My leather strap is too thick for the straplocks....

krazeexharhar

• Members

It's never too thick, it just takes a couple of goes..

Once you get it on it's on tight and should only need some retightening every so often.

Of course, usuallly once you put a straplock on, it kinda just frays off the straps and its' not really usable without a straplock.

• Members

Originally posted by vexed73

cut the hole bigger on the strap. I have to do that when I use schaller strap locks.

+1.

Cut out the hole in the leather with a craft (exacto) knife, carpet knife, Stanly knife or whatever, until the threaded barrel can be screwed into the hole without displaceing any leather and kinking the strap.

• Members

That's one thing I don't like about most straplocks, they simply don't work well with thick leather straps that I like. With Schallers there's like one or two threads to hold the nut in place at best. Personally I've given up on straplocks and just use rubber washers, I just wish I could find ones that are wide but have small holes.

• Members

I take a flathead screwdriver and push the leather down around the straplock, much like a carpet layer pushes the carpet down between the baseboard and the tack strip. It's about the easiest way I've found to get Schaller straplocks on a Levy's suede strap. Once I get the nut started, I tighten it down pretty good with an open end wrench.

• Members

I HATE straplocks....

I've had them fail... and when they're on, they clank and squeak and I can hear it through my amp. :mad:

I use these...

charvel13.jpg

warmoth3.jpg

They're actually Fender Bass STRING RETAINERS... and PRS doesn't want you to know it's EXACTLY what they use on their guitars. ;)

They're oversized, but low profile. Once you slip the strap button through the cut slot, it will NOT just slip off like a normal strap button. You have to rotate the strap around to get the button through the slot again.

Least expensive, best strap buttons on the face of earth (except maybe Eddie Van Halen's ;) )

• Members

I've had problems with both major brands of strap locks. Sometimes I have to soak the strap in water to soften it up, then use pliers to compress the washers and strap together to get either the snap ring in or the threaded nut started. Once the strap dries, you have a snug fit. You do need to insure that the Dunlop brand stays tight from time to time.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Instead of cutting your strap, get you a pair of these:

DNP7007SI.jpg

They work great, cost less than $10 for a pair and don't require any modifications to your straps, guitars, or pet hamster.

~Blackbelt

Cool - good recommendation. Very simple!

Archived