Smack..

• Members

So i got smack with my protools 7 upgrade. To my surprise i really like thing.

It's been great on everything i've tried it on.. very musical..

For drums i love the bite it can add.. the warm mode with distortion is great..

to tame peaks on a rhoads track the transparent mode sounded great..

so i did my plugin test.. all this is, is a instrument mixed with a stock plugin this time being comp/dyn 3 and then a mix with the plugin at hand SMACK..After A/Bing the smack plug sounded better..

i think people have had bad reviews do to it being sensitive.. i found it easy to over use... you really have to use your ears with this one and stop looking at the gain reduction meter.. on a snare for example with the meter jumping around -3 -6 reduction can sound really squished compared to the stock dyn3..

it's a musical comp not an exact science type of thing.. i like that it has a input and output control rather then a threshold and gain. like a LA3A but gives you the attack,release,ratio options that something like the 3A doesn't..

the 3 model modes are nice as well but i see myself using the warm and the different distortion settings the most.. I've been a big fan of the 1176 plug for drum tracks but i think SMACK will be my new first to grab. The 1176 still sounds better on the master drum buss. it's release character is a priceless sound to me.. has killed most unneeded verb for me..

So all in all i would say this SMACK thing is great musical compressor. For everything but mastering..

my 2 1/2 cents..

• Moderators

Originally posted by seaneldon

then you go looking for some blow. perfect for post-smack-depression, and only $10 more per bag.

Then you've got to get a 12 pack to calm down and that still doesn't do it and it's after 2am so you down what's left in your NyQuil bottle....

...then you die. I hate that part.

• Moderators

Originally posted by seaneldon

nah, after 12 beers i usually get thirsty for some cheap red wine.

and you can drink tabasco sauce to avoid dying by throwing up everwhere. all over your friend's basement.

Good call! Ya see? You can pick up a lot of good tips on the internet.:idea:

• Members

If you did the smack right you've already puked everything you've eaten for the last several days [often in a shotgun blast like manner... though I do know a guy who was deadly accurate with the whole projectile vomiting thing... saw him his a waste basket at like 4 feet while hardly missing a drop... damn impressive].

Archived