Cover Bands Not Welcome - Is this a trend?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thats the doo rag...I have several colours as they are only $1 each, keep my hair tidy and out my food, and the longer back shades my neck from the sun

why doesnt everyone wear them??

I wear one, but it's called a cap.

• Members

Cover bands

:facepalm:

Originality is the one thing which unoriginal minds cannot feel the use of

That's the thing. It's like there's two clearly divided camps. They're so similar but miles apart.

Cover lovers - just wanna play whatever and maybe make a little coin.

Original band - just wanna play their own music and maybe make a little coin.

• Members

I once heard a cover band who did the finest example of a song I ever had occasion to witness , and in fact, their version eclipsed the originators by quite some margin ......The song was Bachman Turner Overdrives " Bak'in Carrot Biscuts "

• Members

Interesting. I should note that while our current band plays all covers, at various times I've been in bands that also did originals (and yes, I can appreciate the feelings of artistic creation and ownership when creating your own material). The problem I see is that MANY all originals amateur bands I've heard are usually boring to listen to all night long. Often, a great many of their songs sound alike. I LIKE cover bands as I love to hear the many different ways a particular song can be interpretted. If they throw in a mix of covers and original, all the better. But, what I really HATE is TRIBUTE BANDS. I fail to see the point here at all? There's nothing artistic (that I can see) about copying someone else's sound, look, clothing, instruments, etc. If anyone should be busted for royalties, its TRIBUTE BANDS for outright plaguerism! But, going back to the royalties issue regarding clubs, who is behind this what appears to be VERY selective enforcement? Are published authors feeling so ripped off that they must now encourage the "Copyright Police" to go from club to club to figure out if someone's playing a cover??? And, it can certainly be argued that many bands add a substantial piece of their own proprietary creative process and artistic content to some decades-old "one-hit-wonder", such that a royalty may not even be appropriate? I just find this shake down of clubs disturbing.

I agree with this entirely. People that rip cover bands are idiots. As are people that refuse to play material written by other people on artistic principle, which is just a whacky way to go about the craft of music.

Who or who didn't write the material has nothing to do with the artistic merit of a musical performance. Performing is about performing.

There's nothing better than a great originals band. Unfortunately, most originals bands suck. That's the bottom line. Because writing good material is really, really, really hard. I mean, the only people having any fun at most original band shows... are the people on stage. That's now the way it should work.

• Moderators

But, going back to the royalties issue regarding clubs, who is behind this what appears to be VERY selective enforcement? Are published authors feeling so ripped off that they must now encourage the "Copyright Police" to go from club to club to figure out if someone's playing a cover??? And, it can certainly be argued that many bands add a substantial piece of their own proprietary creative process and artistic content to some decades-old "one-hit-wonder", such that a royalty may not even be appropriate? I just find this shake down of clubs disturbing.

Enforcement is difficult, not really as 'selective' as logic based....since you have to realize the PROs can't check every club in America...they just can't match up logistically, so how can they do this? They chase the ones most likely to bring money in...new liquor license application? bingo! New or renewed cabaret license? Nailed!

As to what constitutes the basis of royalties, if the song is the song the copyright holder gets the money. It makes no difference what the musical arrangement is, if you use their music and/or lyrics, they get paid. You can play it 10 times faster or slower, add a bridge, drop a verse...no matter...

• Members

we need to stop encouraging these greedy songwriter types ...... How can the poor , destitute club owner who is only selling single beers at a price that one could buy the entire six pack for a block away at seven eleven ever stay in business when the original creators of the entertainment that in part , is helping bring in the patrons, then have a means to claw back a pittance of a percentage ??? It is all so very wrong , wanting remuneration for their efforts . DOWN WITH SONGWRITERS!!!

• Members

Also, if "hot twenty year olds grinding" enthuses you, especially if you're over 35... I have more issues with your persona than just your taste in music.

Ha! Yeah, that might have sounded a little creepy. That probably should have read "twenty-somethings" or less specifically "female fans" for you squeamish politically correct types. But, hell, I'm over thirty-five- I'm not dead!

• Members

One little point that's being overlooked here is that if the originals band plays any song of their own that they have registered with BMI or ASCAP, the venue owner is still required to pay for a license. It's part of the agreement we make when we sign with a PRO.

So having an originals band playing does not necessarily save the venue money, especially if the band has released recordings.

• Moderators

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that most originals bands doing pay 2 play in some podunk bar are not ASCAP or BMI members....but you are correct...if they are then the club has to pay the fees. I will go on another limb and suggest most club owners don't realize this potential landmine exists...but on the other side of the coin, the odds are astronomical against...

Archived