Recommend a 1/2 space or smaller delay unit that is stereo i/o

• Members

Don't you think a plugin delay is far superior in this application? The AD converters on a laptop are probably better than most cheapie delay boxes.

I've even seen a free plugin designed for this application, and you can dial in the distance and temperature and it calculates the delay for you.

You can get a free VST host that can run 1 VST plugin. There are plenty of excellent VST delays that are true stereo and adjustable down to the millisecond. Voxengo would have a good one.

If you already have a laptop, this is all free.

• Members

Why, since I already specified that I want a 1/2 rack space or smaller unit, would a laptop be a better solution? While I appreciate your suggestion, it is very impractical.

I searched extensively and found no Roland SE-50 or 70 units anywhere. Are these true stereo i/o?

• Members

There's an ART unit I bought about 8 or 9 years ago, fits the 1/3 rack mantra, maintains stereo throughout. Model escapes me at the moment, as it's packed away. Pretty cheap. Sounds great.

Wall wart. Black, rounded edges on the chassis, not unlike the little tube pre units they would later come out with.

• Members

Sorry - that was a BOSS SE50. (It was a long time ago, but I had two of them).

They were certainly true stereo - very full featured. You could set them up as a stereo delay AND a Stereo reverb and use them like two independant devices that shared the return bus. I had a second one just for the rotary emulation.

Most people who own one won't part with it. I'm happier with plugins now.

• Members

Yes I know it was a Boss unit, which is also Roland I found while researching.

I searched for ART Delays, but found nothing. That's exactly what I'm looking for, a small 1/2 or 1/3 space unit I can tuck into the back of my rack that's decent quality and maintains true stereo. It doesn't even have to be balanced, however +4 would be nice. If you happen to think of the model#, I'd appreciate it.

• Members

I'll look around here; hell, I'd like to know where I put it, anyhoo :freak:

Suddenly, I want to say it's an ART FX-1. I'll keep looking. It had lotsa reverbs and a couple of delays in it; nothing really adjustable, just stepped-pot selectable.

EDIT:

Just googled it...yes, it IS an ART FX-1.

See it here.

• Members

Perfect size and price, however, I suspect the delay setting is a multiple repeat like the nanoverb. If you find yours and can check that out for me, I'd appreciate it. I'll talk to the various vendors that list them still for sale and see if they know after the holiday.

That's pretty miuch exactly what I'm looking for, but, as I mentioned, these units typically have no feedback/regeneration adjustments, and the delay settings are designed for a washy type of delay for vocals and guitars, not a no repeat delay for my application.

• Members

I have an SE50 and SE70 and they are excellent units. The 70 is definitely an upgrade over the 50. Both are true stereo. If you want to think outside the box, so to speak, another possibility is the Boss DD20 GigaDelay. It's a pedal rather than a rack mount unit, but is stereo in and out, has lots of tweakablity, and sounds great. That may or may not work for your needs, but I just thought I'd throw it out as an alternative suggestion.

Archived