'Verb Recommendation for Pro Tools - Wizoo W2 anyone?

• Members

Hi all,

I've got a small project studio and am looking for a good reverb plugin for Pro Tools. The Wizoo W2 sounds interesting, but I have not been able to find much user feedback (or even reviews) online. Does anyone here use this plug in?

Any other 'verb recommendations?

Thanks,

Binkeys

• Members

Reverb One

Waves IR 360

Altiverb

Sony Oxford

TL Space

McDSP Revolver

You can browse through the plug-ins available for your system on digidesigns site. Go to products, select HD/LE/MP, select system options and then plug-ins and then you can browse by OS/Company/Effect type.

Most of them will have a demo available. Time limited ilok authorization.

• Members

I have not used a lot of them, and use an older PT system (5.1 LE), in case it matters.

I've had pretty good luck with RealVerb. Sounds good. For some reason, I struggle more to get a decent sound out of the Waves reverb. I also use a hardware rack mount unit, the TC Electronic M300 via S/PDIF, and that works well too.

• Members

Thanks for the answers!

Excepting one of the Waves plugs, these are all much more expensive than the Wizoo W2.

I've been reading some negative posts about Waves on the Digidesign user boards. Apparently, they're requiring their users to pay an additional fee ($100 +) for Pro Tools 7 supported updates. As a result, I'd think I'd like to avoid Waves products.

I had RealVerb a while back when I was on OS9, but I couldn't seem to get a sound I was happy with.

I am planning to try the Wizoo demo. Its interesting that there has been virtually no discussion of it online. I'd think that a convolution reverb that "allegedly" sounds as good as higher-priced competitors, would have atrracted some discussion (even if just to knock it) or music mag reviews. Yet, with the exception of one user review on HC, I've been unable to find anything helpful online.

• Moderators

Thanks for the heads up on Wizoo. I'm also looking for high quality verb and don't want to go the Waves route on this.

I tried to use the VST to RTAS wrapper on the free SIR convolution plugin but it failed. If I have success I'll report back.

I've just downloaded the Wizoo demo and will try that tonight as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Binkeys

I had RealVerb a while back when I was on OS9, but I couldn't seem to get a sound I was happy with..

Then it's probably the same version that I am still using. I tend to use TC M300 for for my main reverb, and augment that with RealVerb (vocals mostly). I also use RealVerb for snares, and it seems to work fine with that.

• Members

The Wizoo W2 is a GREAT reverb plug-in. The sound is about as smooth as I've heard from a software verb and the interface is pretty cool. It's my go-to right now, but it's still a new toy to me. Although, I did end up going back on a project that was about finished and loaded up the W2 on about half the songs for the project for vocal and drum busses on my own time - I just felt it was enough more of the sound I was after that it was worth the effort. I particularly like it on vocals.

Here's what I have that it's going up against:

UAD-1 Dreamverb

UAD-1 Realverb

Waves True Verb

SIR with a plethora of impulses

Perfect Space

Timeworks

etc.

• Moderators

Matt: Thanks for the info. In your experience, is it processor intensive compared to other reverb plug ins?

Lee: Did you get a chance to try out the demo yet?

I got stuck on a mix and ran out of time. If the demo didn't have beep every 20 seconds as they described, I would have demoed in the mix and called it a day.

Tonight.

The website does mention it's low cpu overhead...

• Moderators

Originally posted by Matt Hepworth

The Wizoo W2 is a GREAT reverb plug-in. The sound is about as smooth as I've heard from a software verb and the interface is pretty cool. It's my go-to right now, but it's still a new toy to me. Although, I did end up going back on a project that was about finished and loaded up the W2 on about half the songs for the project for vocal and drum busses on my own time - I just felt it was enough more of the sound I was after that it was worth the effort. I particularly like it on vocals.

Here's what I have that it's going up against:

UAD-1 Dreamverb

UAD-1 Realverb

Waves True Verb

SIR with a plethora of impulses

Perfect Space

Timeworks

etc.

What program ar you running SIR in Matt? Did you do a VST to RTAS convertion for PT or are you running it VST?

• Members

Originally posted by scapier

Instead of a plugin, get a cheap outboard reverb, and you'll get your money's worth. I got a Roland 330 for $150 and it kicks most plugins under $1000 in my opinion.

Spencer

Yeah, it has some serious advantages. A lot of dedicated hardware devices sound better than the software counterparts. AND as a bonus, it takes the load off the CPU. As I mentioned, the M300 is a hardware unit, and I use S/PDIF so there's no conversion, either. Cool.

• Members

The external processor idea is a good one, but I think I'd prefer a plug-in so that all of the parameters would be properly set when I open the session.

I can easily envision scenarious where I open something once every couple of weeks (or even months) when I have a few spare moments.

I'll give it some thought though. What external reverbs would you recommend in the same price range as the plugs we've mentioned.

• Members

The external processor idea is a good one, but I think I'd prefer a plug-in so that all of the parameters would be properly set when I open the session.

I'll give it some thought though. What external reverbs would you recommend in the same price range as the plugs we've mentioned.

Yeah, if you have really specific settings, plug-ins sure are convenient.

What I do is write down the parameter settings for my M300 in the session so all I do is twist a few knobs and I'm ready to go.

The M300 is a steal for how good it sounds. I bought it used for US$160, and you can buy it new for somewhere around US$200.

• Members

Thanks for the report, Lee! This sounds like it may be just what I'm looking for.

Another option I've recently read about isthe McDSP RTAS Bundle - Project Studio which is expected to start shipping in December.

It includes: Revolver LE, FilterBank LE, CompressorBank LE, Chrome Tone LE, Synthesizer One LE, and a green pre-programmed iLok.

List price is $495.

I have no familiarity with any of those plugs, though.

I'm also curious about how the iLok authorizations will work for people who already own one. For instance, will McDSP have a discounted version w/o the green iLok for those who don't need another one? Alternatively, will the authorization be transferable to my main iLok w/o fees? I'd like to see how they handle this. If there is a discounted version available, it might be worthwhile to spend the extra $$$.

Archived