another tele thread - MIK "heavy ash" telecaster

telebastard

• Members

Originally posted by d_dave_c

The wood is light. That thick finish is heavy, and kills the natural resonance of the wood.

I like the lite ash line, but as with a lot of Korean and Chinese guitars, the have a very thick clearcoat on them.

It's not just the finish that makes them heavy. Even the thickest of finishes couldn't possibly weigh more than a few ounces when it's dry.

• Members

Originally posted by telebastard

bought MIK lite ash tele a few days ago.

this son of the bitch weights exactly 4 kilos (nine pounds). this is a far heaviest guitar among my teles or tele-style guitars!

what is the fender's point?

PICS :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by HypnoToad

True. My Parker is swamp ash and is light as a feather.

Do you have the P-36? If so, does it really sound like a traditional Tele? My Number One is a Parker Fly Classic and I've been looking to add a vintage style Tele, but the P-36 would be a cool option if it sounds right.

D

• Members

I thought ash actually wasn't that light of a wood.

Could be wrong, but when I was buying my Legacy I had a choice between Swamp Ash and Alder...I was told by my salesperson (who seemed very knowlegable) that Swamp Ash is just as heavy as alder, if not heavier. So I was under the assumption that ash was a wood of moderate weight...

Anyone who knows care to comment?

• Members

Northern ash is normally dense and fairly heavy.

Swamp ash is normally a little lighter than alder, though some alder is lighter than swamp ash.

If you look at the Warmoth showcase section and filter it by body wood, you'll see that Swamp ash bodies seem to weigh 3.5 lbs to almost 5 lbs with the majority in the upper 3s to lower 4s. For alder, there are a few that are in the middle 3s, but most seem to be a little over 4 pounds. There's not a huge difference in weight, but on the average, I'd say swamp ash is a bit lighter.

• Members

Originally posted by flyguitar

Mine is heavy as hell, and tone sucks pretty much.

i must admit that i'm very dissapointed with those seymour's, too.

i'll try to find some vintage ones, this bridge pickup sounds like a chainsaw cutting the stone. neck pickup is just dumb. but, this guitar looks amazing, like some hot blonde.

so, it seems we bought some Fender Dumb Blonde Limited Edition Telecaster :D

• Members

i love it for the strat (lite ash)

mines not any heavier than any other strat ive got/had and ive got a bad back, i would have noticed right away

as far as the pups the SD alnico pro IIs will never get replaced in mine. in all fairness though the tele sounds nothing like the strat

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

i love it for the strat (lite ash)

mines not any heavier than any other strat ive got/had and ive got a bad back, i would have noticed right away

as far as the pups the SD alnico pro IIs will never get replaced in mine. in all fairness though the tele sounds nothing like the strat

I believe you - but you're talking abuot the Strat. My SRV strat is a thrue love of mine, but we're talking about the Tele. Those PU-s sucks.

Besides, you mentioned that your Strat isn't heavier than the others. Is it lighter? It supossed to be.

• Members

I hear people talk about the 'light weight' of their Stratocasters, but on average I think they might be heavier than some realize.

A while back I was curious and weighed over 30 stratocasters with a very accutate digital scale. Most of the 'strats were American Standards, with some American Series and Peavey USA Predators thrown in as well. Some had Ash bodies, but the majority were Alder.

Some were lighter than others, some heavier, but the average weight was right at 8.0 pounds.

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

I hear people talk about the 'light weight' of their Stratocasters, but on average I think they might be heavier than some realize.

A while back I was curious and weighed over 30 stratocasters with a very accutate digital scale. Most of the 'strats were American Standards, with some American Series and Peavey USA Predators thrown in as well. Some had Ash bodies, but the majority were Alder.

Some were lighter than others, some heavier, but the
average weight
was right at 8.0 pounds.

Yes, but my (also very accurate) scale shows exactly 8.94 pounds (tele). That's a big difference. Or teles are supossed to be heavier than strats?

• Members

I believe you - but you're talking abuot the Strat. My SRV strat is a thrue love of mine, but we're talking about the Tele. Those PU-s sucks.

Besides, you mentioned that your Strat isn't heavier than the others. Is it lighter? It supossed to be.

did ya get it?

i thought he was speaking of the weight of the lite ash tele - i mentioned that the lite ash strat of mine is not that heavy, and obviously with a name like that it shouldnt be. as far as the pups the strat has all 3 of the SD alnico pro II staggered single coils and i just pointed out how much i love them. of the many strats ive owned i tried alot of different pups - from noiseless to lace to texas specials and it was like a bell rang loudly when i first got hold of mine - its what ive always wanted in sound and response

i think it has alot more in common with the original post than you think (even though they obviously are 2 different guitars - as are any 2 other guitars from different chunks of wood, even though they may be of the same model). really i was just pointing out that they are not all heavy, as wood has different density that contributes to different weights.

• Members

Yes, but my (also very accurate) scale shows exactly 8.94 pounds (tele). That's a big difference. Or teles are supossed to be heavier than strats?

Well think about it: Compared to a tele, a strat has: (1)double cut instead of single, (2) tummy cut, (3) forearm contour, (4) tremelo cavity, (4) rounded edges.

Each of these factors result in wood, and therefore weight, being removed, making the strat (typically) a lighter guitar than a tele.

• Members

I tried two lite ash teles today. Very light. Some of the lightest guitars I have played.

BTW, Toronto/GTA folks , there is a black lite ash tele for 550 CDN (+ tax of course) at L&M Mississauga location (Rathburn road). Get there and get it now!!!!

Archived