RODE NTK my first tube condensor mic

Originally posted by Walters9515

I have a shure 57 mic i been using, is the NTK louder since is 48volts condensor mic?

Careful about this... we're getting in to generalizations here... it's certainly common for a condenser mic - tube or solid state - to have a hotter output, or greater 'sensitivity than a dynamic mic, but it would depend on the tube and dynamic mic in question.
:)

I can't get the NTK louder it seems like the same volume as a shure 57 mic?

In my experience, the NTK has a much hotter output than a SM57 does, given the same distance from the same sound source.

It Should be louder than a dynamic mic?

Yes, it should. And if it's not, it's certainly possible that you have a bad tube. You can always take it back to the store you purchased it from and compare it to another one and see how it measures up, or replace the tube if you suspect that.

On my 2488 gain trim is set to the same if i turn it up more it distorts and the shure 57 it at the same gain trim so i didn't get any more headroom using a NTK it doesn't make it louder at all

and i can't pick up signals like picking up the room with the NTK

i though a condensor mic did this

Yes, condensers are generally more sensitive than, and usually chosen for use as room mics more than dynamic mics are.

However, your mic preamp might be your limiting factor here. I have never tried that Tascam 24 track Portastudio (TM), but at that price point, I wouldn't expect ultra-high quality mic preamps on it... and while I can't say this for certain, maybe it's the MIC PRE that is starting to distort, and that is overloading past a certain input level - regardless of whether that input level is coming off the '57 or the NTK.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if i have to set my 2488 track recorders input for phantom power?

Because i hear no difference between a NTK and a shure 57 its not louder its the same i must be doing something wrong or the power supply is not working or the tube in the mic is not working

its sounds like a dynamic mic to me

If the tube was completely dead in the NTK, you wouldn't hear much of anything. ;)

The top end - the high frequency extention - of a NTK goes way above that of a SM57, so they should sound considerably different for that reason alone, but IMO, there are significant sonic differences between those two mics besides just the high frequency response. For example, due to the lighter condenser diaphragm of the NTK (vs the SM57's heavier dynamic capsule) the NTK should "speak" a little more quickly, and have better transient response.

As far as phantom power, no, you do not need to use that (although it shouldn't really have hurt anything if you did) with your NTK. Phantom power is for powering the internal solid state mic preamp on a NON-TUBE condenser mic. Mics with seperate PSU's (power supply Units or "bricks") don't need phantom to power the internal electronics.

• Members

I'm not using a Mic pre is this my problem im going straight into my 2488 XLR

a hotter output,

Yes i thought i should have a hotter output if the tube is bad inside the mic does your NTK still work and sound like a dynamic 57 with a bad tube does a condensor mic turn into a dynamic 57 mic?

greater 'sensitivity than a dynamic mic,

Yes the sensitivity is the same as im dynamic mic

the NTK has a much hotter output than a SM57 does, given the same distance from the same sound source

Its the same as my 57 the same sound source i tried it all its exactally the same

What does the Mic preamp do for a tube condensor mic?

do u think this is my problem?

How do u change your Tube in your NTK because i can't find any screws on mine to even open it up to see if the tube is glowing or working inside?

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

:o
Glad you're getting something from it.

Well, I may not comprehend all of what you two are exchanging, but it does help in that I've been using Shure Sm-57 &58s for everything.

Its nice to know what others think about brands/types not usually talked about. It increases options, and thats a good thing.

• Members

Rode tests these things before they leave the factory, and the stock Sovtek it ships with actually provides more gain than many NOS tubes. I would suspect any number of problems (cables, user error) before I starting obsessing about the tube.

Sounds like it could be a monitoring problem to me. Turn off all the channel effects, keep the fader and monitor levels near their middle settings, and try comparing again. If that doesn't work, go back to the store and ask them to test the mic and/or give you a new one. You can't generally waltz into a store and buy a 6922, and even if you could, troubleshooting a brand new mic is stupid if you can simply get a new one.

I'm not using a Mic pre is this my problem im going straight into my 2488 XLR

The Tascam HAS mic preamps built in. They're probably nothing earth shaking, but they do amplify the signal from the mic... so while you may not have a dedicated / outboard / seperate mic preamp, you actually DO have mic preamps built into your recorder / mixer.

a hotter output,

Yes i thought i should have a hotter output if the tube is bad inside the mic does your NTK still work and sound like a dynamic 57 with a bad tube does a condensor mic turn into a dynamic 57 mic?

If the tube in an NTK (or any tube condenser mic) is marginal, the mic might still "work", but could sound "bad". If the tube is well and truly dead, it's not going to "sound or work like a dynamic mic" - you won't hear anything at all really.

A condenser mic (like the NTK) and a dynamic mic (like a SM57) operate completely differently, using completely different types of capsules. If / when the tube in a tube mic goes dead, it doesn't suddenly and magically transform itself into a dynamic mic. When a jet engine dies, it doesn't transform itself into a piston engine / propellor combo. Similar concepts.
;)

Its the same as my 57 the same sound source i tried it all its exactally the same

Then one of three things is likely:

1. Your mic is defective, or has a bad tube. Since you just purchased it, you should be able to take it back to the store and ask them to check it out, and get an exchange if there is something wrong.

2. The mic preamps on your board are so bad (and I don't know that for a fact, since I've never tried out one of those Tascam 24 track Portastudios(TM) ) that they make two drastically different mics "sound the same".

3. Your ears, and / or your monitoring system are not up to the task of either reproducing the differences sufficiently so that you can hear the sonic differences, or you just don't know what to listen for yet.

What does the Mic preamp do for a tube condensor mic?

do u think this is my problem?

Unlikely, but possible IMO.

A tube condenser mic, or a non tube condenser mic, or a ribbon mic, or a dynamic moving coil mic - a mic preamp does the same for all of these types of mics - it amplifies the signal coming out of the mic to a level suitable for recording to tape or disk.

How do u change your Tube in your NTK because i can't find any screws on mine to even open it up to see if the tube is glowing or working inside?

It's been a while since I've done it, but IIRC, you unscrew the round metal ring at the mottom of the mic, and then the mic body slides off of the frame. Inside you'll see the tube - a small glass bottle that is held in place (again, if I recall correctly) by a white nylon part. I don't recall if you have to remove that nylon holder or not... I think you do. But once that's out of the way, the tube just gets pulled out of its socket, and a new one put into its place. Be careful that you have the tube pins and the socket oriented properly to each other.

But at this point, I would NOT recommend opening up your NTK... if it's a new mic, and under warranty, let someone else deal with it and just exchange it for a working one.

• Members

Thanks phil for the information

The sound im looking for is when i set up 3 or 5 shure 57s at different distance and room mics and sing my vocals or acoustic guitars it gives me depth and room and space from all the mics i thought a tube condensor mic would do this all in one so i don't need my 3 to 5 shure 57's mics i could just use a condensor mic with really high output to pickup the room,space,depth do u know what i mean?

• Members

Thanks phil for the information

The sound im looking for is when i set up 3 or 5 shure 57s at different distance and room mics and sing my vocals or acoustic guitars it gives me depth and room and space from all the mics i thought a tube condensor mic would do this all in one so i don't need my 3 to 5 shure 57's mics i could just use a condensor mic with really high output to pickup the room,space,depth do u know what i mean?

Maybe then you should have posted this before. Maybe you should get an omnidirectional condenser.

• Members

There are many many of them, you just have to go to 7-11 and ask where the mics are. When the clerk has a funny look on his face, the code action is to grab about 400 candy bars, and only one soda, and run vigorously out of the store with them.

The clerk will then chase you out of the store, screaming "STOP STOP THIEF", that is your cue to then punch him square in his nose. He will then give you the information you need. Being as this is pretty top secret material, he may motion you to go behind the building, for the official information exchange.

This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds...........:D

Kiwiburger has told me that he will be there to make sure all goes as planned.

Walmart doesn't sell studio type microphones. Neither does 7-11. They're yanking your chain because they think you're yanking our chain. :) And you very well might be, but since this might be of interest / use to someone else, or even to you, I play along sometimes. :wave:

Omnidirectional ("omni" meaning "all") pickup pattern equipped microphones pick up sound equally from all directions. Cardioid ("heart shaped") pattern microphones, like both the NTK and the SM57, pick up sound best from the front (or in the case of the NTK, the side with the gold "dot" on it), and largely reject sound coming from the opposite side / back. As I said previously, most vocal recordings and acoustic guitar recordings are done with cardioid mics.

If you want more "room sound" - more reverb and reflections - from the acoustical space you're standing / performing in, you can definitely get that from a omnidirectional mic. However, if you like the low frequency "boost" you get when singing very close to one of your SM57's (that's called "proximity effect"), you will NOT get that when standing a couple of inches away from an omni mic... so you see, everything's a trade-off at some point. :) You can also get more "room" from your cardioid mics (like the SM57 and NTK) by simply placing them further away from the sound source... but again, once you get past about 6-12" of distance from the mic, proximity effect is non-existent. Another trade off... but IMO, your issue is probably with placement, or maybe your mic preamps more than it is with the mic. EXPERIMENT!!! Try the mic in several different locations, and stand various different distances from it and see what sounds best to you.

However, also remember that due to something called the inverse square law, sound level drops as an inverse of the square of the distance (I visualise Walters head exploding over that one... ;) ), which means that every time you double the distance, you're going to need an extra 5-6 dB of gain applied (from your mic preamps) to get the same level to the recorder as you had when you were standing twice as close to the mic... so you'll have to experiment with those preamp gain settings too as you do all of that... but there's no free lunch here. If you don't like the suggestions that we've given you, that's totally cool - but it then becomes your responsibility to experiment until you find something that satisfies YOUR tastes and gives you what you want to hear.

Good luck, and have fun with your experiments - let us know what you find that works and pleases you.

Oh, one more thing - if you really are dead set on an omni (I wouldn't really recommend that for what you're doing, but to each their own), then you should have plenty of choices available. Ask your local gear pimp for either an "omnidirectional condenser mic" or a "multipattern condenser mic" and tell them you have only $500 to spend... and then spend a couple of hours in the store experimenting with what they have to offer, and listening to their selection of mics in those categories before making your choice. :wave:

Archived