How far do you get with your home DAW recordings?

• Members

I would like to hear from all the non-pro's out there!!!

If you own a home studio of modest, but quality equipment accumulation, and record you/you're band's music at home using a DAW; how far do you take it?

-Do you just make rough demos to pitch? An acceptable representation of your music that will give bar owners, studio engineers, record exec's, etc a good idea of your music and sound?

-Do you take it through the mixing stage? Do you have the confidence to mix; pan, eq, fx, etc.? Then what do you do with it? Take it to a mastering engineer? Does the mastering engineer have to be running the same DAW software?

-OR-

-Do you completely master and finalize your music yourself? Are you happy with the quality you've achieved?

• Members

I fit your category quite well.

I track, edit, and mix, then send it off to a mastering engineer. I am extremely confident in my abilities to do all of the above, and do this for all bands, not just my own.

However, it's great to send it off to a mastering engineer who offers an additional perspective, has far better monitoring than I do, does this for a living, has a great set of ears, and has better equipment than I do.

The mastering engineer can use anything he wants, and does not have to have the same DAW as I do. I send it to him as 24-bit files on a data DVD, and he can open it up however he chooses.

I always recommend that everyone bring the stuff I've recorded to a mastering engineer. However, some people cannot afford a mastering engineer, and would rather pay me to quickly "master" their music, which I'm then happy to do for them.

• Moderators

At every step of the way I know there is someone much more talented then I doing the same thing. Better skills, better equipment, and better room.

I track, overdub, mix, and master because I can. Not the best, but the people I work with probably would not get the chance to have someone care about their thing like I do. And their stuff deserves to be heard.

I barely charge anything because it's not really a business yet. I've got a nice day gig and only one kid so... I climb it 'cause it's there.

All the way as far as I can. If anything I work on in the future has the budget to have ANY of the categories mentioned above done by someone better than I, they'll do it.

But so far it all comes from the DIY perspective in my camp.

Phil, please post to this question. I think we'd all like to hear your perspective.

Phil, please post to this question. I think we'd all like to hear your perspective.

I'm sorry, but I've been disqualified for being overqualified... oar something like that. :freak:;):D

I probably will later.. but IMO, there's a lot of truth in, and I found myself in complete agreement with, the first sentence of your post. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

At every step of the way I know there is someone much more talented then I doing the same thing.

Truer words may never have been spoken.

I think it's just like Christmas morning and Johnny got a bike. Being decently handy and able to comprehend basic instructions, you are assigned the task of putting it together. Though there's somebody out there, even someone you know, more qualified to put it together, you do it anyway. In the end, you get the bike together and it doesn't fall apart. And most importantly, Little Johnny's happy.

I see recording and mixing, and even the creation process, the same way. Depending on the project, your skills may be all that's needed. Particularly for mastering, unless it's a demo, that bad boy gets sent out. I'll track it and mix it, but mastering's one thing I try not to do.

So long as the end result sounds good, doesn't fall apart, and the client's happy, I can live with that.

Peace

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

And you're happy with your results?

With the tracking, editing, and mixing, absolutely. I am very happy with the results. They sound good by just about any standard and I'm proud of the sound I'm getting.

With the mastering?

Sort of.

I feel I can do some of what should be done, like get a flow going from song to song, get the levels even, perform gain optimization (read: make it louder), EQ it to make it a little better.

But I also know that mastering engineers can do it noticeably better and more efficiently than I can. I don't have the right tools for mastering - not the right monitors, not even the best software and EQs for the job. So I don't think I'm being falsely modest.

• Members

I have inadequate faciliites for tracking drums, but I've tracked and mixed nationally released material at home (including a folk album recorded mostly live in my living room). Lately, I've focused exclusively on mixing. On the side, I make a modest amount playing guitar for hire.

What I've taken in doesn't even come close to the amount I've expended, but I also use my recording equipment for my own projects.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I fit your category quite well.

I track, edit, and mix, then send it off to a mastering engineer. I am extremely confident in my abilities to do all of the above, and do this for all bands, not just my own.

However, it's great to send it off to a mastering engineer who offers an additional perspective, has far better monitoring than I do, does this for a living, has a great set of ears, and has better equipment than I do.

This is basically like I do it too. Except I don't have enough time in my hands to record projects where I'm not playing myself.

I don't send the material to the mastering engineer, I go with the tape and peek into the mastering process just to see and hear what he'd doing - and also to discuss what to do with the mixed material.

I don't hesitate publishing the stuff I've made this way - some might but I won't.

• Members

Originally posted by varakeef

This is basically like I do it too. Except I don't have enough time in my hands to record projects where I'm not playing myself.

That's what I used to say, but the thing kept mushrooming!!! :eek:

I probably take on about 4-6 other projects a year, depending (this is not including doing tape transfers from the Akai MG1214, which has turned into a mini cottage industry all itself). I figure if I keep making enough money to get new equipment (and upgrade and maintain it) and go on one good vacation a year, then the studio's a success!! :D

• Members

Which part?

The parts about modest and quality. ;)

Actually, with what limited equipment I have I try to do it all, including the mastering. I will, someday, get it to the point where I need to send out to a real pro but for now, it will have to do.

• Members

Yeah, I'm just an older hobbiest really. I write with a partner but then I play the instruments (guitars, bass, mando, sax, recorder, etc.), and program (sequence) drums and keys, do half the vocals and mix. I don't really want our stuff mastered in this day and age.

I master in as much as I sequence the order of the songs, make all the between song gaps and sound effects right, make sure the relative volume cut to cut is cool and that sort of thing.

I've got reasonable monitors (NS-10 Studios, Horrortones, and some big home made guys) and a pretty good room, but I'd love to have one of you cats with Adams check some of my mixes sometime and tell me what's working and what isn't sort of thing. Expect I've got a 'can't see the forest for the trees' syndrome going.

Yeah, I'd love to have outside help with drums, piano and especially with mixing. Mixing is hard!

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

The parts about modest and quality.
;)

Actually, with what limited equipment I have I try to do it all, including the mastering. I will, someday, get it to the point where I need to send out to a real pro but for now, it will have to do.

Dak, what do you mostly use? I'm not entirely sure what you're using!

• Members

Dak, what do you mostly use? I'm not entirely sure what you're using!

Ken, On my windows box I run n-Track Studio for recording and use various plug-ins, eq, compression & etc when needed. I use a program called Acoustica for the mastering I do, in conjunction with Quartz Audio Master, n-Track and an early version of Cool Edit. I also have an early version of Cakewalk and I'll use Audacity once in awhile and I'm checking out Kristal. I also have Tracktion somewhere. I gotta find the codes again.

Running Linux I'm trying Audacity but it's not much, not really the same as the windows version. I just got Ardour installed and I have to learn how to get that working with Jack. It's an open source program that's supposed to be somewhat similar to PT but doesn't look like it to me.

If I record to computer I run through a small mixer into the soundcard but I'll often record to tape, either cassette or open reel and run that to the computer.

No Selfcontained DAW.

Nothing special in mics. I had one LD condenser stolen so I'm down to one, an MXL990 with a pair of MXL1000 MD condensers and a Carvin CM90E SD condenser. Dynamic mics are Carvin, CAD, MXL and an old RS Highball ostensibly made by Shure. I also use a pair of Electro-Voice omnis, mostly for room, if needed or wanted.

• Members

I track, mix and master. None of what I've done has made it to a commercial release. One project was close but ran out of money just before CD replication. For this one, I did send it out for mastering. I would outsource mastering again for sure if budget allows as it makes a world of difference. My mastering does make a difference so I tend to do it myself if not being outsourced.

I mostly do my band's stuff and my own personal stuff. I have recorded other people and one actually kept paying and she's indicated she wants to record more. It's a hobby.

Am I happy with it? It's like sex: I know someone can do it better and get better results, but I'm just happy to be doing it! :D

Mastering your own stuff is never ideal. Doing so in the same room, on the same speakers and so forth that you used on the recording also brings up potential issues. However, the reality is that some projects don't have the budget for outside mastering, and some projects really don't need outside mastering. For example, a quickie demo, low budget indie "vanity" release, a radio ad spot, etc. But whenever possible, having someone who specializes in mastering and is an expert in that discipline do the job is the best way to go IMO. It gets another set of highly trained ears, a different and well designed acoustical environment, and a different perspective in on the action - and usually that is extremely beneficial. :thu:

The only thing I am honestly the "best in the world" at is being me. No one can do that quite like I can. ;) IMHO, I'm a very good tracking engineer. I make people comfortable, and I've been told I'm exceptionally easy to work with from a tracking and production aspect. I'm a pretty "musical" guy, with good time and good ears.

I'm not the best mix engineer out there, and I admire people who are exceptional at that. I am pretty good at the spatial aspects, and depth of field ("front to back"), but I sometimes struggle with making everything "fit" into the mix... I wish I was a magician with EQ, but I'm not... and that's an area that I continue to strive to improve on. Of course, I seem to do much better with the mixes when the arrangements are great, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself - which is another area I tend to have some problems with occasionally. ;)

No one can be great at everything, or "best" at everything... but we can all strive to be better. And IMO, that's important no matter who you are or how successful you've been. And IMO, the best records are a "team effort" anyway. And as long as I've contributed, and wasn't the weakest player on the team and didn't let the team down, I'm usually pretty happy... but as Steve Earle said, "I ain't ever satisfied". ;)

• Moderators

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I'm usually pretty happy... but as Steve Earle said, "I ain't
ever
satisfied".
;)

Gotta love a guy who quotes Steve Earle

I was born by the railroad tracks

Well the train whistle wailed and I wailed right back

Well papa left mama when I was quite young

He said now "One of these days you're gonna follow me son"

Woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I ain't ever satisfied

:thu:

• Members

This post describes me pretty well. An avid hobbyist trying to put together the best studio I can on a shoestring budget, doing it all myself.

I have things like SONAR 3 studio, Mindprint DI-Post, VTB-1, Joe Meek VC3, KRK st6's, SP B-1 mic, Oktavia MC 012's, Sansom compressor, sonitus plug ins, etc., lots bought on sale or ebay. I built a dedicated treated studio using all the info I could gather from places like Steve Klein sound and Ethan Wimmer's websites. I have spent way more on the studio than I've brought in, but I have brought in way more fun and satisfaction than could be put into a dollars sense.

I have no question that every step of the way could be done better by someone else - songwriting, playing, recording, mastering. But, 1) don't have the budget for any of that and 2) it's my hobby and a lot of fun, so what would the point be in getting someone else to do my hobby for me? :)

On a whim, I sent a recording to Recording Magazine and got a good review. This gave me the confidence to release a full CD (takes me about 2 years to finish a full length CD) with CD baby, and I continue to get sales on the CD and through digital distribution. 3 independent radio stations (on 3 continents) contacted me and play my music, and I am thrilled at this small modicum of success! I am now 99.99% done with my second CD, and looking to scrape up the funds for a release, and I'm thinking about my next project!

Archived