Cover Bands Not Welcome - Is this a trend?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ancient composers are a little different. They wrote stuff specifically for other people to play, and rarely, if ever, performed their own material themselves. That's a little different than some local Hawaiian shirt wearing geezer cover band playing Margaritaville to 6 drunken tourists in a hotel bar.

• Members

The problem with that is that even when he was alive, his music still had to be conducted and performed by an orchestra.

Depends on the composition He was a professional performer - he'd play salons, was a court organist early on - and he wrote for piano, small ensemble, and all that .

• Moderators

I thought venues paid a yearly license fee for live entertainment in general. A cover band license so to speak and it had to be posted. Like a yearly liquor license. Pay once no matter how many cover bands you have in a year.

Two separate issues...one is a local ordinance permit, sometimes called a cabaret license. That allows you to have live music, in some cases it may specifically exclude drums. But that is not part of the PRO issue. At discussion here is the advantage of avoiding the PRO license fee by hiring unknown original bands.

• Members

At discussion here is the advantage of avoiding the PRO license fee by hiring unknown original bands.

"Known" ones too though right? I don't think most bands that I know working with Perfoming Rights Orgs try to double dip on the shows they play.

• Moderators

"Known" ones too though right? I don't think most bands that I know working with Perfoming Rights Orgs try to double dip on the shows they play.

go back to around post #74... ;)

If I were in an all originals band, and we were with a PRO, I would refuse to play a venue who was not under an agreement with my PRO....hey, ya gotta have some ethics, right? :wave:

I mean, seriously, why would I have signed up with a PRO if I am going to go behind their back?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

the sad truth is almost no one cares about original music (and that most original bands arnt that great)

Writing music is HARD and writing music people will like or care about is even harder and when you DO do that you arnt going to be playing local bars forever and when you move on who is going to take your place?

People go to bars to have fun/drink/meet people to f*ck. Cover music helps that along, its easy and people have a good time with is.

Its successful for a reason

• Members

LOL - There aren't a whole lot of new modern songs worth covering, if'n ya ask me. :)

Actually I cover a couple of John Mayer songs, mostly because they have bluesy guitar solos in them and I like to play bluesy every now and again.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

You're right, to a point.  The majority of venues in my neck of the woods showcase original bands, and by and large, those venues do as well as the ones that strictly book cover bands. I for one enjoy seeing both original bands, and cover bands, depending on my mood, and I have close friends that play in both.

Even though I myself play in an original band, I would hate to see the local cover bands be unable to get a gig.  I hope that this is not a trend.  There is room for both original and cover bands in any town.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 3/7/2020 at 5:01 PM, CDN-B said:

Doesn't it boil down to artist vs technician?

youre responding to a 9 year old thread in which the last poast was made about 7 years ago...   but ummmm....   welcome to the boards, n00b...  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived