sanding off sticky nitro finish from back of neck

SpliffyJonez

• Members

Sanding the finish you have will look awful even with super fine sandpaper, and tung oil will wear off in no time - its not durable enough for a neck.

The best thing is to sand down bare wood, polish up to 600 grit and then apply one coat of a rubbed in varathane like Minwax Wipe-on Poly. You'll get an almost frictionless durable finish with a soft gloss lustre.

• Members

Rather than sand the nitro off why not carefully wipe it off with lacquer thinner? Then clean it up with fine steel wool (the synthetic substitute is even better.) Real nitro quickly dissolves when dampened with lacquer thinner. Just be really careful about not touching the finish anywhere else.

I would also tend to agree with the idea of putting some sort of durable finish back on the wood after it is stripped. Raw maple gets really ugly really fast. Wipe on poly or acrylic is very durable and can be scuffed to satin-slick with fine steel wool.

Although, honestly I think stripping the finish is a bad idea to begin with...

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

use baby powder like for billiards. They put the powder on the stock and it makes the stroke smooth. Why woldnt this help for the neck?

temp yes..then you will get it all gunky and nasty as your sweat mixes with the powder..yuck. I keep mine clean, wipe it off after playing and polish it once in a while..no problems.

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

I have tons of nitro guitars, and none of the necks are sticky. Of course I make sure I leave them out of their case to dry (takes a year or so) and I never wax a neck.

+1.

No need to be hasty. Clean the sticky off as it comes out. Once the neck nitro cures the prob is gone.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

I have tons of nitro guitars, and none of the necks are sticky. Of course I make sure I leave them out of their case to dry (takes a year or so) and I never wax a neck.

I also have a nitro guitar, a Fender '52 RI Telecaster, I must concur that the back of its neck is as sticky as fly paper! (Slight exageration there :D ). But it really is a sticky bugger. Some of the finish dissolves with each playing.

My cherished tele spends most of its time preserved in its case, but when I do play it, I just wipe down the back of the neck with a terry cloth towel and put it away til next time.

I figure that with that process I will eventually achieve the true "broken-in neck feeling" on a guitar that actually needs to be "broken in".

Archived