3 Way VGA Data Transfer Splitter

• Members

I need to route my PC to 3 Monitors:

- Control Room

- Vocal Booth

- Mixing Room

I'm looking at 3 Way VGA Data Transfer Splitters and wondering if any of you have had experience with these things and could make some recommendations as Brands go.

Thanks,

Ian:cool:

• Members

I don't know about PC's but Macs have what's called remote desktop, which allows a networked mac to control other networked macs, including seeing the desktop views of the mac being controlled. A laptop and some network cabling or wi-fi makes what you want to do very simple, if windows has a similiar feature.

• Members

make it easy-

Almost any VGA distribution amp is decent these days. i like

www.networktechinc.com

as for the USB....There s a product called the "Superbooster". Just get a USB hub, plug the superbooster in, run an ethernet line to your loication, plug the other side if the boster, plug your keyboard in, Viola!!!!

google "USB Superbooster"

-Todd A.

Ian, I use a dual head video card and a single 1X2 splitter. IIRC, it cost me about $50 - $75. Works great. I got it at a local shop over in Corona (Alpha Computer IIRC). With a dual head card on Windows XP, you have the option of 'extending" your desktop area, or duplicating it on both monitor outputs of the card. I use an extended desktop, but it's easy to switch it. Add in the splitter, and you can have three monitors, each displaying the exact same thing.

Dual head video cards work on Macs too IIRC.

I think dual head video cards start at about $50 or so... I like the ATI Radeon cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got one of these:

Manual 3 Way 3-to-1 Switchbox for VGA Video, HDDB15

to replace one of these:

Manual 2 Way 2-to-1 Switchbox for VGA Video, HDDB15

The 2 way worked fine. Now the 3 way is giving me ghosting. I just noticed in the blurb that ghosting can be a problem.

Here are my specs:

1280 X 1024 Pixels

Highest (32 bit)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I don't know about PC's but Macs have what's called remote desktop, which allows a networked mac to control other networked macs, including seeing the desktop views of the mac being controlled. A laptop and some network cabling or wi-fi makes what you want to do very simple, if windows has a similiar feature.

Yes there is a free application called VNC which will allow you to do this. Windows XP Pro can also do this.

• Members

Originally posted by IGWright

I got one of these:

to replace one of these:

The 2 way worked fine. Now the 3 way is giving me ghosting. I just noticed in the blurb that ghosting can be a problem.

Here are my specs:

1280 X 1024 Pixels

Highest (32 bit)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian-

Ghosting is caused by sync problems- The video signal is made up of 5 Signals- Red, Green blue, Vertical sync, and Horizontal sync. If these signals are not in sync, then that ghosting will occur. Most likely, the culprit is your cabling to your monitors. You cannot use the ordinary "cheap" monitor cables- they are wired straight through, which offers no shielding to the 5 signals. You need a high-quality monitor extention. They have shielded lines which vastly improve signal quality.

try this:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=VGA%2DMM%2D06&cat=CABLESCONN&subcat=VIDEOCAB&prodClass=VGACAB&mfg=&search=0&off=

It;s possible that your switch is bad as well. Your links aren't valid so post back with some valid links and I'll take a look at this product....

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by IGWright

Long term, I am looking at dumping my business apps into a Laptop and setting up a WiFi Network, but for now I just wanted to go with my desktop and seperate monitors to keep things cheap.

Also, I've already bought the monitor and switch boxes.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

Ian-

Ghosting is caused by sync problems- The video signal is made up of 5 Signals- Red, Green blue, Vertical sync, and Horizontal sync. If these signals are not in sync, then that ghosting will occur. Most likely, the culprit is your cabling to your monitors. You cannot use the ordinary "cheap" monitor cables- they are wired straight through, which offers no shielding to the 5 signals. You need a high-quality monitor extention. They have shielded lines which vastly improve signal quality.

try this:

It;s possible that your switch is bad as well. Your links aren't valid so post back with some valid links and I'll take a look at this product....

-Todd A.

Is it possible that the cheap cables with the old switch box worked because the old switch box was more robust than the new switch box, and that the cheap cables with the new switch box (not as robust) tipped that balance and produced the ghosting? That's the most likely explanation for me. What do you think.

I think the server must be down for Sunday for those links 'cause when I do a Google I get the same links and they come up bad as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I'm running two LCD monitors off the same PC with just a splitter cable. I don't see why you couldn't run three.

I'm certainly new to all this, but as I understand it, there's a danger of signal degredation and therefore ghosting.

• Members

At this point, I think the next question is: how long can VGA cables be run?

Cheap VGA: I think I've already exceeded this length.

Good VGA: I don't want to go this route unless it is guaranteed to get rid of the ghosting.

CAT5: At what point to I turn to this approach with the breakout box?

Anyone?

• Members

IG-

I have personally run VGA Over 200' using a hgh quality cable. alternatively, you can get a breakout cable which will break the signal into it's 5 basic components R-G-B-H-V. Then you can use 5 BNC cables and teh adapt it back to HD15 VGA on the other end. There is no reason to go to Cat-5 unless you're really extreme...

-Todd A.

• Members

Archived