Mr_GoodBomb

Parker Fly Deluxe VS Gibson Les Paul Classic

I've got a Parker that my friend put all out of wack, tremolo-wise. He's said he'd take it to a shop for... oh, a year now.

I'm considering just selling it since I've basicly forgotten how nice it is. It was always my dream guitar, right next to the more practical LP Classic.

Which would you go for? Or if not, something else in the price range or a bit cheaper, for your "look, I have one of these," high end 'main' guitars (though, my Rick is my real main).

I'd get the Parker fixed. Sooner or later, your back is going to hurt, and you'll scarcely be able to lift a boat anchor like an LP without pain, but the featherweight Parker will still be a pleasure to play.

• Like 2

I have a Parker Fly Classic and I'm not impressed by its tone. Except I am impressed by its piezo or piezo/magnetic pup blend modes. I'm impressed by the design and technology of the guitar AND its playablity, but not its tone.

I saw a Fly Classic for sale somewhere on line recently for about $1700. Not sure where the deluxe would fit it.

But I wouldn't trade mine off for a LP Classic. An LP Standard or Custom maybe, but not one with the 49?/500T ceramic pup combination.

I'll choose a bowl of grape nuts if I want that much crunch.

Meh, to me Parkers always looked like weapons to use in turning back a Klingon invasion.

I'd go the LP Classic. In fact I'm working on a deal to buy a honeyburst locally for $750.

BK

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Meh, to me Parkers always looked like weapons to use in turning back a Klingon invasion.

I'd go the LP Classic. In fact I'm working on a deal to buy a honeyburst locally for $750.

BK

Have you got any guitars sold to reach the budget yet?

BK

For someone who doesn't want to gloat, I've sure seen you mention this pending transaction in enough threads. :p

(I'd be doing the same thing) ;)

Originally posted by HypnoToad

Have you got any guitars sold to reach the budget yet?

No, my main buyer for my LP Special wanted to check out what they are going for, so I sent him a half-dozen links where they are selling/have sold for my price ($500) or considerably more, so hopefully he will very soon shit or get off the pot. But I have at least 2 or 3 other people who would buy the LP Special off me, though in the other cases I would have to pack it and ship it, which I'd rather avoid. Face to face transactions are much better.

Once I get the 5 bills in hand I can temporarily cover the remainder until I sell a second one. I think I'll sell my Epi Flying V w/OHSC for 3 bills, but first I have an Allparts switch to install in it.

BK

Originally posted by Prages

For someone who doesn't want to gloat, I've sure seen you mention this pending transaction in enough threads.
:p

(I'd be doing the same thing)
;)

Haha, I haven't bought an axe in 10 months and have never owend a silver-logo'd Gibby before so it's fair to say I'm fixated on it. But it's more newbie enthusiasm than gloating, or at least I hope it is.

;)

BK

BK, I know you don't like the looks of the Parker, but have you played one?

Parker, hands down. Lighter weight, way better playability, way better sounding (the poezo/magnetic mix sounds great). Beter hardward (trem, locking tuners, stainless steel frets). The only upside for the Gibson is that it's easier to swap pickups.

• Like 1

Meh, to me Parkers always looked like weapons to use in turning back a Klingon invasion.BK

Are you trying to tell me you buy guitars based on their looks? You can't fool me, I've seen your guitars.:D

Seriously, I have a Fly Classic, and I sort of know what you mean, but I still love it. It doesn't do any particular tone in spectacular fashion, but it does several things very well. I can play for 2 hours and not have a sore back for a week and, best of all, it makes me sound better than I really am.

Guitars are like any other tool. Some can do several things quite well, but sometimes you need a special tool for the job. I also have two Strats, a Setneck Tele and an archtop Gretsch, but I'm convinced I still need a LP, a vintage-style Tele, a Rick, a mahogany/P90 something and a Gretsch Jet to round out my collection of "specialized" tools.

Good luck on your LP acquisition.

D

Originally posted by bdegrande

BK, I know you don't like the looks of the Parker, but have you played one?

Parker, hands down. Lighter weight, way better playability, way better sounding (the poezo/magnetic mix sounds great). Beter hardward (trem, locking tuners, stainless steel frets). The only upside for the Gibson is that it's easier to swap pickups.

Well, to me the first hurdle is always aesthetics.

There used to be this car sales place's local TV commercial where some old redneck woman would come on and the first thing she would do was scold the camera and say "Don't you by no ugly truck!"

I'm kinda that way with guitars. Unless I like the way it looks, how it sounds is never even gonna be a consideration for me.

I dunno, maybe I'm shallow, but life's too short for ugly guitars.

;)

No offense to any Parker owners intended. To each his/her own.

BK

I must take issue with Parker fly's being ugly. I think they are beautiful, an absolute work of art and the playability is amazing. I play nothing else!

• Thanks 1

I'd go with the Fly. Always more Gibsons available (duh).

It is a plus if a guitar is attractive, but not decisive factor in my thin book.

guitars are for making music (bit radical, I know). Buying for looks brings to mind some promo line Coke has running on hoardings at English football matches: "Feel the taste"....? "Hear the Picasso"? "Just smell that Cadd9!"

11 hours ago, Parker forever said:

I must take issue with Parker fly's being ugly. I think they are beautiful, an absolute work of art and the playability is amazing. I play nothing else!

You like 'em old?

On 10/6/2005 at 10:55 AM, darkmonohue said:

I'd get the Parker fixed. Sooner or later, your back is going to hurt, and you'll scarcely be able to lift a boat anchor like an LP without pain, but the featherweight Parker will still be a pleasure to play.

About 5-6 years ago I was having serious back issues. As it got worse and worse I kept going from guitar to guitar. The ONLY reason I was able to keep playing was because I got a '97 Parker Fly Deluxe, weighing in at 4.5 pounds! The super thin neck gave me problems, but the guitar was great, sounded great, and the trem was up there with the best in the business. Eventually my back got a bit better, now I can pl;ay my SG again...that's about my weight limit if I want to stand...and I do. BUT I will never forget that My Parker absolutely saved me, I owe that company a debt and will never knock them!