through-zero doppler

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

What kind of implementations can we do with leslie motors?

Well the most obvious implementation with a leslie motor is to spin rotating speakers and drums, but I suppose they'd be suitable for any number of applications requiring similar torque, etc -- maybe powering an ice cream churn for instance

• Members

This is easy thats basic

ah, well it did seem like you needed the basic answer, you did have to ask what motor control engineering was after all...

i was talking about more functionality and implementating it in the micro-controller

I

suppose it depends on how good you are with motor control engineering!

to do other things besides just spin the motor

Well, it's all going to be spinning the motor..I mean that's what the little guy is there for...spinning

But it really still comes down to how good you are with motor control engineering!

how good you are with motor control engineering?

• Members

Chad would recieve a 120 volt DC half-wave electroshock.

Depends on the thickness and temperature of the ice cream.

Walters you need to look into how to orchestrate a parallel combination of variable load stepping motors controlled by a single PIC chip. Morepaul can probably tell you more on the PIC microcontroller. I've designed several circuits to handle the transient of these things, as the very nature of them is sporadic at best.
Messing around with the leslie motors can be very dangerous. Their low RPM produce massive amounts of torque which have been known to rip the limbs off of several curious folks.
Moreso, with the PIC microcontroller you will be able to link up to 1024 devices using a serial drive connection. More leslie cabinets, DMX lighting boxes (with conversion of course), and anything MIDI. Be careful with the MIDI connections as these can create grounds loops.

• Members

What can i do with PIC microcontroller?
When programming it what kind of motor rotations can i get?

what are 1024 devices? you mean the midi breakout boxes

The regular leslie motors are either DC or AC whats the difference?

With PWM motors the PIC can send out PWM pulses and duty cycles to changes the rotations and curves?

Can i send a triangle or square wave to a stepper motor?

How can i make the Leslie motor oscillate different? or rotate different?

• Members

Well, it comes down to how good you are with motor control engineering!

how good you are with motor control engineering?

• Members

what are 1024 devices? you mean the midi breakout boxes

The regular leslie motors are either DC or AC whats the difference?

With PWM motors the PIC can send out PWM pulses and duty cycles to changes the rotations and curves?

Can i send a triangle or square wave to a stepper motor?

How can i make the Leslie motor oscillate different? or rotate different?

The PIC microcontroller is good for controlling almost anything. By using several transitory components with the right conditions you can do almost anything. I've daisdychained several of these together before for results that will amaze you!!!

1024 is the limit of devices you can link to the PIC controller's serial drive. Please don't touch terminal 3 to the motor's ground, this can be fatal, as there is usually a 50 amp circuit breaker that will not blow to save your life.

The duty cycle MUST NOT BE TAMPERED WITH. I caution you because if there is an impedance of less than i50, you can create a backfeed into the PIC. Thats just a no no, and anybody with controls engineering skills would scold a person for it.

Depending on the stepper motors, triangle and square waves can harm the coils. Be sure to measure the motor's inductance and verify it with the spec sheet before taking this approach.

Few people have used 3-speed transmissions to change the output speed and direction of leslie motors. Theres nothing quite like shifting into 2nd during a song. You can hear the lower cab just take off!

Good luck with your experimentation Walters.

I've got a few books on the serial drive if you're interested.

• Members

Thanks zuul777 for the help

How can i input a Square or Triangle wavefrom into a motor?
which motor will recieve a input like this?

I'm trying to get different rotations and oscillations cycles out of a leslie motor how can i get differet rotations and oscillation cycles?

What about single phase and 3 phase motor do they work on phase shift input signals?

• Members

I'm trying to get different rotations and oscillations cycles out of a leslie motor how can i get differet rotations and oscillation cycles?

What about single phase and 3 phase motor do they work on phase shift input signals?

• Members

• Members

• Members

oooh, getting pretty trolly there - even for the Walters character!

I'd watch that dude!

It'd probably help if you gave us an idea of how good you are with motor control engineering

How good are you at motor contrl engineering?

• Members

If you want 3-phase motors, you will need 3-phase supply.

Solution #1: 3-phase gasoline generator. Good luck finding one. Might have to build it
Solution #2: 3-phase converter. Using a series of motors and generators, you can achieve a 3-phase power source by using your 120/240 mains at home.
Solution #3: Tell your power company. Theres nothing wrong with having 208/480 400A feed in your basement.

Can I ask you walters why you are interested in 3-phase motors so much? Besides a smoother running device, you'll just be complicating your controller, and you will need 3 PIC microcontrollers!!!!!

Square and triangle waveforms can be generated by using a D108 chip in overdrive configurations. Connect pins 1, 2, and 8 together for this effect. Switch off pins 1 and 3 to change waveforms. Feed this into your PIC and there you go.

Your oscillation can be changed by the voltage going into the motor. I would keep this under 12KV.

• Members

These things happen

It'd probably help if you gave us an idea of how good you are with motor control engineering

How good are you at motor control engineering?

• Members

i need some Motor Theory first

DC motors?
AC motors?
Single Phase motors?
3 phase motors?
PWM motor?
Phase modulation motors?
stepper motors?

Whats the Difference between all these motors?
Do they all have different rotation cycles?

I'm looking for a motor that has a input so i can input a triangle waveform or square waveform to change the rotation cycles
which motor would do this please?

2 gear motors: slow and fast
acceleration or deceleration depends on the R/C time constant Timer inside the leslie cabinet and motor most motors just have 2 speeds
adding a R/C timer so when u switch from the slow motor to the fast motor the R/C timer is in the middle hooked up to the voltage line and will delay or ramp the voltage to give a slope.

• Members

Walters, how good are you with motor controlling? On a scale of 1-19 plz.

What is motor controlling mean? like program a Pic microcontroller using C++ or basic?

Connected several motors to the leslie cab with phase modulation can you?

How can u hook up 7 motors to One leslie cab?
What motor has 7 motors stacked?

• Members

i need some Motor Theory first

DC motors?

AC motors?

Single Phase motors?

3 phase motors?

PWM motor?

Phase modulation motors?

stepper motors?

Whats the Difference between all these motors?

Do they all have different rotation cycles?

I'm looking for a motor that has a input so i can input a triangle waveform or square waveform to change the rotation cycles

which motor would do this please?

2 gear motors: slow and fast

acceleration or deceleration depends on the R/C time constant Timer inside the leslie cabinet and motor most motors just have 2 speeds

adding a R/C timer so when u switch from the slow motor to the fast motor the R/C timer is in the middle hooked up to the voltage line and will delay or ramp the voltage to give a slope.

Before you can get into that we need to know how good you are with motor control on a 1-19 scale

It would probably be most helpful if you answer for both

You, the actor

and you the Walters character you play

• Members

Walters, how good are you with motor controlling? On a scale of 1-19 plz.

What is motor controlling mean? like program a Pic microcontroller using C++ or basic?

well it depends on how good you are with motor control engineering

how goo are you with motor control engineering?

Archived