Rebecca Black Lessons

• Members

NICE! Good point.

And something of interest to note:

That song was so banal and horrendous and so representative how poor pop music had become during the early 50s that it is credited with sparking the huge interest in rock and roll that followed.

Who knows? Perhaps "Friday" will have the same cultural effect.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd mention this perspective...

She's 13.

That's it. That's the perspective.

Fact is, she's had more dislikes than likes on YouTube... Why? Because a bunch of adults and older teens didn't like the song and felt the need to put her in her place. Because her audience was the world and not a targeted select group. Consider the fact that she still has 400k+ who LIKED the song. That's 350k more than most indie artists have in their own fan base. Who is that fan base who liked the song? Most likely kids around 13 years old and under.

Nobody in this forum likes her song. Big deal. Half of us don't like each other songs either. I'll bet most artists have more people who dislike their songs than like them. But we don't target the world because we know this deep down. We target people who we think will like it and focus on that. What do we do with critics who bash our songs? Ignore them and claim "they get paid to do that" or "they don't know music" or some other excuse. She hit the big time... by accident. She's 13. Her target is little kids.

Think about it... at no time during the entire production process did anyone think, "hey, this is the dumbest song I've ever heard." They all thought, "hey, i don't get it but she's 13 and her and her friends thinks it's cool and they like it." Remember, just a few years earlier these kids were enjoying the hell out of Mary Had A Little Lamb and The Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Now, as to the fallout of how horrible this has been for her... She's been on Leno. Been a featured cameo in a Katy Perry video... and made enough money to fund another string of songs targeted to the 400k+ who liked her song.

At 13 she seems to have understood what so many of us can't grasp... that not everyone is going to like our music and it's not because they don't have taste or sophisticated musical knowledge... it's just because we're all different and not everyone likes the same stuff.

For once we have a 13 year old with songs targeting the 13 and under crowd instead of a 13 year old trying to sing about being 21 and over.

Now, having said that... I cringed when my daughter of 6 liked Beiber and Hannah Montana. There's some themes I didn't want her to hear about for years to come. And seeing a 14 year old girl dressing and acting like she's 21 at a strip club just wasn't a good thing. Well now, there is someone in her age group singing songs for her age group... and I cringe because I just think it's horrible. She hasn't hear it yet thank God.

• Members

What did I learn from Rebecca Black? Nothin. It was an internet meme - they happen. Then people move on.

mmmm, yeah. An internet meme that stars in Katy Perry's new vid. Like all things in reality, not every opportunity applies to everyone who makes music.

http://www.billboard.com/column/viralvideos/katy-perry-parties-with-rebecca-black-glee-1005228372.story#/column/viralvideos/katy-perry-parties-with-rebecca-black-glee-1005228372.story

I'm guessing Ms. Black will have the last laugh, as annoying as her song is and as much as we like to tear into others witch success.

• Members

This thing has been ridiculously over analyzed. The song is so bad, that it became joke, and that's why it's successful; it's funny. That's not exactly success that you can replicate, because it happened by accident.

Has anyone seen that movie "The Room?" It's a similar situation. The film is so terrible, that it's actually comical, and has developed a cult following. If anyone's interested:

The Room has been cited by some critics as one of the worst films ever made,[4][5] and has been called "the Citizen Kane of bad movies."[6][7] After a brief run in Los Angeles, the film went on to develop a cult following and continues to have midnight screenings around the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Denmark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)

• Members
This thing has been ridiculously over analyzed. The song is so bad, that it became joke, and that's why it's successful; it's funny. That's not exactly success that you can replicate, because it happened by accident.

Has anyone seen that movie "The Room?" It's a similar situation. The film is so terrible, that it's actually comical, and has developed a cult following. If anyone's interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film
)

Well, I would wager to say that "Friday" is a better song than "The Room" is a movie. And, "Friday" is only three minutes as opposed to over an hour and a half for "The Room." :)

• Members

I agree. The funny thing about this whole Rebecca Black phenomenon is that it’s a demonstration of how short people’s attention spans really are. This situation is nothing new. Doesn’t anyone remember the Chocolate Rain guy about four years ago? It was a very similar thing—guy writes a terrible song, makes a video that through a series of random circumstances gets millions of hits on YouTube, and lands himself a spot on various late night talk shows, and a Dr Pepper commercial. People were similarly outraged then—claiming how it spells the death of the music business, how people with “real talent” will never get a shot. Then, the guy was quickly forgotten, and we never heard about him again.

The only twist in Rebecca Black’s case is that it was a semi-professionally done video, while the Chocolate Rain guy was obviously amateur. Maybe Rebecca Black will team up with some legitimate songwriters and producers and release some decent music (stranger things have happened), but I see her most likely going in the direction of Chocolate Rain. In fact, it already seems to be happening. I haven’t really heard anything new about her for several months. Soon someone else will come along to fill the void with another crappy song and video, and the cycle will start all over again.

Oh, and let’s not forget about William Hung. Then again, let’s. :)

• Members

Another similar situation is the resurgence of Rick Astley's
Never Gonna Give You Up
. It got big on the internet because it was laughably bad. It has something like 35 million views on YouTube.

True. Although the twist in that is it was a legitimate #1 record back in the '80s.

• Moderators

Sort on the side topic here, but I think having a YouTube rental option is a great idea (mentioned in the article). That still leaves all the freebie viral stuff or stuff that you and I might post in using the YouTube format to our advantage, and allow copyright to be honored as well, paying the creators of commercial art.

• Members

As noted, there have been some real challenges trying to monetize this vid, even aside from the dispute over rights.

Frankly, I see those challenges extending to a lot of content that some providers would probably like to try "renting"... looks like content providers can set their own rates to some extent -- and that's a good thing -- but I strongly suspect that little money will flow from many vids that have racked up what seem like impressive numbers.

But, let's face it, there are a lot of people pimping YT landings to jack up view counts. And YT helps promote such activity by counting every single page landing as a "view." Which, if you think about it, must really jack up the counts. How many times have you watched 10 or 15 seconds of something and clicked it off? I'd say that's probably 80-90% of my Youtube viewing. And then there are all those times when you landed on a YT page you didn't even want to watch in the first place, but, because of auto-play and YT's relentless click-counts, you're counted as having watched whatever it is one more time...

• Moderators

Ha
! And then
I compounded the problem by moving it to the Music Biz forum.
:(

Tell all those Rebecca Black fans in GJ how sorry I am!

:D;):D

quid pro quo, amigo! :mad:;)

Since we are soooo very interested in the Rebecca Black saga, it can stay...I may merge this with the other RB thread later...

but, the article makes an interesting point, and that is that even with 165 million views, the money did not roll into Ark Records coffers, since no one wanted to pay to 'own a copy' of this little gem.

• Members

quid pro quo, amigo!
:mad:;)
Since we are soooo very interested in the Rebecca Black saga, it can stay...I may merge this with the other RB thread later...

but, the article makes an interesting point, and that is that even with 165 million views, the money did not roll into Ark Records coffers, since no one wanted to pay to 'own a copy' of this little gem.

I thought that was the most interesting part as well.

On the surface it appears as though everyone loves it, even if it was a joke, but if we look at it in terms of opportunity most people don't really value it.

EDIT: and feel free to merge this one if the other thread if you'd like.

Is this like telling a cop to go ahead and write that ticket? ;)

• Members

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but if you've seen the Rebecca Black video then you owe it to yourself to see this parody - it's got over a million hits already. A group of people took her video, turned the sound down, read her lips (what it LOOKS like she's saying) and redid the video with new music and vocals. It's pretty funny.

Now THAT'S funny!

• Members

Admittedly I did not read every post in this thread and I have not seen nor heard the Rebecca Black song/video that I am aware of, but I have kids so it may have been on in the background. A couple things though-

1. Why do people always get upset when some one "makes it" with something they consider sh*t? To you it is but to however many pre teen girls it is the greatest thing ever. What makes you so right? Isn't that the great thing about all music, it is subjective. What is to stop you from saying an entire genre of music is sh*t just because you don't like it? So what if she makes money on it, so what if a thousand after her try to do the same thing. DON'T LISTEN, TURN THE STATION, DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK. It really is quite simple. Choices, it's a great thing to have.

2. No matter what your age the generation before you thought your "type" of music was sh*t!!! We were all gonna turn into "drug smokin hippies if you keep listening to that music", "don't you listen to that jungle music in my house" (Motown), "that's awful aggressive angry music. Be careful it might make you suicidal", whatever the era it has it's detrators. So yes by my or your standards it may be sh*t but your music was too at one point.

All music is good music to someone.

• Members

Normally I'd agree with your post 100%, but in this case you're way off, because you never saw the video and don't understand the whole Rebecca Black craze. Her video got popular BECAUSE it was campy and bad. THAT'S why everyone wanted to listen to it. Yes, there are a portion of people who actually enjoyed it, but it got famous because it was so bad and was featured in some national media as being the worst song ever, so everyone had to see what the fuss was. Is it bad? Yeah, it's bad.

Archived