Yamaha 01X VS. M-Audio Project Mix

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My GML 8302 being a 10, and the 001 pres being a 1, I'd rate them about a 3. They sound about as good as a Mackie VLX preamp. I doubt I would ever use them, making the device even less appealing. At this point I'd say it is very likely it will go back in the box and get returned. Grateful for a top notch Pro Audio dealer that lets me demo without buying. (Kudos to Parsons Audio in Wellsley, MA )

I can't get Tracktion to even recognize the device.

• Members

I guess its a preference thing also. I remember a previous post you said you heard from "more than one reliable source the ProjectMix pres sound BETTER than the 002's" You thought otherwise and that is cool. That is why we have this board, so we can discuss opinions. I hope my opinion is that they are descent pres. I kind of anticipated getting more pres anyway so I probably wont send it back for that.

• Members

The pres do not determine in my mind whether the unit is staying or going. To me, they are extra and handy just to get things rolling if I don`t have the time to set up (very handy for songwriters).

I`m more concerned with how it integrates with DP and REASON. Also, how the unit feels. Is it sturdy or will it blow up if it falls off the desktop? One thing for Mackie, they build some good units, same goes for Tascam. So if I can get a good build and good integration with the DAWs stated above, I`m good to go.

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley

The pres do not determine in my mind whether the unit is staying or going. To me, they are extra and handy just to get things rolling if I don`t have the time to set up (very handy for songwriters).

I`m more concerned with how it integrates with DP and REASON. Also, how the unit feels. Is it sturdy or will it blow up if it falls off the desktop? One thing for Mackie, they build some good units, same goes for Tascam. So if I can get a good build and good integration with the DAWs stated above, I`m good to go.

I totally agree.

• Members

Personally, i bought a separate interface so i didn't have to worry about the pre's in whatever control surface i bought. That's mostly why I'm gonna get an MCU. It doesn't tie me down to any interface. Sure, costs a bit more to do that, but worth the flexibility if i want to upgrade.

-Mike

• Members

The pres are somewhat critial to me for when I do remote recording. I've got plenty of pres to choose from in the studio, they'll never get used there, but I want something I can easily do 8 tracks live without having to rely on console pres if I don't want to. IF I need more than 8 I can easily rent a good Lightpipe pre, and if I need more than that I use a Mackie MDR ande bring in a console (Midas Venice).

• Members

Originally posted by gsoul

My projectmix should be in thursday. I Jumped on it before all the vendors price increase. I will let you know what I think.

If you're at all thinking positive this is a good move, as they are about to go up about 50% in price.

• Members

the price has increased in most places.....basically if you want to get it for $999 or less you may want to consider buying by mid feb. The manufactures price used to be $1299.95 therefore allowing the MAP to be $999. Now the manufatures price is $1599.95, allowing the MAP to be $1249.97. According to the stores I talked to that still sold the projectmix for $999, they said they will raise their price once they run out of their current stash and have to order at a higher price.

• Members

You've got tot find one instock from shipments a few weeks ago to get the under a grand price.

For $1000, it's tough to beat. IMHO it's a far better deal than the 002, the mic pres are decent, the converters very nice, the control surface feels solid and well built. There's still some glitches in the software, but after many conversations tech support, I feel they'll be working them out ASAP. With the recent upgrades in Protools (FYI the M-Powered software is $250 extra, add on another $500 for the toolkit bundle) for $1750 you have a PT rig capable of 48 mono or stereo tracks that can record 8 at a time, 16 with a lightpipe interface. For not alot more than the cost of the 002, you got 16 mic pres, not 4, and with the exception of the stand alone mixer feature and simultanious spdif/lightpipe, there's little difference.

• Members

its all according to what you want to use it with. I want it to control sonar 5.0.1 and m-powered pro tools 7. I am confident it works well with those items. Sure there are a few software bugs but you have to ask yourself, how many times have you heard of a software updating its drivers because of a few bugs? Personally, I dont know of any software that comes out that doesnt have bugs fixed with updated drivers,ect. Sonar, Protools, Nuendo, XP ect does updates because of bugs but it doesnt mean they are not great softwares. As long as the company has a good history of fixing the bugs, then I am cool. I wouldnt try to wait until the swoftware becomes perfect because, IMHO, no software is perfect. There will always be bugs and there will always be updated drivers or "fixes". But, at the same time, if you don't feel comfortable just yet then I can understand you waiting.

• Members

I would think at this stage it is pretty usable. There are enough units out there and enough of the bugs have been fixed. I would highly recommend downloading the latest drivers and firmware right off the bat. Also, make sure you get the latest manual. All of these, of coarse, are on the M-Audio website.

Also, which helped me, go to the forums of the DAW software you use. This was a great help. I then searched the Mackie forum since most will run this in a Mackie Compliant mode.

I've had other hardware upgrades that were easier, but after it was said and done, I've got a damn good controller at a great price.

• Members

So... anyone have any input on how this would stack up against mackie's 400f or presonus' new unit (VERY similar to firepod) the FireStudio?

My wallet is burning a hole in my pocket and I am awaiting a comment that goes like... after 240932 years of experience I can say that wihtout a doubt the ______ is the best recording interface in the 1-2k range :D...

This unit seems to have its bugs but holy lord read the onyx forum at mackie... bugs like you wouldn't believe. My spike was one of the worst products I've ever had, but before I bought it, there was huge talk about how cool it was. I think the protools compatibility with the projectmix is worth a lot too.

Archived