What does latency sound like? Because I think I may have it.

• Members

Weird artifacty echo sounds.

Not put there on purpose.

Is that latency? Can I fix it? Do I need more gear or more talent? I can't afford either one. :D

I'll be glad to send anyone a link through PM so you can hear it but I don't really want to post it because you guys know what you're doing and I'm a beginner and so I'd be a bit intimidated having all of you listen to my mix right now.

Are you hearing these "artifacts" while tracking, or while playing the recording back? If you're hearing it while tracking, it's probably latency. As Where said, it's a delay that is caused by the processing time it takes for the signal to get into the A/D converters, be recorded and processed by your computer and then sent back out to the outputs. This is usually adjustable via a buffer setting in your sound card drivers or recording software - lower buffer settings will result in less latency, but places a greater demand on your computer system. Higher buffer settings make less demands on your system, but result in higher latency and delays. In general, you want to use the lowest possible buffer settings when tracking (so the delays are inaudible and don't throw off your timing and feel), and the highest buffer settings when mixing, so that your CPU power is available for the maximum amount of plug ins.

Some audio interfaces also offer "low latency monitoring". Usually this is a hardware mixer built into the audio interface that routes a "copy" of the audio directly out of the soundcard for monitoring purposes before it makes that "round trip" through your computer system, thereby allowing you to monitor the stuff you're tracking sans latency.

• Members

Yeah, it's on playback. No trouble tracking.

Given what you said I don't think it's a latency issue.

I think too much like the guitarist I am...so when I say delay I mean echo. :D

Just a real faint warbly echo in certain parts.

Oh well, I'll listen more carefully and try to decipher exactly where it's coming from.

• Members

Interesting. It could be caused by phase problems from multiple mics. Are you using multiple mics?

Latency can cause phase problems if you're monitoring both the direct signal from your board AND the delayed signal from your DAW at the same time. This shouldn't affect playback, though.

• Members

Latency is just unwanted delay - not echo. It doesn't sound like what people have been saying. It doesn't change your sound at all, it just makes it play later than its supposed to. If you run your drum track through a bunch of effects that add latency and don't correct for it, your drums will be out of time with the rest of your tracks. If you're trying to play a VSTi with a controller and there is latency, you will her the sound a few moments after you press a key

• Members

Originally posted by A_Str8

Latency is just unwanted delay - not echo. It doesn't sound like what people have been saying. It doesn't change your sound at all, it just makes it play later than its supposed to. If you run your drum track through a bunch of effects that add latency and don't correct for it, your drums will be out of time with the rest of your tracks. If you're trying to play a VSTi with a controller and there is latency, you will her the sound a few moments after you press a key

There is a big difference in latency issues with virtual instruments and latency issuees when tracking real instruments and latency can sound as everyone described above, but can be completely avoided if your interface offers input monitoring.

When you are tracking a live instrument, some interfaces allow input monitoring and output monitoring at the same time, the Tascam 1082/Cubase LE combination being an example. In this setting you will hear you original signal along with the latent signal. This can cause some situations in which:

A) When you record it just sounds huge (signals in phase) and you can't figure out why it doesn't sound the same on playback.

B) When you record it sounds weird (out of phase) with a slight delay(echo) mixed in with your original sound. However, playback sounds good.

In either case, the phase/latency situation should never affect playback. It's best to choose 1 monitoring method and stick with it. Everyone who described latency as an audible delay with the original source audible must be using both monitoring methods at the same time because if you only input monitor there is no audible latency and only output monitor there is only the latent signal (like a 100% wet delay).

If your DAW does not automatically correct for latency on playback caused by plugs as well as automatic time aligning, be aware that there are plenty of affordable software solutions that do (the bundled Cubase LE being one of them).

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Latency is a delay caused by the time it takes for computer to process audio. It can be anywhere from inaudible to a few hundred ms.

I should also add that latency always exists in a DAW environment. However, like I mentioned in the last post input monitoring eliminates the audible effects of this latency.

Archived