Yamaha 01X VS. M-Audio Project Mix

• Members

I checked out both units last night and I brought the Yamaha home. Both unit were appealing and I wanted as much flexibility as possible. Since the Yamaha is a mixer as well, it was closer to what I wanted in the first place.

It took me a long time to setup finishing tweeking latency issues on my PC but I got the unit to perform almost as good as I had it before ( considering the added features, I'm pleased).

I have still a lot to figure out such as using the Yamaha reverb instead of the VST plugin or better yet, using external gear.

That is all, this music gear is costing me a lot of money :mad:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Talk to me 777, what's the deal.....which way are the thumbs going....

I definitely do not need a mixer, already got one of those, I need continued PT upgrade compliance and a controller w/some pres. 8 is a nice number. Most times I can live with 8, so that eliminates the need for an ADAT interface.

Gotta ask the Mackie gurus if it's compatible with tracktion.....

Originally posted by where02190

Gotta ask the Mackie gurus if it's compatible with tracktion.....

Hello Where!

I'm no Mackie Guru... but yes, It should work fine with Tracktion.

However, the ProjectMix has not -yet- a preset Mode for Tracktion.

You know the deal, turn the machine on and it's ready for Pro Tools (under HUI protocol), or SONAR, or LIVE, or Digital Performer, Logic or Cubase.

Maybe using MACKIE CONTROL protocol it could recognize something pre-adjusted. That's something interesting to know.

Otherwise, You may program your own presets from scratch for Tracktion, something I would not love to do, unless assigning MIDI events into Tracktion is as easy as it is on Ableton's LIVE.

• Members

I havn't had time to unpack it even!

This weekend though I should have some time to start into it.

I'm using Sonar 5 by the way.

:thu:

edit: Ok I opened it up and everything looks good, external power supply, 2 firewire cables and a cd-rom.

No printed manual! I know this is a trend but c'mon, for a grand I think you should get a gall darn hard copy of the manual. Oh well guess I'll just have to print out a copy at work ;)

• Members

I'm having an issue.

For some reason my computer randomly loses connection (via firewire) to the unit. It doesn't seem like any specific action causes it, but it is inevitable. It happens usually within 1 to 10 minutes. Regardless of activity (even completley idle).

I did update the software and firmware beforehand.

I'm going to backup all my stuff, and reformat this weekend. Reinstall everything clean and see what happens then. THough I'm a little frustrated and worried right now!

I'm hoping it's just some software/driver glitch that is easily fixed...

Any idears?

:confused:

• Members

I have three little nags with the Project Mix. You have ADAT outs, but for the life of me I cannot seem to be able to route anything to them except software returns from PT or SONAR. Its routing features seem extremely primitive and I've noticed this trend with the M-Audio firewire interfaces. (Gus, I've sent you a PM). Secondly, I cannot get the unit to sync to word clock. It will sync to S/PDIF or ADAT, but not word clock from my RME. Lastly the faders are touch sensitive, but also not. On a normal control surface if you move a fader with your sleeve or something, it will go right back to where it was - this does not seem to be the case on Project Mix. I've chased my tail a bit coming back from a short break, only to notice the mix sounds different because the faders got moved. It's not the way the other controllers work, so I'm not used to having to worry about it like I did with my analog mixers.

The pres sound pretty good - extremely similar to the DMP3 that I highly praise for a super affordable pre. Definitely a step up from the Mackie Onyx and the TASCAM FW1884, IMO. The converters are fine. They do not compete incredibly well with my RME, but they are very usable and on the same level as the TASCAM and such. Having the track names displayed is invaluable. Solve those three things, AND MAKE THE METERS WORK IN SONAR, and the Project Mix would be untouchable.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

OK so I'll be picking one up to test drive monday. Of course I won't have PTle M-Powered software, so I can only test drive it on Tracktion, but that should be a good start anyway.....

Nick, you can use it with any version of Pro Tools as far as the control surface portion, anyway.

• Members

I'm running a 2.6 ghz P4. 1 Gig ram.

The firewire is built into the asus motherboard. I've never used firewire before this.

It's the only firewire interface hooked up.

Running sonar 5, updated to 5.0.1

But like I said it will lose connection even when no programs are running.

This is my first DAW setup, I was planning on upgrading my computer this spring or summer. My next purchase was going to be the RME fireface. Needless to say I am concerned about it not being able to sync via wordclock now!!!

Perhaps these are all just software/driver issues that will be addressed?

:(

• Members

Hey guys, regarding onboard firewire, make sure that IRQ's don't aren't shared for onboard 1394, video and or PCI cards. My asus board seems to perform better without! Relocate PCI cards...

You can check this Right Click My Computer, device manager!

Also in the bios I disabled anything that isn't needed, serial, printer ports, USB from 8 to 2, onboard promise raid or VIA if not needed!

Later

• Members

Well I reformated my computer, made sure all the drivers and software were fully up to date. New fire wire cable installed as well.

Guess what?

Problem is still there.

I even tried testing it with the project mixes old driver (the one that comes with the installation disk) and the current driver. Made no difference. Between 1 minute and half an hour the thing will drop the connection regardless.

I love spending a grand on a new piece of gear and not being able to get it to function.

Talk about Buzz kill. :mad:

Anyway, I sent a service report/email to m-audio's tech support. Hopefully they will be able to shine some light on it.

If not i'm returning it and getting the Yamaha!

Any other possible solutions?

:confused:

• Members

Have you tried a program like LtcyCfg to make sure that everything on the PCI buss (including your AGP card) has "equal time?" An AGP card getting "floodgate" priority on the PCI buss can really make for frustrating issues.

The firewire card for our DM24 worked perfectly with my mixing rig DAW, but patently hated our tracking DAW. Even the PCI TDIF I/O system wouldn't play back without having underrun problems. The firewire card died in a firmware accident :rolleyes:, but the TDIF system suddenly worked perfectly after applying some changes with LtcyCfg.

Here's a link. Your mileage may vary.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

• Members

My firewire is built into the motherboard, and the only card I have in my computer is a radeon 9600 video card.

I downloaded and ran that program though.

Here are my results in this screenshot.

Does it look right?

• Members

Hi there

Please (sonik777) try this :

Go to device manager and open the properties of your firewire device.

See if there is a tab that says Power Management

If it's there then turn off the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

This should make the trick...:D

Archived