11s on Floyd Rose??

Leoart

• Members

I want to try power slinkys on my Charvel with floyd rose bridge, and I was wondering will the bridge be able to hold the strings with such heavy gauge 11-48? I used 10-46 but after going down 1/2 step they got floppy so dicided to go with something heavier but not sure if the bridge will hold it.

• Members

Its weird that you posted this tonight. I've had 11s with a wound 3rd on my RG550 for a few months now, and they never felt quite right ( they kick ASS on my Agile 2500, though ;))

Today I went out and got me a pack of 10-46 and slapped 'em in my RG - and DAMN. This guitar just feels right now.

With the 11s, I had higher action, even though my bridge was level ... and I was breaking strings at a higher rate for some reason.

I'm keeping the 11s on the fake-paul, but its back to 10s full time on the Ibanez :D

• Members

THe action was high because the tension is higher putting more stress on the neck and the rest of the guitar. I dont see a need for the heavy guage? some one clue me in...

If your using 10s and tune to e-flat they should feel the same as the 10s at A440 (standard tuning) you shouldnt have to change much because the tension at A440 with 10s should feel the same as 11s tuned to E-flat, if that makes sence.

You should try 009s at A440, standard tuning.

• Members

Hi Leoart. I have been using 11's for a couple of years on Floyd equipped guitars and have had no problems at all . I started using them on a Ibanez s540 with the Edge trem, moved onto a Brian Moore with an OFR and am back to an Ibanez RG570 with the original Edge trem. As air guitar mentioned, you will probably have to adjust the claw by screwing it into the body by 1/4 turn increments and MAYBE add one or two springs. My s540 took 1 extra spring and my current 570 has the max. 5 springs. Strangely

my Moore only had 2 springs with the 11's !.

If you plan on tuning down 1/2 step, that should further alleviate any concerns you might have.

Thanx,

Jim

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

I dont see a need for the heavy guage? some one clue me in...

For me I was just trying something new. I like the idea of a wound 3rd.

I been using them for a good while now just to get through them ... I bought like 10 packs from musician's friend when buying some other stuff just 'cuz they were so much cheaper than the local stores around here.

Archived