Microphone state laws

• Members

When GC had the Oktava tube mic (MKL2500?) on special for $99.95 a few months ago, I rushed over to buy one...amazed that they could even sell it for that amount. Will, when I plugged it in I immediately heard too much noise. Guess I should have realized the deal was too good to be true...I since learned that GC was sold bad Oktavas and were getting out of the line. But anyway, I took mine back and had absolutely no problem returning it for a credit on my card...no mention of any state law. I have to wonder if "Walters" is maybe just too lacking in people skills...or if there is possibly even more that he didn't tell us.

Barry

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Whatever would make you think that?

Yeah, I know. I actually intended that it come across with more of an implied duh ...;)

Unless he really is pulling our leg, it's kinda fun to imagine the sales person at a GC dealing with him :D

One reason is that they can not sell the unit as new when it is returned. This may be the real reason.

That may indeed be the "real" reason. OTOH, that would apply to just about anything in the store really, wouldn't it? I men, buy a guitar, and you can bring it back, right? But if it's not in "new" condition, they might refuse to take it as a return. Ditto that for a mixing board... and technically, both of those would have your DNA on them - anything you touch does. :) But the mouth contact aspect of some microphone use (especially the case with many of the typical GC mic buyers) is probably the "health" reason. And I really can't see people at stores taking a mic apart (which is what it would take) and disinfecting the screen with a bleach solution.

I remember when I was a kid and we had recorders in music class - and a big bottle of Sterisol for cleaning them after use. I imagine you could use that on harmonicas, brass and reed mouthpieces, etc. to disinfect them... but you can't exactly dip a mic into it. :)

I'm glad this thread got bumped - I wanted to check into this a bit more, and this reminds me to look into it. :)

• Members

"But the mouth contact aspect of some microphone use (especially the case with many of the typical GC mic buyers) is probably the "health" reason."

Yes but you may be forgetting the real situation it is a business. They have to follow the law, safety and others such as not being alle to list returnes as new. When it comes down to it it is all about the business. Companies go chose to do the minimum to stay in compliance so the question is what is the minimum in this case: I think it is the 2 things mentioned, health codes and retail laws.

Archived