Enough Walters, Phil please cut him off...

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

He does bait and insult people, so he ain't completely off the hook, either.

I think what a lot of people forget (myself included) is that he's a troll.

The person you see on the forum doesn't actually exist. If you sting him (the real person, not the Walters persona), he will tell you {censored} off in surprisingly lucid English. If seen it happen a few times, including in a recently deleted thread.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I admit I try to play him for fun. First up I felt sorry for him, then when I realised there was more to him that he was letting on, I got really angry with him.

Now I know it's a game - and there is a bit of a pattern if you follow his threads.

But if it ever ceases to be fun (frequently) just ignore him.
It's not worth feeling sorry or mad at him.

If he really upsets you - just ignore his posts.

Realise it's a game - only ever a game.

• Members
Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I admit I try to play him for fun. First up I felt sorry for him, then when I realised there was more to him that he was letting on, I got really angry with him.

Now I know it's a game - and there is a bit of a pattern if you follow his threads.

But if it ever ceases to be fun (frequently) just ignore him.

It's not worth feeling sorry or mad at him.

If he really upsets you - just ignore his posts.

Realise it's a game - only ever a game.

Precisely ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

interestingly enough, those who get a kick out of Walters tend to be among the most experienced recording engineers on the boards. And those who are bothered by him are often his dupe.

That's insulting and not at all true. His critics are nowhere near as rude and ignorant as the character, we have very legitimate reasons to complain. He's taking advantage of the good nature of any helpful community he can post his unfathomable crap to.

My opinion on why more experienced techs may have more tolerance and patience with our little disturbed individual-

Those without the same weight of professional experience as some of our more prolific posters have more recently gone through the trouble to read up on all these subjects, to ask the pertinent questions, and to teach ourselves. It's the expectation to be spoon-fed every single answer without making efforts in good faith to research that drives the amateur crowd into fits. Well, that and the poor sense of humor and lack of viable information to glean out of his threads.

I think this post sums up well his disrespect for HC and every other forum that he hasn't been banned from yet-

Originally posted by Walters9515

What ever question i ask somebody is going to reply learn the basics,use google, buy books just give me your educated answer even if i don't understand i can print it out with my questions answered to take to someone how will make me understand it

Its really easy i ask questions people read them and say ok i'll reply and give the answer very simple

Don't worry if i don't get the answers or don't understand them

just answer the questions with your educated guess

He's here entirely to waste our time, not to learn.

• Members

What ever question i ask somebody is going to reply learn the basics,use google, buy books just give me your educated answer even if i don't understand i can print it out with my questions answered to take to someone how will make me understand it

Its really easy i ask questions people read them and say ok i'll reply and give the answer very simple

THis is true i dont' know why u can't just stop going in my threads if u don't like me its really that easy because it makes me get banned and rude because its really annoying just answer the question if not they stop going in my threads whats the big deal because it makes me look really bad because i have to insult which is not nice or good because it not nice or good with a gang of bad regulars either junking up my threads so action reaction.
To stop all this just really stop going in my threads unless u want to be nice and reply with a answer thats really simple.

• Members

THis is true i dont' know why u can't just stop going in my threads if u don't like me its really that easy because it makes me get banned and rude because its really annoying just answer the question if not they stop going in my threads whats the big deal because it makes me look really bad because i have to insult which is not nice or good because it not nice or good with a gang of bad regulars either junking up my threads so action reaction.

To stop all this just really stop going in my threads unless u want to be nice and reply with a answer thats really simple.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ;)

:freak:

• Members

That's exactly what they ARE doing

1) by recommending you get a foundation they are HELPING you define the question and HELPING you to ask the RIGHT questions. Without having a basic foundation, it's tough to know which questions to ask.

They are saving you time and frustration

2) by posting links to pubished articles, they are giving you an alrready crafted answer -- it saves everyone time and the quality goes up as the article can have editting, references, graphics, etc that really isn't practical in a forum reply

"In your own words"... no need to reinvent the wheel ('sides some of the guys around DO write such articles it is in THEIR words)

They DO give you the simple answer - they just aren't ones you like...often the answer is "question ill-defined" (just like your calculator) and that you need more foundation before moving on

see that's part of the responsibility of the educator, to make sure you do get it...for your own safety (so you don't misuse information) and for society in general (so misunderstandings aren't perpetuated)

THis is true i dont' know why u can't just stop going in my threads

Keep in mind this is a forum, and threads serve MORE than just the originator (ties back into the previous point)

If you want total control of the question/answer dialog, e-mail, PMs, etc are the way to go

As for the comic performance aspect, try to tighten that up. Comedy or repetition and of extension can work, but being it's like music without rests - a constant pressure without rhythmic breaks, the comic danceface isn't broken - you have to watch your harmony and realize the terminus acts as the comic break

remember

it's comedy of the absurd, not comedy of the stupid

Also watch your angles, if you 'play idiot' on a subject in one forum, but have obviously looked into it on another forum, the "suspension of disbelief" of the illusion is broken -- the trick is up and not very interesting

• Members

It's not me, it's not only a couple of us, it's not only this subforum, it's not only Harmony Central, when you receive such a response to your questions the problem lies entirely in your ability to communicate. Feel free to respond to any constructive criticism offered with juvenile taunts, though.

It's not as if you ever respond with relevant information when I ask you to clarify whatever concept you're trying to convey. It's not as if you've ever gone through the effort to buy any books we suggest, or reference any websites we may offer to help solve your "problems". Anyone sincere about their desire to learn needs to use any resource they can to meet a level of proficiency.

Refusing to use those commonly available resources will cause one to get stuck on the most basic of issues, as you seem to on a regular basis.

• Members
Originally posted by Chao

It's not me, it's not only a couple of us, it's not only this subforum, it's not only Harmony Central, when you receive such a response to your questions the problem lies entirely in your ability to communicate. Feel free to respond to any constructive criticism offered with juvenile taunts, though.

It's not as if you ever respond with relevant information when I ask you to clarify whatever concept you're trying to convey. It's not as if you've ever gone through the effor to buy any books we suggest, or reference any websites we may offer to help solve your "problems". Anyone sincere about their desire to learn needs to use any resource they can to meet a level of proficiency.

Refusing to use those commonly available resources will cause one to get stuck on the most basic of issues, as you seem to on a regular basis.

Exactly. Heaven forbid should he have to go and do any REAL research instead of trying to be spoonfed information that he disregards anyways.

:freak:

• Members

If i ask a question why can't u guys just give me a answer a simple or complex answer only without all the other stuff

b/c "all the other stuff" actually IS the answer -- not the answer you may want to hear... but that's the deal with asking a question...you have to open to the answer -- otherwise you're not really asking a question

[note : you've played this line already almost verbatim 3 months ago... the bit is tired, you need to update/freshen it ...it's poor performance..use the schtick as a scaffold to structure the performance...performing just the schtick is hack work ]

• Members

Really does this look like a answer
from CHAD look how long this is so annoying

Rabbits sold in the United States for food are not only North American cottontails, but are commonly crosses between New Zealand and Belgian varieties, imported Chinese rabbits, or Scottish hares. The meat is fine grained and mild flavored. Like other lean meat, poultry, and fish, rabbit meat is a good source of high quality protein.
Types of Rabbit Commonly Available

* Fryer or young rabbit--the terms "fryer" or "young rabbit" refer to a rabbit weighing not less than 1

• Members

Depends on the question -- but there sure is some good info there

now, in your case -- the underlying question seems to be

how can I update my act? I'm having trouble with material, I have a rigidly defined character, but it's getting stale...should I maybe have Walters jump a shark on waterskis?
or perhaps I need to add some new blood like "scrappy Walter"

While these solutions have been tried and maybe eek out a little more like to a bit at the expense of quality...I think it'd be MUCH better if you relied on stronger writing, fresh material or simply retire a character that's spent

• Members

Nope wrong thats really rude and uncool to reply stuff like that in someones thread makes me very unset its still very rude and wrong in my book

Rude!?! Nah, helping you with your performance work!!

That's the deal with this sort of "reaction performance", the audience *IS* part of the participation and as such they are invested in the quality of the performance

This is an opportunity for you to hone your skills (well, to be brutally honest -- to get a basic edge on your skills -- right now it's a one note samba...and you need to have rhythmic breaks to make that work)

• Members

Nope sorry if i had the education,skills and every book but i don't big difference so i have a right to ask a question if i want to
its your problem that u have and others because im uneducated, and don't have the skills thats the whole point of asking a question on a forum to have others that are educated and have skills to help out.

• Members
Nope sorry if i had the education,skills and every book but i don't big difference

If that were true you would acceept the links to larger amounts of information and you wouldn't offer statements of fact as you do

so i have a right to ask a question if i want to

actually it's a privelidge (it can be revoked without due process) and with that comes the responsibility to conduct yourself well - EVEN IN CHARACTER

its your problem that u have and others because im uneducated

absolutely it's our problem to educate the uneducated...which is why the answers are a little more comprehensive that your character "wants"
that's the concept, but the act needs to be updated

and don't have the skills thats the whole point of asking a question on a forum to have others that are educated and have skills to help out.

it's not the skills to the question that you lack so much (ya sort of have been tipping your hand lately by playing the flanging card on different levels of understanding on different forums, etc)

that's just poor form as you don't break comic face, but you show the seams...to play that sort of cohesive character you have to watch your angles and keep a consistent "mythology" around the character
it's a pretty good idication that the bit needs updated as it can't maintain it's own identity within the performance, the character has become "brittle"

• Members
ok i get it just focus more on the person that is asking the questino and don't even look at my questions just attack me

actualy the questions are getting answred (notice the win-win part in the whammy question)

Attack you!?!?

not at all, I' HELPING you by critiquing your act. Yes, getting critical feedback can be emotionally draining, but that's part of the artistic process! esp in a method where you are paying TO the audience reaction

because im stupid,uneducated,unskilled and make fun of trash my threads and tell me that i don't know how to ask a question right or in the form.

not at all - you are making fun of the threads, that's part of your character! what I'm doing is pointing out how the character is getting stale so you can improve it
If done with taste, you ccan actually have the Walters character continue AND have good conversations
The thing is, you need to make him the comic foil not the comic foible

• Members

This one is my favorite...

Originally posted by Chad-Chicago

In today's increasingly mechanized world, where the bottom line so often takes precedence over human considerations, the working man never knows how long it will be before he is replaced by a machine. It's no secret that some in management at Gillian's Fish Products, where I work, feel that automation would improve productivity and quality control. But what they don't understand is that they will lose something far more valuable if employees are let go: the resentful human touch.

No mere machine can replace the embittered alienation of the flesh-and-blood worker. Sure, machines may be able to gut whitefish in the blink of an eye. But would they be able, as I am, to despise and bemoan their miserable lot? To seethe with the unbearable knowledge that this will be their sole livelihood until the day they die? To identify with the glassy, sightless eye of every fish as their sharp blades spill the innards out?

Whether it's scaling each cod and struggling to suppress the repulsion and loathing within, or de-boning each haddock while fighting the impulse to drop the knife and walk out of the factory as far as your legs can take you, such sentiments could never be reproduced in mechanical form. Those special qualities can only come from one source: exhausted men and women forced to feed and clothe their children on a pauper's wages.

Replacing us with machines will increase profits, but can a dollar value be placed on the labors of someone who drinks before his morning shift just to get through the day? And when the machines are sitting in six-inch-deep gore at day's end, will they go home and take out their frustrations on family members and loved ones? I think not.

A machine can only contain wires, diodes, and gears, not the living, breathing sum of life's screw-ups, heartbreaks, and regrets.

You can install machines, but you can't install the permanent smell of fish in your nostrils, or hands that have been roughened, swollen, and discolored from years of fish dismemberment. You can build a machine to replicate the same repetitive motions we perform five backbreaking days a week, but all the engineers in the world cannot build a machine that will repeatedly bang its head on a locker, silent tears streaming down its metal cheeks, as it contemplates its wasted life.

Can a machine fume about years without a decent vacation, or having to pay exorbitant rent in a company-owned tenement near the factory? This, surely, only a man can do

• Members

sure your the man with all the answers

Just some of em, there are some GREAT resources here and if you refine the walters character a little you can have the "bumbling guy" role AND avail yourself of some great info at the same time!

it's a funny dichotomy in the character to have the"sure..with all the answers" resentment and the 'I'm just asking, please help me' innocence -- it makes the Walters character edgy

now you could use that to freshen up the bit some and keep the character from getting one dimensional, but you'd have to play it carefully as the character is already abrasive.

I'd probably work on the rhtyhm first (leaving more space, correcting the timing, etc) before you work on the shading of the character as it is already brittle

Archived