The Brick Preamp

• Members

Groove Tubes Introduces "The Brick" at AES

what do u guys think about The brick as a preamp?

I have the NTK mic but the salesman told me i need "The Brick" to make the NTK get the bandwidth,impedance

THe NTK is 100ohm impedance output

My midibuddy preamp is 1K impedance Input

so there is a impedance mismatching problem

THe saleman said the Brick is really good and will make the NTK or a shure 57 sound 10 times better is this true and why how can a preamp do so much of a change?

The other preamp is the Blue tube stereo or mono version

Which should i buy the Blue tube or the Brick?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

why does having a good preamp make so much difference with a condensor mic?

The groove tube brick is suppost to make a condensor mic sound really really good but why i don't get its just a preamp adjust gain

Because adding gain can add distortion.

• Members

so whats your point?

I don't care that u distort your music or your brain thoughts

A mic pre doesn't distort if u don't overload your next input.

I'm taking about mic pre bandwidth and frequency response and headroom not distortion

The brink was more DB gain for more Headroom to NOT to the distort

• Members

I'll pass, i need a preamp and A/D convert for my situation with my NTK to work well

1.) I need to know the level shifting of -10 and +4 of every output and input

2.) The preamps impedances from NTK to preamp to A/D converter

3.) a Good A/D converter for my tascam 2488

If you claim u have studio this is like babys food for u then u should be spitting this information out why this preamp or A/D converter would work well and why the impendance and level shifting and Db headroom levels frequency responce and bandwidth

But you just sit there and be annoy and bored :bor:

• Members

"so whats your point?"

"I don't care that u distort your music or your brain thoughts"

A mic pre doesn't distort if u don't overload your next input.

I'm taking about mic pre bandwidth and frequency response and headroom not distortion

The brink was more DB gain for more Headroom to NOT to the distort

You asked a question and I gave you a serious answer. No {censored} a mic pre doesnt distort, you asked about GAIN, and that CAN distort if you push it to much. If you dont understand the most basic concepts about what you are talking about, then dont ask.

I didnt insult you at all, but once again, there you are with the smart mouth.

Stop being a snot, or stop asking questions.

"The brink was more DB gain for more Headroom to NOT to the distort" Whats with this?

• Members

I'll pass, i need a preamp and A/D convert for my situation with my NTK to work well

Walters...I think you're missing out on a great experience that UstadKhanAli has offered.

I've got a coupla GT Bricks myself and use them to interface between tape decks and a dbx386 when transcribing to my DAW. They sound mighty fine to me - utilize nice plate bias voltages and have a great noise floor. I haven't gotten into the harmonic distortion characteristics much yet other than to say they sound sweet to me.

The idea of taking 2 preamps home for testing from your local Guitar Center and returning 1 of them within the 30-day period is a really great one. You can get a GT Brick for between $350 and $375 from them depending on how fast you can talk...maybe cheaper if you bring in some of your forum posts! :D

• Members

Well ok - so you don't want to visit a studio and compare pres, you don't want to save money for an acceptable pre amp and you don't feel you can talk fast enough to get your money back when you return an item to a store...we have us a real conundrum here fellas

...so how 'bout them Yankees, eh? :D

• Members

Walters - it's Christmas, and that's not a bad question from you - so here is my answer for you (no dog food, no parking lot answers, no Guitar Centre advice)

The NTK - compared to your Shure SM57 - is a hot, bright mic, that pickups up a lot of room sound, even though it doesn't have omni or figure 8 patterns.

You don't have an impedance mismatch. An input impedance approximately 10 times the output impedance of the driving source is a good thing. I have preamps with much higher input impedance that sound great.

The thing is - the NTK sound great and doesn't require a lot of gain from the preamp, so it makes even cheap preamps sound good.

In an ideal world, a mic preamp would be a "straight wire with gain". It would just boost the volume, and nothing else. But in the real world, a preamp always does something else. It adds noise (hopefully not too much) and it distorts the wave. You might want absolute minimum distortion, or - you might want distortion that sounds good. I'm not talking fuzz box here - just changing the signal noticably.

I don't have a GT Brick - but i'd like one. But you can expect the Brick to color the sound - giving it some tube love. That means distortion - the good kind.

You don't need one yet. You probably don't need a tube mic yet either, because you don't seem to be able to hear things for yourself yet.

Have you bought any books on recording basics yet? That would save you a lot of embarassement.

Originally posted by alcohol

How would the Brick compare to a Neve Portico or the Great River pres?

Apples vs oranges really. The Brick is a high plate voltage, multi-tube, transformer balanced device... the other two are solid state, Class A transistor devices. When you say "Great River", I'll assume you mean the NV series... which is transformer balanced (as is, IIRC, the Portico too), although some GR preamps are transformerless.

The GR and Portico are specifically mic preamps, while the Brick grew out of the GT ViPRE and Ditto... I don't have all the details, but it uses some of the ViPRE technology / design, while the Ditto was probably the source for the housing / enclosure concept, as well as the DI side of things, with the mic pre being added to the basic Ditto concept to provide more flexibility / functionality.

The Brick isn't as "full featured" as some would want in a mic pre - there's no HPF, no EQ, no pad... and if those are features you MUST have in a pre, then you may wish to look elsewhere. For me, I don't see that as a major drawbacks. First of all, at its price point, there are really only one or two other mic preamps that I consider to be really as sonically "special" as The Brick, and none of those are tube units. The Brick has a chewy, thick, yet well defined tone that I really like, and which compliments my other mic preamps quite well. It has become my "go to" bass DI, and it also works well on other sources - again, as long as you don't need that pad or HPF (you can pad / HPF at the mic if it has those switches, right? ;) ), and since I tend to do little EQ'ing when tracking, I really don't miss that all that much.

I have not spent any time on a Portico... maybe one of these days I can get Ken to bring his over for some playtime. ;) But the GR stuff is top notch and first rate. Considering Sir Rupert's reputation and my experience with his previous designs, I would expect to have similar thoughts about the Portico when I get a chance to hear it.

Archived