Akg C12vr

• Members

Try putting it on eBay for like 80% of what you paid for it... if it sells then you're cool... if it doesn't sell try dropping the price like 10% and maybe you'll get lucky.

Great decision to sell that mic... I hope you plan on putting the money toward a good mic.

Best of luck with the sale.

Originally posted by guitwizz

Is that the green and gold tube mic?

Yup. And it isn't a completely horrible mic IMO, but it's NOT a "real" C-12 by any stretch of the imagination, and IMO, there are several mics at roughly the same - or even at lower - price points that I personally prefer.

I've never understood why AKG and Neumann don't give people what they really want... real C-12, U67, etc reissues... it's probably cost / price point related, but then again, Telefunken USA has made a dead on clone of the original (AKG produced) Tele 251, and Soundelux and Brauner are making killer mics in the old school tradition... it COULD be done if they wanted to.

• Members

I ordinarily would not have a mic of this caliber, but I was fortunate enough to win a Lawson L251 in a drawing. It's about US$2400. I don't know how it sounds to comparable mics under $3000, but I think it sounds amazing on vocals. There's yet to be a vocalist who didn't sound amazing through this mic, and it continues to earn compliments from everyone who walks into my studio. Beautiful warm sound, a gorgeous open top end...I am so grateful that I have this mic. Between this mic and a Neve Portico, I'm in total heaven.

The only other mic that comes close that I own is an Audio-Technica AT4060 (modified - new caps and tube). It's a sweet sounding mic that sounds really good on guitar and bass cabinets, and has a very smooth neutral sound that is very nice with vocals. But while it does sound good on vocals, I end up using the Lawson L251 every single time. It just has a certain magic on vocals that brings a smile to my face.

Phil has a Soundelux L251 replica that he seems extremely happy with. No, I don't know how much this costs.

Archived