Interesting read I stumbled on.....(long, but good)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The record companies, the so called majors as well the independents, selling more songs then ever before.

I don't see any reasons why people keep telling the music industry has a crisis.

But I do think that there's no denying the negative impact that the death of the majors is having on popular music

• Members

We're in a period of massive changes and there's some fantastic music coming out right now that will never get the attention it deserves because of all of the background noise.

Or , as an alternate theory , Those artist music isn't recognised because they forgot to include a bridge in their compositions .......

Have we decided our position on drum solo's yet????

• Members

The record companies, the so called majors as well the independents, selling more songs then ever before.

I don't see any reasons why people keep telling the music industry has a crisis.

Because selling songs and selling records is two different things, mainly that selling songs isn't all that profitable.

IFPI publishes Recording Industry in Numbers 2010

London, 28th April 2010

IFPI today publishes the Recording Industry in Numbers 2010 (RIN), providing a comprehensive picture of key trends of today's music business. Highlights include:

Global recorded music revenues declined 7% in 2009

Some key markets saw a return to growth

Digital sales grew strongly in many markets

Piracy continued to erode legitimate music sales worldwide

Commenting on the new edition of the RIN, IFPI chairman and CEO John Kennedy says:

"The global music business is continuing to fight its corner, investing in talent and developing new business models despite the problems of a market rigged by piracy. Music companies are investing over US$5 billion a year in developing and marketing artists, licensing hundreds of services and adapting their distribution channels to meet changing consumer demand.

"
Global music sales in 2009 fell by 7%
. This is disappointing, but amid the decline there are some very positive points. No fewer than thirteen countries saw music sales grow in 2009, including important markets such as Australia, Brazil, South Korea, Sweden and the UK. Digital sales in some of those markets rose at very encouraging rates, reflecting the new opportunities of online and mobile channels. South Korea and Sweden in particular saw striking returns to growth, showing how an improved legal environment can help impact on legitimate music sales.

"Reducing piracy is critical if these improvements are going to translate into long term recovery for our global business. Here too there are encouraging developments. France and the UK, in particular, are leading the way with new legislation. There is a huge battle ahead, but also signs that the tide of opinion among governments is shifting as piracy's impact on the economy and jobs becomes clear. There is no doubt in my mind that growth is within reach for the music business - it depends, to a large extent, on how quickly governments can act to deal with piracy and, in doing so, tackle a market distortion that overshadows not just music but all the creative industries."

Highlights of the RIN 2010

Global recorded music sales

Global recorded music sales for 2009 show a mixed picture. Trade revenues to record companies fell by 7.2% to US$17 billion, with the world's two biggest markets, the US and Japan, making up 80% of the decline. The worldwide fall in revenues outside the US and Japan in 2009 was 3.2%. Physical sales fell by 12.7% globally.

There are key areas of market growth, however.
Digital music sales rose by 9.2%
to US$4.3 billion, more than ten times the digital market value in 2004. Digital channels now account for 25.3% of all trade revenues to record companies. In the US, digital sales account for nearly half - 43% - of the recorded music market. More than 30 countries saw double-digit growth rates in digital sales, and 17 markets, including Argentina, Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Singapore, Sweden and UK, saw digital sales grow by more than 40%.

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_news/20100428.html

• Members

What the heck are you talking about the music industry is declining.

iTunes sold 10 Billion songs by 2010. China Mobil sells 100 million songs per week. UNICOM sells 25 million songs per week. NOKIA sells 1.2 million songs per month in Switzerland alone. Zebralution only god knows how much they sell. My little record company sells songs for 756.000 Euro yearly on iTunes only, not including sales via 3600 other digital sales portals.

• Members

What the heck are you talking about the music industry is declining.

iTunes sold 10 Billion songs by 2010. China Mobil sells 100 million songs per week. UNICOM sells 25 million songs per week. NOKIA sells 1.2 million songs per month in Switzerland alone. Zebralution only god knows how much they sell. My little record company sells songs for 756.000 Euro yearly on iTunes only, not including sales via 3600 other digital sales portals.

No one said sales were declining, at least not digitally. Revenues are declining. You do know the difference, do you not?

And please, if you're going to offer figures, put links up to support them. Otherwise, you could be pulling these numbers out of your hip pockets for all anyone knows.

• Members

No one said
sales
were declining, at least not digitally.
Revenues
are declining. You do know the difference, do you not?

What do you think are the revenues of digital sales?

A mp3 costs $0.99 in the US, in Switzerland one mp3 cost $1.50, in China one mp3 costs 2-20 yuan price depending on the songs quality.

And please, if you're going to offer figures, put links up to support them. Otherwise, you could be pulling these numbers out of your hip pockets for all anyone knows.

You actually think I make you a link to the companies bookkeeping I work with, may attach a yearly report as PDF, or what

Your link:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=itunes+sold&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&hl=de&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images&btnG=Google-Suche

• Members

What do you think are the revenues of digital sales?

A mp3 costs $0.99 in the US, in Switzerland one mp3 cost $1.50, in China one mp3 costs 2-20 yuan price depending on the songs quality.

You actually think I make you a link to the companies bookkeeping I work with, may attach a yearly report as PDF, or what

I know the revenues of digital sales. But they don't offset the loss of hard copy sales, which are down, and piracy. It costs a major artists the same to record whether it's dumped onto a low-cost disc and sold for 18 bucks or digitized and sold for a dollar. But if you're selling it for a dollar, you have to sell it to 10 times more people to make up the shortfall. (adjust for savings of not having a disc, printing, distribution etc)

I posted a link with facts on it. You didn't. If China is indeed selling 100 million digital units a week, it should be easy to prove. Sorry, but I don't take anyone's word for anything. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.

• Members

Only what I heard from my incontrovertible, irrefutable , all knowing, unquestionable guru of digital sales ; Rudolf von Hagenwil
:freak:

Haha.

This is the world leading digital record label founded about 9 years ago by a smart executive who knew what would happen to the traditional record companies lead by melonheads into the catastrophe. It was the first digital record label, today with a music catalogue with over 350.000 songs and offices all over the place:

http://www.zebralution.com/home/php/nbout.php?bname=en_news&view=list

• Members

I know the revenues of digital sales. But they don't offset the loss of hard copy sales, which are down, and piracy. It costs a major artists the same to record whether it's dumped onto a low-cost disc and sold for 18 bucks or digitized and sold for a dollar. But if you're selling it for a dollar, you have to sell it to 10 times more people to make up the shortfall. (adjust for savings of not having a disc, printing, distribution etc)

I posted a link with facts on it. You didn't. If China is indeed selling 100 million digital units a week, it should be easy to prove. Sorry, but I don't take anyone's word for anything. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.

You can continue dreaming about the physical carrier which left the building about 8 years ago.

The link you posted is IFPI information. IFPI is a association controlled by lawers. Not many record companies are members of this association which lead their menber into the catastrophe they are in now. Those idiots draw a dark view of the music industry, blaming all sorts of people for the catastrophe they are responsible for, trying to save their ass.

Digital label are not members of IFPI, and most record companies aren't IFPI member.

• Members

Well, that's all interesting and stuff, but doesn't change the facts that the industry as a whole is losing money.

But the name of your company that is supposedly "the world leading digital record label" doesn't come up ion a single google search of digital distributors, record labels, anything. What does come up is this:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/11/for_worlds_top_digital_music_d.html (top in volume of releases)

Further, zebralution doesn't look like a record company but a royalty broker between artists and distributors. Whatever. I'm discussing apples and you're pulling out carrots to bolster your so-far unsubstantiated claims. I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from someone who clearly holds himself in such high regard.

• Members

Zebralution is a digital record label with hundreds of independent label in their distribution. All digital distribution, no physical carrier, never had any physical carriers.

Royalty broker is something I never heard of.

Well, that's all interesting and stuff, but doesn't change the facts that the industry am a whole is losing money.

But the name of your company that is supposedly "the world leading digital record label" doesn't come up ion a single google search of digital distributors, record labels, anything. What does come up is this:

(top in volume of releases)

Further, zebralution doesn't look like a record company but a royalty broker between artists and distributors. Whatever. I'm discussing apples and you're pulling out carrots to bolster your so-far unsubstantiated claims. I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from someone who clearly holds himself in such high regard.

• Members

About links, privat owned companies do not publish their business volume. Companies introducing shares at the stockmarket publish their business volume, but not the numbers of sales of albums or songs.

In China it is different. All large entertainment companies are government property. The 2500 leading technology companies in China are managed by a central governmental unit in Beijing, this also includes all oil companies, Intel Corp., telecoms, TV stations and record companies.

Archived