much used it for recording myself playing "piano" - Yamaha P90. Now I'd like to get into recording some percussion along with the P90. I'd like to be able to use several mics at once.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a relatively inexpensive 8 channel multi preamp like a Behringer ADA8000 or an Octane OR selling my AW2816 and buying an AW16oo. The AW1600 (of course) has 8 preamps. It's missing the motorized faders. I'm not currently sophistocated enough to use the flying fader feature. I'm a music "player". I don't use midi and don't plan to.

I'm wondering if I should sell my 2816 and buy a 1600. Or should I buy a multi-channel preamp.

Any informed opinions ? Thanks for any information,

David

• Members

Doesn't the 2816 have preamps? I have the AW16G which is the predecessor to the 1600 and while the 16G is a great machine, one of the chief complaints at the users' forum is the less than wonderful pre's. I don't know if Yamaha upgraded the pre's for the 1600 but that would be the first thing I'd check out.

Dave, you have 8 channels of mic preamps on the AW2816... but only two of them have XLR connectors and phantom power. If you plan on using two condenser mics (they require phantom power), along with up to six dynamic mics (those generally don't require phantom power), the AW2816 can probably meet your needs "as is". All you need are some XLR to 1/4" TRS adapters for those six remaining mic preamps. You can make your own (that's what I did when I had a pair of AW4416's) or you can purchase them pre-made.

f you want better quality mic preamps, you MAY find those on the AW1600... but I can't say for certain, because I have not tried that unit out yet. The biggest problem with the AW4416 / AW2816 mic preamps is their relatively low maximum gain (about 45 dB), and their noise at higher gain settings. That's usually not a major problem with close mic'ed percussion using dynamic mics.

• Members

Dave,

I have an AW2816 and it can record 16 tracks at 24 bits. The new 1600 can only do 8 tracks at 24 bit. Like Phil said, the pres don't have a lot of gain. I purchased an FMR RNP and the problem was solved. The only problem that the 1600 can solve for you is the ability to record 8 tracks at a time with condenser mics that need 48V phantom power. And that issue can be solved with preamps.

I rarely record more than 4 tracks at once, so for me, the RNP and the two in the 2816 are fine. I plan to try other pres as time goes on and just add them to my arsenal. Eventually I will be able to record 8 tracks at a time at 24 bit.:D

Good luck.

Rick

The only problem that the 1600 can solve for you is the ability to record 8 tracks at a time with condenser mics that need 48V phantom power. And that issue can be solved with preamps.

While external preamps will give you more gain as well as other tonal options, you can also overcome the lack of phantom power on inputs 3-8 with outboard phantom power supplies. Rolls used to (and may still) make a 1 RU, 6 channel phantom power supply with XLR inputs and 1/4" TRS outputs - perfect for providing phantom power for your AW. IIRC, it was under $150.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I'll get an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable and try that. Also, I realize now that I can use condenser mics with the 2 onboard preamps. I might add an outboard preamp or the outboard phantom power for my dynamic mic. This gives the AW2816 a longer lifespan of usefulness for me. I'll wait until something more substantial come along before I upgrade AW's.

David Goethe

Archived