Yamaha 01X VS. M-Audio Project Mix

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometime next week I will have the ProjectMix, an Onyx mixer w/fw interface and an 002R all here, along with some of the best ears I know in the northeast (along with my own) to do some serious comparison tests.

How would you feel about splitting the microphone outputs so that all units recieve the same signal, that would make for some good A/B/© comparison I think.

MP3s maybe?

• Members

How would you feel about splitting the microphone outputs so that all units recieve the same signal, that would make for some good A/B/(C) comparison I think.MP3s maybe?

Good idea but I agree, MP3s are not exactly ideal for critical listening. However if the differences are major I think we`ll hear something.

• Members

I've discovered one pretty major flaw with the analog line inputs, confirmed by M-Audio(who claims that it's a hardware issue and they are working on it, but offered no answer to what current owners can expect in the way of an upgrade when the issue is corrected.)

The input sensitivity is -10. You cannot run +4 into them without clipping the input section. This for me is a major issue, and I am now holding off purchase.

• Members

I've discovered one pretty major flaw with the analog line inputs, confirmed by M-Audio(who claims that it's a hardware issue and they are working on it, but offered no answer to what current owners can expect in the way of an upgrade when the issue is corrected.)

The input sensitivity is -10. You cannot run +4 into them without clipping the input section. This for me is a major issue, and I am now holding off purchase.

I've got my rep investigating into this and should know more next week.

• Members

That sucks!! I hate hardware issues......all though I can work around that issue, its still messed up. Hopefully they do a free hardware upgrade for us that have already purchased the PM.

UPDATE::::
I just spoke with tech support and they told me that there have been a few cases of that hardware issue ,and they are working on that, but it has not been the majority. I am not experiencing the same issue personally.

• Members

I cannot work around this, or rather I choose not to. This will become my mix AD, as well as an interface for live recording where I will use console direct outs, which are all going to be +4.

So, my purchase is once again on hold.....more will be revealed.

If I can get in writing that the issue is going to be resolved (ie they change the circuitry to +4 or make it switchable) and guarantee me that my unit will be replaced with the new one for no charge, then I'll buy. I really want to take advantage of the old pricing ($1000) vs the new pricing ($1600) for obvious reasons, but if I can't I'll probably just get either an 002 or a Mackie controller and stick with my current setup.

Hopefully I will get good news next week regarding this IMHO idiotic oversite in design.

• Members

Originally posted by jonmatifa

This makes me glad they've got SPDIF and ADAT on there.

SPDIF or adat, it cannot do both simultaniously.

Yes I'm glad I have yet to commit, but have a unit inhand. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this as a demo until M-Audio corrects the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by where02190

Sometime next week I will have the ProjectMix, an Onyx mixer w/fw interface and an 002R all here, along with some of the best ears I know in the northeast (along with my own) to do some serious comparison tests.

More will be revealed.

Hey Nick, how did your shootout turn out?

• Members

The Project Mix had a lot of hype before it was released and now it seems that many are disappointed. I`m not trying to speculate but it does seem that this thread has died. Where is everyone that purchased one? Have things improved? I`m still looking for a piece that does what this thing promises.

• Members

The ProjectMix has far too many bugs to be worthwhile IMHO and we ended up returning it. It often froze up, requiring a system reboot in Protools, had no controller mapping for Tracktion, and worst of all, the line inputs are -10 sensitivity, and cannot handle the +4 outputs of our outboard mic pres.

Yes IMHO the ProjectMix is a huge dissapointment.

Archived