rrrredrvr

Cover Bands Not Welcome - Is this a trend?

The only thing I did wrong was have an opinion at harmony central. People agreed with me. Where's the anger directed at them?

Because the other people stated their opinions maturely, with well thought out points. Your point, when presented with the notion of cover bands being banned, was "good I hate them! Long live my opinion" followed with the stand by "lulz, why you mad tho?".

While I find you amusing, suffice it to say as you get older and social decorum rears it's ugly head, you may realize you could have stated you opinion differently is all. No harm done. :)

What me angry? Not even. I was laughing my head off! For several reasons. I do get irratated by the undeserved elitist anti-cover band attitude of many original acts who can't play their own instruments and whos friends and family won't tell them how bad they really are. Just because it's original, it doesn't make it good. To be clear, I'm speaking generally and not specifically here. And as a side note, watching another band do a cover of one of your songs and having the crowd go nuts is pretty friggin' cool.

Actually, I'll back pedal a little here. A really bad cover band can be worse. Their parts have been written for them. Poor perfomance can only be attributted to lack of talent or laziness. They'll call it "interpretation". At least an original band can say it was written that way. :lol:

Actually, I'll back pedal a little here. A really bad cover band can be worse. Their parts have been written for them. Poor perfomance can only be attributted to lack of talent or laziness. They'll call it "interpretation". At least an original band can say it was written that way.
:lol:

Amen brutha! :D

With DJs today, I just don't see a need for cover bands.

DJs play all sorts of genres, have more tunes at their disposal, and gets the girls shakin more than any cover bands do. Also, they usually sound better than most cover bands, especially when the bands are stuck with the in-house sound guy.

I just don't see a need for cover bands, and they really do bore me. I don't like DJs either, but cover bands are worse IMO.

Yeah, residuals and royalties are for posers!
:facepalm:

Why would anybody put down a system designed to make sure that musicians get paid for their work? There are some exclusions. Check out item 15 here:

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html

Cover bands torture? Torture is sitting through four "original" bands, struggling to get through five or six of their own poorly written, shitty songs, to hear one band that has thier shit together, play through a piss poor PA to a small crowd that bitches about a two dollar cover charge and three dollar beers. I'll go every time, but that versus some hot twenty year olds grinding to some well known cover band... Hmmm.

^This.

Having said that, I do occasionally like to go to see original bands. But most of the time, your sentiments echo mine.

With DJs today, I just don't see a need for cover bands.

DJs play all sorts of genres, have more tunes at their disposal, and gets the girls shakin more than any cover bands do. Also, they usually sound better than most cover bands, especially when the bands are stuck with the in-house sound guy.

I just don't see a need for cover bands, and they really do bore me. I don't like DJs either, but cover bands are worse IMO.

Ditto x 1000. Unless there is some originality involved in the arrangement or interpretation, I'd rather listen to a DJ spin tunes, than painful semi-crappy sounding covers at maximum decibels.

However, if your audience's main goals are getting drunk and dancing, then the music is secondary anyway.

99.99% of the time, if I go to see music it's going to be an original band that I like - 'cause frankly I'd much rather hear the original artist do their own stuff. The only exception would be if an original band does a interesting/weird/cool version of someone else's song that I wouldn't have expected - like Japan's version of Marvin Gaye's "Ain't that Peculiar", Woven Hand's version of "Ain't no Sunshine", Yat-Kha's rendition of Kraftwerk's "Man-Machine", Charming Hostess's version of RL Burnside's "Wish I was In Heaven Sitting Down", or Schneider TM's version of The Smiths' "There is a LIght that Never Goes Out". I've also discovered some great music because of bands doing covers of songs by obscure or otherwise overlooked artists. Jazz is a different story. I can hear jazz standards all day.

Cover bands torture? Torture is sitting through four "original" bands, struggling to get through five or six of their own poorly written, shitty songs, to hear one band that has thier shit together, play through a piss poor PA to a small crowd that bitches about a two dollar cover charge and three dollar beers. I'll go every time, but that versus some hot twenty year olds grinding to some well known cover band... Hmmm.

The venue, the bitching, and the beer costs are there no matter what band is playing. If the venue is instantly transformed into the Ritz just because a fucking cover band is playing...

Also, if "hot twenty year olds grinding" enthuses you, especially if you're over 35... I have more issues with your persona than just your taste in music.

Everyone has an opinion, which is fine. The reality is that people like DJ's and people still like cover bands, though it definitely seems like people like cover bands less than, say, 30 years ago. Perhaps their popularity is slowly fading? But I do see more solo performers out there than ever before, playing covers.

People like seeing live music. Maybe it's not the event it was 30 years ago, but they still like it. And because they like it, it puts money in the pockets of our fellow musicians (and in some cases, us.) It's easy to say that there shouldn't be any cover bands if you're not doing it to put food on the table. Fortunately for guys in cover bands, they are hired based on how much booze a venue can sell when they play, as opposed to the opinions of musicians in forums.

I may be wrong in how this applies in the USA but basically doesn't a venue pay ASCAP/BMI/whoever fees even if they have recorded (rather than live) music playing, whether it be background music or a DJ? I know they do here in the UK. What I don't know is if it's more expensive to have live music than recorded music - seems odd if that's the case.

My sister, now widow, she was married to the director of the agricultural world bank, paints and gives me some of her paintings as present.

All those painting look a little bit alike like this or that painter, e.g like Picasso and other painters of whom some amateurs think I can do that too.

All no problem for me, except that she is insulted when I don't hang her paintings in my house next to great painting.

Fixed.

You didn't fix anything. Three reasons:

1) Editing quotes is a tool for the lame, unoriginal, and uninspired

2) I never actually report posts

3) I know trainset, and "reported" is an in-joke between the two of us.

Thanks for playing.

why did i choose trainset...that is singularly the worst screen name ive came up with so far lol

fucking trainset

lol

i was banned from a forum for reporting posts, including my own...the said it was "causing mayhem"

back to your regularly scheduled programme

why did i choose trainset...that is singularly the worst screen name ive came up with so far lol

fucking trainset

lol

Yeah you coulda done better. :D