Yamaha 01X VS. M-Audio Project Mix

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Stmad

Hi there

Please (sonik777) try this :

Go to device manager and open the properties of your firewire device.

See if there is a tab that says Power Management

If it's there then turn off the
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
option.

This should make the trick...
:D

I have no such option, I checked all over windows for various power management options as well, nothing related to firewire.

I havn't heard back from tech support either.

:(

• Members

sonic777, do not take this for cash but... I believe I read that the onboard firewire inputs do not perform as well as ...how can I say this properly.... "after market add on" firewire cards.

Sorry for the half @ss'd answer, but I know how frustrating it is to get a new device going on a pc. Sometimes any help is good help.

Buy a firewire card from a shop that has a good return policy (they are dirt cheap), install it , then try the Project/Mix thru that firewire port. If it still doesn't work....return the card.

BTW.... I seriously looked at the 01X... felt the faders and pots felt really flimsy and cheap. Plus the lack of a dedicated headphone volume pot (monitor section) just changed my mind for me. I would have had to add another piece of gear to make it work in my set up, the Presonus HP4.

Just my 2 cents...

• Members

It's funny that you mention that. I was just thinking yesterday that it could be a a potential hardware issue with the board and/or port. Despite all diagnostics telling me everything was cool.

So with fireiwre cards being so cheap I decided to pick one up today, installed it and so far the project mix has been running stable with minimal load for an hour.....

So far so good

:freak:

I seriously looked at the 01X... felt the faders and pots felt really flimsy and cheap.

I think I commented about the knobs having a bit of "play" to them in my EQ review of the 01X. That, and the "push 'em to select things" part concerned me - but neither one ever caused me any problems. The main problem with the faders on the 01X i that they're short throw 60mm faders, and I've gotten too used to using 100m faders. ;)

• Members

Anyone using it with Protools M-Powered Software? I see the website still says "Pro Tools M-Powered support coming soon."

This is a major factor for me, although it seems smart to get it while the price is still under a grand. ...however I'm concerned that Digi might not qualify it since it's so close to the 002 and at 1/2 the price.

• Members

Well I just read the cakewalk forum discussion. Sounds like everyone who has the Pro Mix likes it but everyone is having issues with hooking it up and even then there is some odd behavior. I think I`ll wait until MAudio gets their act together. I`m looking for a controller for Digital Performer and this fits the price range I`m looking at but if its misbehaving I would rather pay double and get something that really works the way it should.

• Members

I got one over the weekend and it's still not working. I am running a Windows XP SP2, Pentium M 2.0, 1.5 gigs RAM, Sonar 5.01.

I spent an hour with M-Audio Tech Support today and he will call me back tommorow. My impression is they still don't have it all together yet.

This has been anything but a smooth install. The documentation is poor. I have wasted far too much time on this. I am ready to send it back. The frustration is extreme.:mad:

• Members

I plan to order the projectmix this friday.....it seems there are alot of succesful installs and great sound quality reported.....so I guess I will take a chance. Whenever you order newly manufactured equipment, the new customers usually are the "driver guinee pigs". :(

• Members
Originally posted by gsoul

I plan to order the projectmix this friday.....it seems there are alot of succesful installs and great sound quality reported.....so I guess I will take a chance. Whenever you order newly manufactured equipment, the new customers usually are the "driver guinee pigs".
:(

Keep your fingers crossed...I guess it depends on what your DAW is, but my install has been hell. YMMV.

• Members

OK so I got the thing today. I wish it was a bit smaller, it takes up alot of real estate in my already crowded CR.

So far I've just been playing around using it as a controller for LTle 6.4, and it's working ok. The response of the encoder knobs for some things, expecialy plug in editing is sluggish, and the master fader doesn't assign to the M-Audio master fader, it's whereever it is in the channel lineup, which really sucks.

I'll be hooking it up to Tracktion and checking out it's audio abilities soon. So far, I'm not that impressed.

• Members

As tempted as I am to purchase the Project Mix, I`m not hearing what I want to hear yet. The Mackie Universal Control is still looking like the best option for a DAW controller.

Yes, the I/O of the Project Mix is what is attracting me but I`m not happy with the feedback you are all giving so far. Right now I have my 737s as my inputs into the 2408 MKII so I can deal with that.

• Members

I feel what you are saying earnest, but it still seems to be more of a driver problem which will most likely be corrected. Im still gonna take the plunge because of the I/O and the multi platform compatibility. There are pluses and minuses with every product, we just have to be willing to adjust to the minuses.

• Members

Another issue I had was in trying to get through to tech support today. No less than 45 minutes on hold before I got a human, all the while being subjected to some really bad sounding music on hold.

Did some A/B with the ProjectMix pres vs the M-box and our console pres. I'm still not impressed.

Archived