Enough Walters, Phil please cut him off...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

dude your thinking way to much about this

It's part of coaching!

you're too close to the problem as you are invested in the character and in the middle of the performance -- to the one 'in the action', the juices are flowing and there is that sort of reactive behavior.

that's exactly what a coach does -- compliments that with a cooler head and gives "thinking" feedback, letting the "player" know what the play is from an outer perspective.

its really plain and simple normal people ask questions and get answers its really easy and not hard

Absolutely! and we give the honest answers!

including honest and simple answers on the Walters character/performance

• Members

Is this a honest answer?

In today's increasingly mechanized world, where the bottom line so often takes precedence over human considerations, the working man never knows how long it will be before he is replaced by a machine. It's no secret that some in management at Gillian's Fish Products, where I work, feel that automation would improve productivity and quality control. But what they don't understand is that they will lose something far more valuable if employees are let go: the resentful human touch.

No mere machine can replace the embittered alienation of the flesh-and-blood worker. Sure, machines may be able to gut whitefish in the blink of an eye. But would they be able, as I am, to despise and bemoan their miserable lot? To seethe with the unbearable knowledge that this will be their sole livelihood until the day they die? To identify with the glassy, sightless eye of every fish as their sharp blades spill the innards out?

Whether it's scaling each cod and struggling to suppress the repulsion and loathing within, or de-boning each haddock while fighting the impulse to drop the knife and walk out of the factory as far as your legs can take you, such sentiments could never be reproduced in mechanical form. Those special qualities can only come from one source: exhausted men and women forced to feed and clothe their children on a pauper's wages.

Replacing us with machines will increase profits, but can a dollar value be placed on the labors of someone who drinks before his morning shift just to get through the day? And when the machines are sitting in six-inch-deep gore at day's end, will they go home and take out their frustrations on family members and loved ones? I think not.

A machine can only contain wires, diodes, and gears, not the living, breathing sum of life's screw-ups, heartbreaks, and regrets.

You can install machines, but you can't install the permanent smell of fish in your nostrils, or hands that have been roughened, swollen, and discolored from years of fish dismemberment. You can build a machine to replicate the same repetitive motions we perform five backbreaking days a week, but all the engineers in the world cannot build a machine that will repeatedly bang its head on a locker, silent tears streaming down its metal cheeks, as it contemplates its wasted life.

Can a machine fume about years without a decent vacation, or having to pay exorbitant rent in a company-owned tenement near the factory? This, surely, only a man can do

• Members
Originally posted by Walters9515

Is this a honest answer?

In today's increasingly mechanized world, where the bottom line so often takes precedence over human considerations, the working man never knows how long it will be before he is replaced by a machine. It's no secret that some in management at Gillian's Fish Products, where I work, feel that automation would improve productivity and quality control. But what they don't understand is that they will lose something far more valuable if employees are let go: the resentful human touch.

No mere machine can replace the embittered alienation of the flesh-and-blood worker. Sure, machines may be able to gut whitefish in the blink of an eye. But would they be able, as I am, to despise and bemoan their miserable lot? To seethe with the unbearable knowledge that this will be their sole livelihood until the day they die? To identify with the glassy, sightless eye of every fish as their sharp blades spill the innards out?

Whether it's scaling each cod and struggling to suppress the repulsion and loathing within, or de-boning each haddock while fighting the impulse to drop the knife and walk out of the factory as far as your legs can take you, such sentiments could never be reproduced in mechanical form. Those special qualities can only come from one source: exhausted men and women forced to feed and clothe their children on a pauper's wages.

Replacing us with machines will increase profits, but can a dollar value be placed on the labors of someone who drinks before his morning shift just to get through the day? And when the machines are sitting in six-inch-deep gore at day's end, will they go home and take out their frustrations on family members and loved ones? I think not.

A machine can only contain wires, diodes, and gears, not the living, breathing sum of life's screw-ups, heartbreaks, and regrets.

You can install machines, but you can't install the permanent smell of fish in your nostrils, or hands that have been roughened, swollen, and discolored from years of fish dismemberment. You can build a machine to replicate the same repetitive motions we perform five backbreaking days a week, but all the engineers in the world cannot build a machine that will repeatedly bang its head on a locker, silent tears streaming down its metal cheeks, as it contemplates its wasted life.

Can a machine fume about years without a decent vacation, or having to pay exorbitant rent in a company-owned tenement near the factory? This, surely, only a man can do

• Members
Originally posted by Walters9515
Is this a honest answer?

Depends on the question.

I do think it's pretty honest in that it's a demonstration/comment on how to use non sequiter to adjust comic rhythm...and, if done with care, you can do that without breaking character

So yeah, I think it could *really* valuable to improving the Walters character!

To be honest, I'm pretty impressed - I think it is VERY good implied advice and in that is a good honest answer to a question you need to ask (or rather that you are by implication)

It's hard, it really is -- to have a performance you've invested so heavily in to kind of bomb. You see that in hack comedy aall the time...the bit is dying and the performer continues robotically on with the bit using the rehearsed delivery even if it ain't working...trying getting a ittle more flexibe and break rhythm

• Members

Originally posted by Chao

That's insulting and not at all true. His critics are nowhere near as rude and ignorant as the character, we have very legitimate reasons to complain. He's taking advantage of the good nature of any helpful community he can post his unfathomable crap to.

My opinion on why more experienced techs may have more tolerance and patience with our little disturbed individual-

Those without the same weight of professional experience as some of our more prolific posters have more recently gone through the trouble to read up on all these subjects, to ask the pertinent questions, and to teach ourselves. It's the expectation to be spoon-fed every single answer without making efforts in good faith to research that drives the amateur crowd into fits. Well, that and the poor sense of humor and lack of viable information to glean out of his threads.

I think this post sums up well his disrespect for HC and every other forum that he hasn't been banned from yet-He's here entirely to waste our time, not to
learn

Well, I think we may have different expectations about this forum.

Walters is part of the landscape

• Members

To extend the "rocks in the water" analogy...sometimes the rock is in the shipping lane and that's just plain a hassle as opposed to interesting...those rocks get removed (not to mention the use of bouys, etc) to aid traffic while the interesting surf rocks get left

I think the problem with Walters as jester is he's just not very good at it.

• Members
Originally posted by MorePaul

To extend the "rocks in the water" analogy...sometimes the rock is in the shipping lane and that's just plain a hassle as opposed to interesting...those rocks get removed (not to mention the use of bouys, etc) to aid traffic while the interesting surf rocks get left

I think the problem with Walters as jester is he's just not very good at it.

So true. I teach improv and guerilla theatre and there is a serious lack of continuity in this character. The suspension of disbelief is lost on the audience.
Alas, you give them eyes, yet they cannot see :(

• Members

To extend the "rocks in the water" analogy...sometimes the rock is in the shipping lane and that's just plain a hassle as opposed to interesting...those rocks get removed (not to mention the use of bouys, etc) to aid traffic while the interesting surf rocks get left.

Hence the moderator's judgement as to which rocks to remove, and the grass roots movement to save this particular rock!

-PL&B

• Members
Originally posted by Brittanylips

It keeps the advice-giver humble.

-PL&B

Why the hell does the attempt to clarify a situation through an honest attempt to assist lead to a level of "haughtiness" and "humbleness" that deserves rude treament and gives license for further trolling?

I know I'm coming off as an apologist for Waters, and I don't mean to. But who are we to say that his guerilla theater is bad when just look at what it has spawned. Seems pretty successful to me.

He's good at appearing either severely autistic or retarded in some manner, and certainly has social issues regardless of whether the act's real or not. If it was more funny and less disturbed-sounding or pity-inducing, i suppose it'd be easier to tolerate.

• Members
Originally posted by EerieDreamZ

I teach improv and guerilla theatre and there is a serious lack of continuity in this character. The suspension of disbelief is lost on the audience.

Alas, you give them eyes, yet they cannot see
:(

I know I'm coming off as an apologist for Waters, and I don't mean to. But who are we to say that his guerilla theater is bad when just look at what it has spawned. Seems pretty successful to me.

If you view him as guerilla theater, then why judge him by conventional standards of continuity and suspension of disbelief? Maybe he undermines them on purpose in order to elevate his guerilla theater into an entirely new and fantastic realm.

Or not.

Actually, how does one teach guerilla theater? Teaching it seems a little un-guerilla-theater-esque, a little counter-intuitive, sort of like an organization of anarchists or a comprehensive guide to "how to be spontaneous." But hey, whatever floats the boat and keeps the kids off of the streets, or on the streets implementing their finals in Guerilla 101. :)

-PL&B

• Members

If you view him as guerilla theater, then why judge him by conventional standards of continuity and suspension of disbelief? Maybe he undermines them on purpose in order to elevate his guerilla theater into an entirely new and fantastic realm.

Or not.

Actually, how does one teach guerilla theater? Teaching it seems a little un-guerilla-theater-esque, a little counter-intuitive, sort of like an organization of anarchists or a comprehensive guide to "how to be spontaneous." But hey, whatever floats the boat and keeps the kids off of the streets, or on the streets implementing their finals in Guerilla 101.
:)

-PL&B

Because, this is a gorram music forum, not some independent playground for a someone of his caliber to come in and disrupt.

Period.

By now, "most" people have figured out he isn't here to "learn " anything and his incessant trappings in every other recording forum (and also a couple of Bartending/ how to make different specialized drinks) out there (where coincidentally enough) hes been banned from for the same crap.

And if he doesnt like what answers some of us give him to his queries..well guess what? He's got an ignore button too.

Screw all that " it keeps them humble" {censored}. It isn't about humble. Its about the really knowledgeable people here giving honest answers to some not so legitimate questions.

"how do I get sizzle out of my rivets?" My ass.

• Members

But who are we to say that his guerilla theater is bad when just look at what it has spawned.

We are the audience!!

Seems pretty successful to me.

As with any critique, there are going to be different perspectives!

If you view him as guerilla theater, then why judge him by conventional standards of continuity and suspension of disbelief?

Those are basic tools we can use to discuss the "combat effectiveness" - as opposed to higher strategies

"guerilla" is non-conventional not "just friggin random" a guerilla is still subject to the realities of firepower, ladscape, supply logistics, etc

Maybe he undermines them on purpose in order to elevate his guerilla theater into an entirely new and fantastic realm.

Well it certainly seems to be an attempt, but as we were talking earlier -- a poor one (note the previous examples, analysis)

As the Duke said : "there's two kinds of music...good and the other kind"

I wish I could remember who said

"yeah, maybe you have reached a point where you have transcended melody, harmony, and rhythm..."

Actually, how does one teach guerilla theater? Teaching it seems a little un-guerilla-theater-esque

not at all! guerilla theater, like (the root guerilla as in warfare) isn't random...it's a bottom up form of operating organization allowing the elements to (inter)operate with greater independence.

guerilla soldiers get trained as well

for a guerilla operation, those sorts of fundamentals can be MORE important as individual operators have to be largely autonomous.

a little counter-intuitive, sort of like an organization of anarchists or a comprehensive guide to "how to be spontaneous."

It can be a little counter-intuitive, we are habituating creatures!

That's where the training can help! just as with music, fencing, or any other number of endeavors...getting strong fundamentals under us allow us greater flexibility.

Learning to apply the fundementals IN a flexible nature (as opposed to along straight doctrine) is a skill...in a lot of ways, that 'learning' is "unlearning" a higher level doctrine so that one can more fluidly apply.

This is actually a particular problem of the Walters character (poor rhythm)

Guerilla isn't 'totally disorganized'...that's a psychotic break (word salad is a unique expression too)

• Members

Actually, how does one teach guerilla theater? Teaching it seems a little un-guerilla-theater-esque, a little counter-intuitive, sort of like an organization of anarchists or a comprehensive guide to "how to be spontaneous." But hey, whatever floats the boat and keeps the kids off of the streets, or on the streets implementing their finals in Guerilla 101.
:)

-PL&B

Your almost on the mark. Its taught in combination with Improvisational Theatre, Dialect, and History Customs and manners. All brought to you by the people at Scarborough Faire in beautiful downtown Waxahatchie Texas.

• Members

I jot down most of walter's replies into a notebook. I use this notebook whenever I need to insult somebody. Comes in real handy!

I think walters just can't communicate well. Maybe English is not his first language. And he likes messing with us.

• Members

But who are we to say that his guerilla theater is bad when just look at what it has spawned.

We are the audience!!

Seems pretty successful to me.

As with any critique, there are going to be different perspectives!

If you view him as guerilla theater, then why judge him by conventional standards of continuity and suspension of disbelief?

Those are basic tools we can use to discuss the "combat effectiveness" - as opposed to higher strategies

"guerilla" is non-conventional not "just friggin random" a guerilla is still subject to the realities of firepower, ladscape, supply logistics, etc

Maybe he undermines them on purpose in order to elevate his guerilla theater into an entirely new and fantastic realm.

Well it certainly seems to be an attempt, but as we were talking earlier -- a poor one (note the previous examples, analysis)

As the Duke said : "there's two kinds of music...good and the other kind"

I wish I could remember who said

"yeah, maybe you have reached a point where you have transcended melody, harmony, and rhythm..."

Actually, how does one teach guerilla theater? Teaching it seems a little un-guerilla-theater-esque

not at all! guerilla theater, like (the root guerilla as in warfare) isn't random...it's a bottom up form of operating organization allowing the elements to (inter)operate with greater independence.

guerilla soldiers get trained as well

for a guerilla operation, those sorts of fundamentals can be MORE important as individual operators have to be largely autonomous.

a little counter-intuitive, sort of like an organization of anarchists or a comprehensive guide to "how to be spontaneous."

It can be a little counter-intuitive, we are habituating creatures!

That's where the training can help! just as with music, fencing, or any other number of endeavors...getting strong fundamentals under us allow us greater flexibility.

Learning to apply the fundementals IN a flexible nature (as opposed to along straight doctrine) is a skill...in a lot of ways, that 'learning' is "unlearning" a higher level doctrine so that one can more fluidly apply.

This is actually a particular problem of the Walters character (poor rhythm)

Guerilla isn't 'totally disorganized'...that's a psychotic break (word salad is a unique expression too)

Thank you, Paul. You got it ;)

Archived