Rickenbacker 620 users!

thredlok

• Members

I've had one for 17 years and I love it. I've played everything from punk to blues to pop on it. It's a very versatile and great guitar if you like thin necks. The pickups have a higher output than the vintage toasters, but you can still get some good jangley type thing with them. If you're really after the Ric jangle, you'd be better off with one of the semi-hollow models, IMHO.

• Members

I don't want a 300 series, I would prefer something out of the 600 series. The 620, 660, or maybe even an 650, I have yet to find any in my area yet, so I haven't been able to try'em out first hand. Plenty of 330's and 360's around here though:confused:

• Members

The hi-gains are warmer and fatter, but still rather jangley on the bridge PU (as a matter of fact, it is your only tonal option on the bridge PU). At the neck, you can roll of the tone completely and get a warm, jazzy tone that still maintains single note clarity.

THe toaster tops realy give tyou that bright jangle and that upper-mid sizzle you hear on Tom Petty albums.

-Y.

• Members

I just got this one:

Ric620smaller.jpg

But I've only had it a few weeks. I will be playing it with both my rock bands (punk rock and roots rock) and in church.

So far it seems pretty versatile. Not the easiest guitar to play leads on but certainly doable. I like it a lot so far.

You don't even wanna hear what I traded to get this Ric. ;) Let's just say I got a pretty good deal.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

I just got this one:

Ric620smaller.jpg

But I've only had it a few weeks. I will be playing it with both my rock bands (punk rock and roots rock) and in church.

So far it seems pretty versatile. Not the easiest guitar to play leads on but certainly doable. I like it a lot so far.

You don't even wanna hear what I traded to get this Ric.
;)
Let's just say I got a pretty good deal.

BK

I was looking at one of these in mapleglo, why would you say its not easy to play leads on? (not challenging your opinion, just wondering because I play mostly leads, but if this would hinder my playing, then I guess I should look at other models), please elaborate:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I was looking at one of these in mapleglo, why would you say its not easy to play leads on? (not challenging your opinion, just wondering because I play mostly leads, but if this would hinder my playing, then I guess I should look at other models), please elaborate:wave:

Ric necks are a bit skinnier (across the fretboard) than on a lot of other guitars. Some people have no problem with it, others adapt as they get used to it, for still others Ric necks just don't ever feel right for soloing.

I have small hands anyhow so it's no big deal for me, although it did take a little getting used to. I tend to be a sloppy lead player and I find I have to be a bit more careful with my finger placement on my fretting hand while soloing.

I would see if you can find one locally and try it out before you buy. If you already have done so (sounds like maybe you have) and didn't notice any prob, then just disregard my comments. It's not a big deal to a lot of people but a small percentage of people will not become acclimated to a Ric. Probably moreso the folks wth big mitts.

;)

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Ric necks are a bit skinnier (across the fretboard) than on a lot of other guitars. Some people have no problem with it, others adapt as they get used to it, for still others Ric necks just don't ever feel right for soloing.

I have small hands anyhow so it's no big deal for me, although it did take a little getting used to. I tend to be a sloppy lead player and I find I have to be a bit more careful with my finger placement on my fretting hand while soloing.

I would see if you can find one locally and try it out before you buy. If you already have done so (sounds like maybe you have) and didn't notice any prob, then just disregard my comments. It's not a big deal to a lot of people but a small percentage of people will not become acclimated to a Ric. Probably moreso the folks wth big mitts.

;)

BK

ahh ty, I have guitars across the whole range of neck thickness, from an Ibanez RG570 with the superthin wizard to my chunky neck les paul, I guess I should be fine then:)

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

ahh ty, I have guitars across the whole range of neck thickness, from an Ibanez RG570 with the superthin wizard to my chunky neck les paul, I guess I should be fine then:)

Probably so, but just to be clear, I don't mean whether the depth of the neck is chunky or slim, but am talking about the width across the fretboard, such as how far across the nut is (smaller nut on Rics means strings are closer to one another). But if necks being clubby or slender don't bug you, a slight difference in string spacing probably won't either.

BK

Archived