ADK mics?

• Members

a local new york guy is a dealer for these mics... his prices are better than anyone elses i've seen... i searched online, and these get good reviews, just wondering who here is using them, mainly the tc, but would like to hear any info

• Members

The difference between the Vienna and the Hamburg are a bit strange though. They are almost identical, except I believe a TINY bump, leaving the Hamburg slightly less highs. They are somuch the same though, that it wouldnt be a good idea to have both for contrast. I have read alot about these, and have NEVER read anything bad about either, except for the closeness thing.

I have to sell a few more cheap mics, before I get one though, cant justify another 2-3 hundred dollar mic in the closet!

• Members

i'll take what info i can get, i need a good mic, and my head is spinning, i'm thinking of the tc, baby bottle, used akg414.. whatever will work on vocals and acoustic steel string.. i was gonna get a used gefell m930 but the seller backed out.. these akg mics just seem to be a good value overall, of course not having heard one, who knows if i'll like it

• Members

used baby bottle, and the BULS 414 are almost slam dunks. The older baby bottles would be a better bet, because the whole "Blue" soap opera hadent started yet. I read somewhere also, that the Vienna sounds better on instruments than most LDC do *in that price range*, most of them arent considered to cross over very well.

My friend has a baby bottle, and he has had a hundred mics, and swears the baby bottle is gorgeous on acoustic.

• Members

i'm checkiing craigslist for mics all the time, looking for a nice deal, if the baby bottle is nice on acoustic and works on my vox, i would go for it.. i haven't seen many akg414s on the used market, i guess thats because people keep them?

• Members

Pat,

I see them on ebay frequently, in fact, the new BXLS can be had new sometimes, around 650.00. There are still some vendors that stick the XL2 up for 999 and leave it, but many others seem to be trying to move them. I watched them for about a month, but never scored one. I got frustrated, and got the Peluso 251!

The baby bottles go for a little less used than the 414 usually.

I think either way you would be happy.

• Members

Yessir Ken, he did. Henry is cool!

But pat, you are gettin into a price that I dont think you originally intended..... (LOL.....BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, DOIN THAT STILL!!)

If you can do it, do it! Henry put it better than I can, all I know is that I have not heard a mic like this before, it comes close to covering all the problems , and is a ton "upfront". The noise even seem less than the specs. (I am real anal about noise)....always been a pet peeve with me.

Phil has threatened to let me bring it over for a test drive sometime, if we do, Ill let him speak for it!:)

• Members

Originally posted by guitwizz

Phil has threatened to let me bring it over for a test drive sometime, if we do, Ill let him speak for it!
:)

We should do this and compare it to Phil's SounDelux and my Lawson L251. I can also bring over the Neve Portico. We just have to figure out a time in which everyone's available.

So....about those ADKs??? :D

• Members

yeah, how about the ADKs? as usual i'm waffling, and i could probably swing $1000 max if i really wanted one, of course, i'd rather get something i could sell for around the same price i paid, that's been my gear philosophy, and i never regret a purchase too much that way.. have any of you guys bought mics from ebay? it just seems weird to me. but maybe it is safe

• Members

I've had 2 ADK 51's for a few years now and I LOVE them. Drum overheads, acoustic G, some vocs- they sound good through a decent mic pre. I'm in the market for a stellar voc mic at this years end (gotta spend some so that the US Govt doesn't get too much) and I'm looking at some of the better ADKs as an option.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

We should do this and compare it to Phil's SounDelux and my Lawson L251. I can also bring over the Neve Portico. We just have to figure out a time in which everyone's available.

So....about those ADKs???
:D

That sounds good, Houston... You hook it up with the Phil! Im 5 minutes away, but yo be in da 818!!! LOL! (or was it 213?) oh well.

Sounds cool either way:)

• Members

Originally posted by guitwizz

That sounds good, Houston... You hook it up with the Phil! Im 5 minutes away, but yo be in da 818!!! LOL! (or was it 213?) oh well.

Sounds cool either way:)

Was in 213, now in 818.

818. As in "Don't date in the 818." See, my area code gets dumped on too!! :D

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I own 2 ADK 51 TCs and 1 ADK 51 TT, as well as some of the more inexpensive A51s. I have 2 producer friends in Nashville that both told me to try the ADK mics, but they told me to buy the A51TT multipattern tube mic, (the $995 one) I ended up getting a 51TC (singlepattern tube mic) on Ebay for around $270, and absolutely loved it. I bought another 51TC on Ebay for under $200 and now have a fantastic set of tube mics. I saw that there was a 51TT up for auction and won it for $600, thinking that if the TC version sounded that good, the TT had to be stellar. I ended up still liking my TC's for male vocals better, but the TT is an amazing mic on acoustic guitar, and baritone vocals, as well as having the ability to be a multi pattern mic. I talked to the USA ADK president and he said that they were developing a $100 tube that you will soon be able to replace the cheap $10 tube that's in it right now. So I'm anticipating that these mics will sound phenomenal, they already do IMO. By the way, I love the way the 51TC sounds through an FMR RNP.

Archived