RODE NTK my first tube condensor mic

• Members

I need help buying a Tube condensor mic with a power supply

my budget is around $500 and less these are the mic im looking at what do u guys think about it

1.) RODE NTK i almost bought today but need your guys feedback please

2.) Marshall Electronics MXLV69ME tube condensor $299

These two are the ones i saw at the store what do u guys think i should choose and some feedback why?

RODE K2 is multi pattern but its $700

SM Pro Audio MC03 tube microphone $299

Samson Condensor mics what u guys think about Samson?

AKG tube mics which ones ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Walter,

That's a tough one. I've heard really great things about both those mics. I've used the NTK once and was very happy with it. Is there any way you can audition both to see which one sounds best and then return the other one?

It largely depends on your taste and kind of music you are recording.

What kind of music are you recording, anyway?

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

RODE SM-1 shockmount cost like $60-$90 do i need a shockmount for a condensor mic?

What kind of Mic Stand do i need for a Condensor mic?

what mic stand is good but i don't want to spend that much money on a mic stand

If there are vibrations that affect the mic you should consider a shock mount.

Any mic stand sturdy enough to hold the mic will do.

Buy used.

So - what kind of music are you recording?

What kinds of voices are you recording?

Is this your first mic stand?

What other kinds of mics do you have?

What are you recording on?

Hey Walters...

The NTK is among the very best of the "affordable" tube condenser mics IMO. I own one, and I have used it on a lot of different sound sources over the years. They're good mics. :thu:

As far as a stand, the NTK - or any tube mic - is fairly heavy, so a solid stand is really a "must have" accessory for it. I would suggest a good boom stand, with a good counterweight on it and tripod legs or heavy triangular base for stability.

The shockmount is a good option to have. It can help prevent / reduce stand borne vibrations from reaching the mic. The mic comes with a basic clip, but if you can afford to also get the shockmount, I think that's a good idea.

• Members

But the NTK is not variable pattern would this be ok to record my rock vocals and acoustic guitars because its only one pattern?

What stand do u have phil ? im looking under $100 for a good condensor mic stand

So i don' t really need the shock mount its not a must

Is the RODE NTK better than the Marshall?

Whats the main difference between these two?

What kind of tube brand do u put in your Tube condener mics?

its a 12AX7 tube

What kind of Mic Cable you use with your tube condencer mic?

• Members

What kind of music are you recording?

What kinds of voices are you recording?

Is this your first mic stand? Do you have other mic stands?

What other kinds of mics do you have?

What are you recording on?

What kind of cables do you already have?

What other things would you record? Do you need a variable pattern? What kind of patterns do you want?

What kind of sound in the microphone are you looking for?

I called you "Walter" in the first post.

But it's "Walters". That either means that your name is "Walters" or that there is more than one Walter. Which is it?

• Members

What kind of music are you recording? rock jimi hendrix

What kinds of voices are you recording? rock vocals not screaming just singing soft

Is this your first mic stand? yes for a condensor mic it would be

Do you have other mic stands? yes a 57 shure mic stand just a regular mic stand

What other kinds of mics do you have? a 57 and 58

What are you recording on? Tastam digital 2488

What kind of cables do you already have? just cheap mic cables

can't even find the names on them

What other things would you record? guitar amps marshall, acoustic guitar, my bass , electronic guitars, vocals

Do you need a variable pattern? I don't know u tell me this is my first tube condencer mic i never touched or owned on just a 57 and 58

What kind of patterns do you want? would like more options

What kind of sound in the microphone are you looking for?

A nice recording mic to give me more depth than flat, pickin up the room more and making my vocals sound more professional than a flat 57 mic with no depth or space

• Members

An NTK is my first and only tube mic. I like it a lot - although I haven't used it lately because I need to replace the tube. It makes a lot of intermittent hissing noise, like it does normally while warming up.

Tube mic's are a bit of a nuisance, but there is something about the sound that makes it worthwhile.

It's possible it may not suit your voice - see if you can try some first. Even if you take your recorder to the shop and record some tests.

Probably not my first choice for acoustic guitars, but it will be better than the SM57.

But the NTK is not variable pattern would this be ok to record my rock vocals and acoustic guitars because its only one pattern?

Most rock vocals are recorded with a cardioid pattern - even when using a multiple pattern mic, so no worries there.
:)
Ditto that for acoustic guitar tracking. While multiple patterns is a nice feature, you shouldn't be too concerned about the lack of that for the tasks you mentioned.

What stand do u have phil ? im looking under $100 for a good condensor mic stand

Then something like
this
would probably be fine for your needs.

So i don' t really need the shock mount its not a must

You might want to rethink that. A stand doesn't give you isolation - only a good shockmount will do that. But then again, you can always add that later if you feel you need it.

Is the RODE NTK better than the Marshall?

IMO, yes. But "better" depends on the sound source and your personal preferences.

Whats the main difference between these two?

Sound and build quality.

What kind of tube brand do u put in your Tube condener mics?

its a 12AX7 tube

Vintage Mullards, Telefunkens, JAN-Phillips... it depends on which tube mic we're talking about.
;)

What kind of Mic Cable you use with your tube condencer mic?

You'll actually need TWO cables with a tube mic. The first one should be included with the mic purchase. It's going to be a multiple conductor cable that will attach to the mic itself and connect it to the mic's power supply "brick". The second cable will be a standard XLR mic cable that you will use to connect from the tube mic's power supply to the mic preamp.

As far as cables, I'm not all
that
picky really. I made a lot of my own cables, although I do have a few "ready made" cables too. Any decent cable brand should be fine - Belden, Canare, Mogami... I also bought a BLUE Cranberry cable on a whim once, and it sounds fine too.

What does a Tube mic condensor do different than a regular NON tube condensor?

It seem that the tube inside the mic Rounds off the edges and gives compression to the input signal

What else does it do since it has a Tube in the mic?

The designs are basically the same insofar as the diaphragms. A tube mic and a FET mic differ in the way that the (extremely low) output level of the condenser diaphragm is amplified up to "mic level". All condensers have such a preamp built into them because condensers have such low output levels coming off the capsule. That internal amplification shouldn't be confused with a mic preamp, which you're still going to need to use. In a tube mic, a tube preamp is used inside the mic, and in a FET mic, a solid state circuit is used instead.

Sonically, the differences can vary from mic model to mic model. There are FET mics with a "round" sound (a Neumnn U47 FET comes to mind), and tube mics that are very flat and accurate sounding - just as it's also possible to have a relatively uncolored tube based mic preamp or a highly colored solid state mic preamp, such as the Neve 1073. It just comes down to how they were designed.

• Members

The NTK is IMHO the best LDC you can buy for under $1000. It is an amazing vocal mic, great for electric or acoustic guitar, superb as a drum room mic, it's uses are endless.

Get the shockmount they are not that expensive, and well worth it. I got two for under $85 from Parsons Audio.

AFA tubes, I recently retubed both of ours with Jans, and they sound excellent.

And good quality cable works fine. Since the NTK (as to almost all tube mics) has an external PSU, you connect to that, not the mic. There is a special cable that comes with the NTK to connect it to the PSU.

You absolutely will not regret an NTK purchase. We have two, and they are being used in almost every session.

Should i buy the NTK or the K2 because the K2 has the multi pattern what should i do ?

Walters, I have not spent enough "quality time" with the K2 to give you a fair assessment of it, but what little I've heard, and the reviews of others lead me to think that it's an improvement on, and somewhat an upgrade to, the NTK. The NTK's a fine mic, and a great bargain... but if you want the multipattern features, then you can certainly consider the K2...

• Members

I have a shure 57 mic i been using, is the NTK louder since is 48volts condensor mic?

I can't get the NTK louder it seems like the same volume as a shure 57 mic?

It Should be louder than a dynamic mic?

On my 2488 gain trim is set to the same if i turn it up more it distorts and the shure 57 it at the same gain trim so i didn't get any more headroom using a NTK it doesn't make it louder at all

and i can't pick up signals like picking up the room with the NTK

i though a condensor mic did this

• Members

I'm wondering if i have to set my 2488 track recorders input for phantom power?

Because i hear no difference between a NTK and a shure 57 its not louder its the same i must be doing something wrong or the power supply is not working or the tube in the mic is not working

its sounds like a dynamic mic to me

• Members

the plate voltage of the NTK

It doesn't say in my NTK manual

How would i know if the tube inside the mic is working?

How would i know if the power supply is turning on the +48 phatom power?

Because right now the NTK is just a dynamic mic im sure and its not turning on either the tube or power supply +48 volts

Its not that much different than my shure 57 its not louder or more head room at all so something must not be working

• Members

Yes i did i brought it but i didn't know if its working right the power supply and the tube in the mic because it sounds to me just like the shure 57 its really not that much difference i thought it would give me more picking up room sounds with my vocals the saleman at the store told me NTK can pick up outside noise because i live in a apt. and not in a studio so he said this mic NTK would pickup people walking outside on the street and cars going by my house and its nothing like that at all its just the same as my shure 57 same gain trim same recording on my vocals, acoustic guitars so im wondering is this it or is some thing broken?

Archived