through-zero doppler

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An infamous troll - possibly the same person as Walters.

Despite indications that Walters has old-school knowledge about recording which he chooses to use maliciously ... threads like this leave me in no doubt that he is damaged goods.

Maybe it was bad '60's acid?

Sorry Walters/Wendy/Malissa - i'm doing you no good by indulging your disease. It's not funny anymore. I'm sorry for you - I hope you get some help.

• Members

Don't go all pathetic. For the amount of time you spend wasting good peoples time with stupid questions, you could be getting yourself a real education in recording - if that's what you really want.

I realise you don't have much money, but that's never the point. You can do a lot with what you have (assuming you actually have what you say you have - although you seem fairly consistent so I sort of believe you most of the time).

Assuming you are the same person all the time (and not a bunch of different people using your signon) - there is a lot of variability in your posts. Sometimes you seem connected and make some sense and show signs of spelling and grammar. Other times you appear to be a 10yr old child with no clues. Is it multiple personality disorder? Or a bad acid trip?

Anyway - when I say take you pills, i'm serious.

So whatever it is - conspiracy, lunacy, delinquency, redundancy - you need to sort yourself out, for your own sake.

You just aren't funny. Sometimes you are a catalyst for some funny stuff, but it's basically people laughing at you - not with you.

I thought you were growing up a couple of days ago, but now you are right back to you old objectionable self.

See ya - wouldn't wanna be ya :wave:

• Members

How do u get a leslie to doppler through zero?

How do i get my leslie to doppler negative rotations?

Do i put the speaker out of phase ? to get zero through?

Doppler zero through:

Leslie#1 speaker in phase

Leslie#2 sperak out of phase with a Fixed time delay

would this get Negative doppler delay times?

Originally posted by Zooey

The trick is to get the rotor spinning at the speed of light so that the soundwaves travel backwards through time and cross through themselves.

Now THAT'S a creative answer! :thu: It's wrong, but it's still good somehow. ;)

3.4. Doppler motion effect

The Doppler motion effect is commonly heard in nature as a pitch change when a speeding object passes a listener. When the object is approaching the listener, the pitch is higher than the resting pitch of the object. This is because in the time it takes the object to emit one waveform the object has moved closer to the listener, and thus the emitted wavelength is shorter than normal. Similarly, when the object is retreating from the listener, the pitch is lower than the resting pitch, because the emitted wavelengths are longer than normal.

Simulating the Doppler effect is important for generating realistic motion effects. The Doppler motion effect is particularly easy to simulate using a variable delay line. The amount of delay is proportional to the distance between the listener and the sound object. Thus, the delay line effectively simulates the propagation of sound through the air. When the distance changes, so does the length of the delay, and the pitch also changes as it would in nature. Care must be taken that to change the delays smoothly and continuously to avoid distortion and clicks.

Source.

PS Walters, Google searches can be your friend... have you ever tried it? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

The trick is to get the rotor spinning at the speed of light so that the soundwaves travel backwards through time and cross through themselves.

Yes, you are "warping " the time-space continuum when you do this. It sounds totally awesome, but you might find yourself back last week or in next week ( depending on possible phasing issues).

It's not adviseable if you live within 100 miles of a military base or installation of any kind that has Doppler radar. They get VERY pissed off if you mess with the spatial relationships of the space-time continuum. You cause some $2 Billion plane to crash or vanish because of this and you and your Leslie might end up in Gitmo for 112 years .

Not to mention the DC Offset that can result.

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

How do u get a leslie to doppler through zero?

"Doppler" isn't a verb. It's either a verb or an adjective:

Doppler effect

The Doppler effect, named after Christian Andreas Doppler, is the apparent change in frequency or wavelength of a wave that is perceived by an observer moving relative to the source of the waves. For waves, such as sound waves, that propagate in a wave medium, the velocity of the observer and the source are reckoned relative to the medium in which the waves are transmitted. The total Doppler effect may therefore result from either motion of the source or motion of the observer. Each of these effects is analyzed separately.

Doppler first proposed the effect in 1842 in the monograph

• Members

It's actually easier than that. If you want the doppler effect in reverse, you simply have to reverse the direction of the motor.

The doppler effect is simply the addition or subtraction of relative velocity to the speed of sound. It's nowhere near the speed of light, so we don't have to go relativisitic or invoke time travel.

The 'zero point' of a doppler effect is when the point source is directly facing the microphone, and at the point in time the perceived frequency is the same as the source frequency.

As the horn swings away from the mic, the soundwaves are stretched and the pitch is lowered. As it swings back towards the mic, the waves are compressed and the pitch increases.

The doppler effect is a bit of an in-joke with Walters. He's had this explained millions of times, and if he doesn't understand it know, he never will.

I still don't know if he's an older burnt-out engineer poking fun at us ... or just a sad case. Either way, it's a sad case.

• Members

If you want the doppler effect in reverse, you simply have to reverse the direction of the motor.

Thats not going to do anything kiwi its going to sound the same it doesn't matter which direction the motor spins

Reversing the direction of the motor is not going to give you "Negative doppler time"

TZF= negative delay time,Zero point, positive delay time

Doppler TZF= negative doppler , Zero point, Positive doppler time

Zero point is when the motor is in the middle and have "Braked or stop"

• Members

You are in Negative Walter I.Q. Warp Theory there. Back up a bit. Time to take off your smarty pants.

I agree that Zero point is the same as when the horn/rotor is stationary. A 1kHz tone sounding from the horn/rotor will be percieved as a 1kHz tone by your ear/mic.

The Doppler effect is all about frequency changes. Don't confuse this with Flanging, which is about phase relationship changes. Through-zero flanging is a totally different thing, and that does involve a negative time relationship.

But the Doppler effect is about direct/dry sound. (And obviously isn't the only thing going on in a rotary speaker, but you are asking about Doppler specifically).

You asked about how to reverse the Doppler effect. How do you reverse a truck? You just make it go back the other way.

A pitch change can only be higher or lower - there is no other option. Reversing the direction of motion reverses the Doppler effect.

For example: you could record the sound of a car horn approaching, and you would get the classic rising pitch effect. Then, if you played that sound through a speaker on the car, and accelerated away at exactly the same speed, the pitch would return to normal.

But you knew that.

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

how can reversing the motor direction make so much difference in the pitch? I don't get that

IT seems that it would be the same thing what makes it different from the way the motor director spins?

Seems motor direction has a direct correlation sound output in backwards or pitch differentials. MAY much so that pitch affected yes?

• Members

Whatever kiwi thats not true

Pitch goes up, pitch goes down, pitch goes up, pitch goes down ...

""reverse the motor""

Pitch goes down, pitch goes up, pitch goes down, pitch goes up .

The pitch doesn't go down because its going the other way

Does it matter if i drive my car in reverse down the street as if i drive my car forward down the street to get from point A to point B no it doesn't , do my tires on my car make a different sound? NO. does my car radio Pitch does UP if i pass the listener NO the sound still goes DOWN in pitch because thats the doppler effect when the sound passes the listener the pitch goes down. So your saying if the Ice Cream Trunk passes me the music box toon's pitch goes "down" if i wave my hand to catch my ice cream

man and he reverses his ice cream trunk and passes me in reverse the pitch goes 'UP" :bor:

Archived