EC Strat US Vs. MIJ?

joesl8

• Members

I was just thinking about these guitars (I'm not planning on buying one) and how I remember trying them at seperate times and they seemed completely different? The neck on the MIJ had what looked like a plastic like film on it instead of varnish? What gives, any comments on them, are they that different? Electronics, wood, design? I know the feel of the US was different as well, it felt a lot heavier, even heavy as compared to a RI for the US. Just curious B.S.'n here.

:cool:

• Members

i rember sometime ago... like 4 years ago.....that i was told that fender was separated in 3..

mia
mim
mij

and that mia were best
mim were ok
mij were crap...

now i think its

mij mia (both choices are best)
mim (good budget guitar)

im yet to see the quality on any mia strat after 2001...i have a 2000 inca sylver american standard strat, the last year of production of what was left of the original american standard strats......

i was very pissed at their new american series...as i thought of them as a cheaper substitute of the original standard.....

im not sure how well informed of misinformed...but i dig my americna standard strat from the year 2000
and would dig mij strats if i could try them

• Members

I'm not sure what the MIJ is officially called, I believe it's 57LS or something like that? It is however supposed to be their version of the EC strat. They have a "Hendrix 68" style and an "SRV" looking one, they are not labelled the players names, just the RI date, "US" for the use of US pickups and so forth. I saw the MIJ EC strat in a local Guitar Center. I'm sure it's a nice guitar, it has the electronics and Lace Sensor pups, I was mainly curious about the neck or I should say its finish? It was weird, plasticy? I owned another MIJ strat awhile back, it had a rosewood fretboard but had that same feeling and looking plastic like coating instead of varnish? It looks fake and cheap IMO, and I can't see why they do it. I've seen good and bad products made from all the plants, MIA, MIJ, and MIM, the MIJ may have a slightly higher quality control overall.

:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by joesl8

I'm not sure what the MIJ is officially called, I believe it's 57LS or something like that? It is however supposed to be their version of the EC strat.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/st5495ls.htm

I played one recently, and it wasn't bad. The neck has a 250mm radius, which is a little flat for my tastes, at least with the vintage frets. Flat boards need big frets, IMO , and that was the deal breaker for me. The profile is very nice though. Overall it's a very nice guitar, one that I really wanted to like, but.... yeah.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

that's $660 give or take. By the time you're done paying for shipping and potentially customs, you could have bought a real Clapton strat, probably used, but lightly so. Not worth it in my book.

Ya know it's a funny thing here but we often get derailed on the real topic. Let me bring it back. That "MIJ Clapton" strat had some funky coated neck, I owned another MIJ strat, 62 Reissue I believe, and it had that same crappy type finish on it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anyway that's my main question, has anyone seen or played these guitars and can you explain exactly what the hell that finish is? It looks like particle board might be compressed under a printed finish or something? I think an EC strat US would be a lot more by the way, if someone has a US model they want to sell for around $700, let me know, I'd buy it!

• Members

Ya know it's a funny thing here but we often get derailed on the real topic. Let me bring it back. That "MIJ Clapton" strat had some funky coated neck, I owned another MIJ strat, 62 Reissue I believe, and it had that same crappy type finish on it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anyway that's my main question, has anyone seen or played these guitars and can you explain exactly what the hell that finish is? It looks like particle board might be compressed under a printed finish or something? I think an EC strat US would be a lot more by the way, if someone has a US model they want to sell for around $700, let me know, I'd buy it!

They sell on ebay regularly for $800 and up. You won't get a strat shipped from Japan for $40 ;) It usually costs between $100 and $150 from what I have seen. And the actual EC has a case with it, too. I don't know if that one does.

As for the finish on the neck, sorry, can't say. Didn't mean to hijack your thread...

• Members
Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

They sell on ebay regularly for $800 and up. You won't get a strat shipped from Japan for $40
;)
It usually costs between $100 and $150 from what I have seen. And the actual EC has a case with it, too. I don't know if that one does.

As for the finish on the neck, sorry, can't say. Didn't mean to hijack your thread...

No problem, like I said I'm not planning on buying one, I was just curious because I had a strat with similar finish MIJ? Still don't know if it was wood or some plastic coating, like a faux finish ala the MIJ photo finishes? I'd buy US if I had to choose so I was just playing devil's advocate on that response. Oh well, I guess I'll never know about the finish?

• Members

I'm not sure what the MIJ is officially called, I believe it's 57LS or something like that? It is however supposed to be their version of the EC strat. They have a "Hendrix 68" style and an "SRV" looking one, they are not labelled the players names, just the RI date, "US" for the use of US pickups and so forth. I saw the MIJ EC strat in a local Guitar Center. I'm sure it's a nice guitar, it has the electronics and Lace Sensor pups, I was mainly curious about the neck or I should say its finish? It was weird, plasticy? I owned another MIJ strat awhile back, it had a rosewood fretboard but had that same feeling and looking plastic like coating instead of varnish? It looks fake and cheap IMO, and I can't see why they do it. I've seen good and bad products made from all the plants, MIA, MIJ, and MIM, the MIJ may have a slightly higher quality control overall.

i can relate man...sometime ago i saw some strange new fenders...they called me (the guitars called me, seemed solid from the distance) .. the finish of the neck had a strange feel, sort of "satin" plexy kind of thing......im not sure how the sounded..but felt in need of a nice setup...

Archived